Nycfc V Galaxy - Postgame & Player Ratings

Expansion draft great point:
you had Orlando City and NYCFC picking the best players from all of the shitty players other MLS didn't really need/want, for the most part
our team from preseason until now are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS
Disagree. Kreis's starting XI now who were there in March:
Saunders, Facey, Hernandez, AJ, Mix, TMac, Poku, Villa

That's 8 out of 11 who were there from day 1. We aren't a completely different team. We are a team that has added 3 pieces: Iraola, Angelino, Pirlo. And we are a team with a coach who took 4 months to figure out there were better players to start than Wingert and Grabavoy.

Now we should be a more different team than we are, but not by much. Essentially, sub out AJ and in Lamp. But that at least is one thing I won't pin on #thegenius.

In truth we have dropped many, many points to lower quality opponents. Part of this is normal expansion year stuff. Part is that we would have done better with a stronger system, lineup, subs.

As for LA, they have 3 DPs, plus 3 USMNT, plus another USMNT imminently (Lleget). Plus they have history, which breeds trust, which increases effort. Plus they have a clear system so the players all know when to charge forward and when to get back.

Plus, plus, plus.

Two months ago I was asked on the fan podcast what my biggest concern was. I said with all our new parts our fans would expect immediate results rather than a backslide. Well, now, here we are in the backslide.

I'm holding out hopes for my prediction from 3 weeks ago. One more bad game on Saturday. Then 7 wins to close the regular season and send us into the playoffs.

Great question Mgarbowski. Truth is it will be a challenge this coming offseason and a lot has to do with bringing in better talent from south america and maybe even overseas. You are right, Poku is 1 in a million, horseshoe, lucky charms lucky. We got extremely lucky with him. We can't expect to raid NASL and USL to improve our team. The way to go about it is being smart with bringing in whoever gets released from other teams. There will be about 5 players released for whatever reason, usually about money, that can really help most teams in MLS in any given off-season. I am talking about players that are too high off a cost for their current club but is still a good player. We absolutely can't strike out on another striker and I expect us to get one outside of MLS. We need to pair Villa up top with a true striker and slide Poku underneath as a CAM.

The super draft is an afterthought to be honest. Hardly ever will a rookie form college come in and make an impact, except for this year in Cyle Larin. We should hopefully have a full season of Khiry, his speed is a tremendous boost, and hopefully he can learn and grow and provide that spark plug off the bench like he did early this year.

If Lampard doesn't come back, I would take his DP money and spending on a younger DP mid, I would prefer to look in Latin America/South America, but I don't do their scouting. Someone that has skill with the ball at his feet and can withstand pressure much like Poku. A midfield of Poku, Mix, Pirlo, and another skilled midfielder on the flanks will be huge.

However, THE MOST IMPORTANT improvement we need is the CB tandem and to find a replacement for Saunders. Our backline this whole year has been absolutely atrocious, and they are all to blame.

So in short, see who get's released in MLS that can help, look to make a trade of some sort. Look to bring a GK outside of MLS or trade for Nick Rimando. Look to bring a two solid CBs, I am not sold on Facey and Mena, not by a long shot. And a replacement for Angelino ....sigh....I will miss this kid.
Thanks. This clarifies things. I think in the end you're just more optimistic about the pace of improvement than I am. We'll see.

Reactions: S1ARK5
Thanks. This clarifies things. I think in the end you're just more optimistic about the pace of improvement than I am. We'll see.
Well, you gotta remember, in MLS things can change very very quickly. Something like team chemistry is HUGE in MLS, look at the redbulls this year. Last year arguably they had a better team on paper but with dickheads like Henry and Cahill pretty much running the team as they see fit, and everyone afraid to make a mistake with them, they didnt play as a team. They leave and voila, BWP, Sam, Dax, Robles, Miazga, Lade, etc all of a sudden look like world beaters. Again, in MLS something as intangible as chemistry makes a huge difference as opposed to other leagues.

Look at DC a few years ago, they were one of the worst teams in MLS history, the very next year they win the eastern conference regular season, number 1 seed. So it has been proven time in and time out, in MLS it is a year to year league, you just never know what will happen.

Obviously we need to improve in all facets, from the team on the pitch, to management, I am sure for all it was a big learning experience for everyone. I really cant wait until next year to see how we gel.

Reactions: Mikeylito
Expansion draft great point:

Disagree. Kreis's starting XI now who were there in March:
Saunders, Facey, Hernandez, AJ, Mix, TMac, Poku, Villa

That's 8 out of 11 who were there from day 1. We aren't a completely different team. We are a team that has added 3 pieces: Iraola, Angelino, Pirlo. And we are a team with a coach who took 4 months to figure out there were better players to start than Wingert and Grabavoy.

Now we should be a more different team than we are, but not by much. Essentially, sub out AJ and in Lamp. But that at least is one thing I won't pin on #thegenius.

In truth we have dropped many, many points to lower quality opponents. Part of this is normal expansion year stuff. Part is that we would have done better with a stronger system, lineup, subs.

As for LA, they have 3 DPs, plus 3 USMNT, plus another USMNT imminently (Lleget). Plus they have history, which breeds trust, which increases effort. Plus they have a clear system so the players all know when to charge forward and when to get back.

Plus, plus, plus.

Two months ago I was asked on the fan podcast what my biggest concern was. I said with all our new parts our fans would expect immediate results rather than a backslide. Well, now, here we are in the backslide.

I'm holding out hopes for my prediction from 3 weeks ago. One more bad game on Saturday. Then 7 wins to close the regular season and send us into the playoffs.
You make some good points however, Iraola, Angelino, and Pirlo have not been with us for 4 months, they just started playing a few weeks back. Also, Aj never really started that many games, he has only played a handful. The core of the team from the beginning of the season until now, in terms of how many games they have played together, has been Villa, Jacobsen, Facey, Saunders, Tmac, Hernandez, and Grabavoy. Again just going by on minutes played. Guys like Mix, was in and out until a couple of weeks ago until the Gold Cup finished. Pirlo got here a few weeks ago, Angelino, Iraola, same thing, You are talking about 4 key players, not to mention Poku who is FINALLY getting consistent minutes and starting. So that is HALF of your team right there. Not sure if you ever played organized soccer at a decent level, but do you know how HARD it is to incorporate 1 to 2 new players mid-season let alone half of your starting 11? Let alone in a league like MLS, and let alone when all of the new players you have brought in were from outside of MLS.

I dont think it does anyone any good to compare us to the galaxy. It's not fair to us for many of the reasons you stated above.

You make some good points however, Iraola, Angelino, and Pirlo have not been with us for 4 months, they just started playing a few weeks back. Also, Aj never really started that many games, he has only played a handful. The core of the team from the beginning of the season until now, in terms of how many games they have played together, has been Villa, Jacobsen, Facey, Saunders, Tmac, Hernandez, and Grabavoy. Again just going by on minutes played. Guys like Mix, was in and out until a couple of weeks ago until the Gold Cup finished. Pirlo got here a few weeks ago, Angelino, Iraola, same thing, You are talking about 4 key players, not to mention Poku who is FINALLY getting consistent minutes and starting. So that is HALF of your team right there. Not sure if you ever played organized soccer at a decent level, but do you know how HARD it is to incorporate 1 to 2 new players mid-season let alone half of your starting 11? Let alone in a league like MLS, and let alone when all of the new players you have brought in were from outside of MLS.

I dont think it does anyone any good to compare us to the galaxy. It's not fair to us for many of the reasons you stated above.
Hard with the back and forth of the internet but you and I actually agree on most of this. I was arguing the first week of July that my biggest concern was impatient fans who expect the new players to integrate and win from day 1. (Incidentally, that's one reason I predicted 3 games ago that we would have a four game winless streak followed by a 7 game win streak to close the season. The 4-game stretch was my inner realist. The 7 game stretch is my fan optimist coming out.)

My 4 month comment was a nod to how long it took Kreis to come to certain conclusions which could have solidified our current core back in early April. Though I'll admit that is unfair to expect 3-4 games to be enough to evaluate so many different parts and draw effective conclusions. But hell, I'm a fan. Sometimes I'm unfair.

Hard with the back and forth of the internet but you and I actually agree on most of this. I was arguing the first week of July that my biggest concern was impatient fans who expect the new players to integrate and win from day 1. (Incidentally, that's one reason I predicted 3 games ago that we would have a four game winless streak followed by a 7 game win streak to close the season. The 4-game stretch was my inner realist. The 7 game stretch is my fan optimist coming out.)

My 4 month comment was a nod to how long it took Kreis to come to certain conclusions which could have solidified our current core back in early April. Though I'll admit that is unfair to expect 3-4 games to be enough to evaluate so many different parts and draw effective conclusions. But hell, I'm a fan. Sometimes I'm unfair.
I get you man believe me. I am a big time fan of this club and this year has been really tough. I think what has helped me become more of a patient fan is that I have been exposed to the inner workings of pro soccer clubs, and I saw first hand how decisions are made from the lineup to acquiring players to gameday etc....and that gives me some perspective. However I too think sometimes why is this happening, why is that happening, why doesn't he do this or that, and then I take a step back and think, these guys, all involved in the team are doing their best to try and win, believe no one, not us fans want this club to win more then the players and management, and that their must be reason why they do certain things, even though to us its mind blowing, and we question it.

But in reality, just like Orlando City and us, we still have a chance, albeit a very small chance of making the playoffs. Say we win our next 6 out of our last 8 games, which can happen, we will be right in the thick of things and considering how weird and how brutal this year has been, this would be a nice way of ending the regular season. This is why I keep preaching early in the year, the MLS season is A LONG Season, lots of games. To think how shitty we have played all year and to still have a small chance of turning it around, its is CRAZY if you think about it.

Good discussion on what is needed to improve the club and unfortunately the few avenues that NYCFC has given their existing roster and where talent is available. It's been proven that just finding 3-4 signings + increased chemistry from playing together can turn a team completely around. (That's how DC did its worst to first.)

Several of them might be on this roster already:
1. Shelton. Hope he makes the "leap" to a serviceable MLS player - either as a support striker or a winger.
2. George John. Bigger leap, but say he comes back from injury close to his prior form. Huge upgrade from Hernandez (i.e. replacement player) to a top MLS quality CB.

Add 1-2 shrewd signings on the int'l market - for example, look at SJ after signing Anibal Godoy - and you can have a turn around quite quickly. Wouldn't he look good next to Pirlo instead of Andrew Jacobson?