Nycfc V Redbulls Postmatch

I really want MLS to fix the huge discrepancy in games-played that happens until super late into the season. It's one thing for a couple of teams to have a game or two in hand, but, as you rightly imply, the MLS table is nonsensical garbage for far too much of the season.

I agree completely although I like that MLS worked with Montreal during their Champions League run. I also wish MLS observed the FIFA international breaks. It's just ridiculous that clubs, including us, miss some of their best players for international call ups. Mix is enough of a loss, but imagine if Villa, Lampard or Pirlo start getting more call ups for their countries.

Reactions: Kjbert
And they call us trust fund babies while they're wasting $10 bud lights. I have to admit I thought about accidentally spilling mine on the smug bastards in front of me (in 105, somehow, the entire front row was RB people) but I can't afford it.

I was right below them only heard them in beginning, after they scored second goal and near the end. I did notice lots of beer thrown to lower levels.

Reactions: TommyM and Kjbert
I also wish MLS observed the FIFA international breaks.
I think if MLS gets what they want in the next decade, namely young, talented players from around the world choosing MLS over the big Euro leagues, they'll be forced into observing the international breaks. Otherwise, I don't see them doing it mostly just out of "we're an AMERICAN SPORTS LEAGUE" stubbornness, I guess?

In a somewhat positive note, I've heard like 4-5 people at work so far talking about the game. People that wouldn't know a soccer ball from a cue ball a few weeks ago.

It's disappointing. But hell. We got Lampard, Pirlo, Iraola & Angelino coming very soon...the Red Bulls have what?

A ton of soccer against the better half of both leagues. We have played most of our games against the teams on the bottom half of both tables. We have ended up this poorly against the worst the league has to offer. Which good teams have we played? NE without Jones and Nguyen. Then we have gotten destroyed by NJ 2x and Seattle.
We actually didn't play that poorly against Seattle, if I'm remembering correctly. We had a lot of the ball and were moving it well, but Seattle absolutely killed us on the counter.

I think Iraola and Angelino help to fix that. I could absolutely be wrong, but they're more gifted than what we've got on the wings right now, and should be able to be more disciplined against a team on the counter.

But it's important to note that we're not the first defense that Martins and Dempsey have carved up. They're really fucking good.

One thing I noticed watching the game back. The Red Bulls are definitely a stronger unit, as far as team unity goes. Did you see Marsch going wild in their 2nd goal. Kreis is emotionless.

And that's exactly why he did it. It's a derby, you play hard and you fight for your crest and your fans. Both games, it seemed like only RB cared about this game. After the first 10 mins, our guys played like it was an end of the season friendly. I can't for the life of me understand how a team comes out so flat after halftime especially in a derby game. I just can't.
That might be one of the problems with being an expansion team that's only played half a season together. We're still just a bunch of players and not really a team yet. Nobody's played side by side for four years straight yet. Heck, we've not even really had the same lineup in two consecutive games yet for that matter.

...the Red Bulls have what?

2 wins against us. That's all that matters right now. We've done our part as fans. We go HARD for this club no matter what the criticisms are about us. Wherever we go, we let people know that this club is real and that it matters to us. It's their job to win in moments like these.

They are not yet ready for the Broadway lights.

Reactions: TommyM and Paul
We actually didn't play that poorly against Seattle, if I'm remembering correctly. We had a lot of the ball and were moving it well, but Seattle absolutely killed us on the counter.

I think Iraola and Angelino help to fix that. I could absolutely be wrong, but they're more gifted than what we've got on the wings right now, and should be able to be more disciplined against a team on the counter.

But it's important to note that we're not the first defense that Martins and Dempsey have carved up. They're really fucking good.

You're absolutely right that Seattle was a better 3-1 loss than last night's. But the Seattle result was also more in line with expectations, so this one hurt a lot more. We played well against the Sounders, and afterwards you just sort of shrugged it off.

Don't have it in me to go back and read all nine pages of this thread, so I'll just add that this game was incredibly frustrating because of how chippy it was, and the lack of effort/desire over the last sixty minutes was just unacceptable.

On to Montreal, and July.

Reactions: BxLio91
2 wins against us. That's all that matters right now. We've done our part as fans. We go HARD for this club no matter what the criticisms are about us. Wherever we go, we let people know that this club is real and that it matters to us. It's their job to win in moments like these.

They are not yet ready for the Broadway lights.

I was trying to be cup 1/2 full today...cause there was not one positive to cling on to.

You're absolutely right that Seattle was a better 3-1 loss than last night's. But the Seattle result was also more in line with expectations, so this one hurt a lot more. We played well against the Sounders, and afterwards you just sort of shrugged it off.

Don't have it in me to go back and read all nine pages of this thread, so I'll just add that this game was incredibly frustrating because of how chippy it was, and the lack of effort/desire over the last sixty minutes was just unacceptable.

On to Montreal, and July.

i kept thinking they were just tired but i dont know maybe those two quick goals just sucked the life out of them.

Reactions: TommyM
two entirely separate thoughts

1) what the fuck, how was "puto" back. it was LOUD AND CLEAR throughout the supporters section. i was front-middle of 238 and heard it behind me from the back of 238 and to the right (237 or further down). this is not a fucking thing.

2) as i'm sure has been said, the hard part about MLS observing the national team callup time as breaks is that it doesn't want to compete with NFL and NCAA college football.

i kept thinking they were just tired but i dont know maybe those two quick goals just sucked the life out of them.

The Red Bulls were an hour late to the game, stuck in traffic on the GWB. That explains their slow start maybe. As far as NYCFC being tired, watching the game back on TV. We had some players soaking wet from sweat from running around like their heads were cut off. It was interesting that the RB didn't warm up after the half. They came back out at zero and went right into the game. Guess whatever that tactic was worked.

Last edited:
Miazga's celebration really got under my skin to be honest, i was ready to jump out of the stands and choke him out

He's not a Yankee, he can't do that shit. And if you have the balls to do such a celebration, do it the right way. Go to the home plate (which is covered by tarp) and hit your fake home run and circle the bases, maybe even slide into home and break your fucking leg. Don't hit a ball from third base into foul territory.