Philadelphia - Postmatch - Knockout Round

Everything looked pretty good, except Ilsinho again showing the world that Mata and Sweat are not very good at defending. And Sweat laid another turd in the reckless challenge to Bedoya that could had easily ended in a penalty. OTOH so many bad offside calls against us! I though refs were supposed to keep the flag down in close calls and let plays progress and go to VAR in case of a goal. These ones never got the memo.
That Sweat challenge should have been a penalty. That should have gone to VAR.

Also, in the first half, the line judge for Philly's attacking half seemed to play the VAR-offsides perfect. There was at least one instance where he kept the flag down, let the play go, then put it up and called offsides.

However, the other line judge was the complete opposite pulling the trigger super quick on offsides and not allowing any reviews.

That Sweat challenge should have been a penalty. That should have gone to VAR.

Also, in the first half, the line judge for Philly's attacking half seemed to play the VAR-offsides perfect. There was at least one instance where he kept the flag down, let the play go, then put it up and called offsides.

However, the other line judge was the complete opposite pulling the trigger super quick on offsides and not allowing any reviews.
Yeah, said the same thing at the time, definitely a penalty.

*goes back and thinks about it*
you know, I'm a complete dumbass!
That's what 5 hours of sleep and 6 hours of straight classes does to you lol
I did think Herrera needed to be subbed out earlier. He looked like he was a bit gassed. I was hoping he was the first sub to come out.

I did think Herrera needed to be subbed out earlier. He looked like he was a bit gassed. I was hoping he was the first sub to come out.
I am surprised he brought in Castellanos for Villa, I was sure we'd get to see a Berget return

Could argue the ball was gone because he chose to cross it. All Bedoya had to do was lift it and let Sweat make contact.
But would that matter? It was still a foul whether or not he had the ball.

The ball was gone last Sunday for the PK call against SJ

Reactions: Ulrich
Until we lost our way a little in the 2nd, this was probably the best ball we've played in a while. They looked loose and like they were having fun. Nice creative play.

What was the announced attendance...looked like 13-15k

Until we lost our way a little in the 2nd, this was probably the best ball we've played in a while. They looked loose and like they were having fun. Nice creative play.

What was the announced attendance...looked like 13-15k
Announced attendance was 15153... it seemed like way less than that

Reactions: adam
What a performance. Maxi Moralez should have been a finalist for league MVP. He's our engine. What a season he's having.

If David Villa wants to come back, we should have him back. When he's on the field, he hasn't lost a step. If he can stay healthy, he's still a 20-goal scorer.

We are a completely different team with Yangel in there.

Bring on Atlanta. We matched up well against them in both meetings earlier this year, and that series is going to be a blast to watch.

COME ON NEW YORK

But would that matter? It was still a foul whether or not he had the ball.

The ball was gone last Sunday for the PK call against SJ
Sounds right. I guess I usually only consider it a foul if play was impeded. I also think the penalty was nonsense on Sunday. If the player has no chance of getting to the ball then there was no net effect. I'm too inebriated to think about whether that's true or not right now.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Sounds right. I guess I usually only consider it a foul if play was impeded. I also think the penalty was nonsense on Sunday. If the player has no chance of getting to the ball then there was no net effect. I'm too inebriated to think about whether that's true or not right now.

Sweat's reckless tackle on Bedoya last night was definitely worth a penalty. The Sunday penalty is a bit more complicated: Ring had already taken the ball when Johnson felled their man. It was a typical 50/50 decision, but it's quite hard to argue with the ref pointing to the spot. Anyway, it was completely unnecessary, as Ring was steaming in with such pace that Johnson should have let him take care of it.

A couple of comments on last night (agreeing with many others): Maxi Moralez is/was worth every cent of his DP wages! Even those three that go above $2m. What a season he's having! Wonderful linking play up and down, left and right. He seems to always know where to go, and can put a killer pass. What a monster he'd be, were he just a little bit bigger and heavier.

Also Herrera put in a fantastic shift. He started the season well below the expectations, and now suddenly after five months' absence he's found his form, just on time. His presence makes Ring look like he's just guarding the park. Herrera does so much of the dirty work it's nearly insane. I hope the club can retain him for another season.

Villa can still do it against the lesser sides like PU, but IMO he's lost just a little of his pace, and I have a feeling that, how wistful it will ever be for the fans, this is his last season. The club needs a world class finisher like him as a DP, and I hope his successor is sorted out soon.

I wrote earlier that the team badly needs the Callens-Chanot of 2017, and it seems it's working again. And what can you say about ITS's finishing? Sublime, brilliant. Also the pass that Tinnerholm put in for Maxi to lob Blake was one of the sweetest I've seen for a long time.

I'm not saying Atlanta are shaking in their boots, but they must be at least a bit worried by now.

Waking up after a win...
giphy.gif

One thing that baffles me completely is why is Amagat given minutes in every game. Not that he'd have let the team down during his 10+5 minutes last night, but I just can't see what he brings to the game. This really is Torrent's blind spot.

that’s two games in a row that Trusty basically killed any chance Philly had - he was a disaster and was rightfully picked on by NYCFC. A better CB and NYCFC doesn’t get the looks and breaks on net.

Agreed, but at the same time I really like McKenzie. For all of the bad Trusty showed, McKenzie did what he could to compensate. He looked composed and has some skill for sure. Also, Wikipedia says he was born in the Bronx.

One thing that baffles me completely is why is Amagat given minutes in every game. Not that he'd have let the team down during his 10+5 minutes last night, but I just can't see what he brings to the game. This really is Torrent's blind spot.
I agree with you, but I think I understand the logic for it last night. Though, Dome forced his hand there by including Amagat in the 18 and by his earlier substitution.

When Ofori came on and ITS came off, we moved to 3 ATB with Mata and Tinny as wingbacks and Maxi/Villa up top. Ofori coming in left Amagat as the only remaining midfielder available on the bench.

Then, you really wanna sub Herrera off due to reasons we all know, and the only positional like for like there would be Amagat. I think Dome wanted to keep the current shape, so went for that.

Now, I think if I could have my way, I would first, had Sands on the bench over Amagat, but also have brought Ofori in for Herrera as the first sub, keep the initial shape a bit longer, and then bring in Ibeagha for ITS, moving Sweat over to LWB, and pushing Mata up the field.

Like I said, I didn’t like that Amagat came on when looking at the game as a whole, but considering the decisions Dome already made, I kinda understood it.