Philadelphia - Postmatch - Knockout Round

Good first half, but I hate how quickly we get away from tactics that work.

I'm hoping this changes on Sunday. Whatever you think of Dome, he's experienced enough to know you can't game manage a 2-0 lead in the first leg of a 2-game set. Of course, we have to get a lead first to test this theory.

I found the game very tough to measure, because we gave up so much possession after 2-0 and especially in the second half. On the other hand, though we let them have the ball and do a lot of stuff, it didn't lead to many chances, But on the gripping hand, those chances were all from very close. The Union managed to take 4 off-target shots from right in front of goal.

For about 2/3rds of the season the conventional wisdom was that ATL-NJRB-NYCFC was at one level and everyone else was at a lower level. Whoever came in 3rd in that group would have to beat the other 2 to get to the MLS Cup. Now that we are healthy again, I think the conventional wisdom was right. Philadelphia was a good team but they never looked like they could compete at our level.

Agreed, but at the same time I really like McKenzie. For all of the bad Trusty showed, McKenzie did what he could to compensate. He looked composed and has some skill for sure. Also, Wikipedia says he was born in the Bronx.
We did the u20s a solid. Mark will now be able to get down to Florida and lock up qualifying. He has potential to be a top 4 league center back. Supreme athleticism and flashes of brilliance. Several times, he hung with Villa’s shimmies, stood him up, tackled the ball and strode away like a boss.

Props to Chanot for captaining the fan appreciation tour after the game.
Chanot was on the ground numerous times last night away from the play, took plenty of time to get up sometimes with the help of the ref, and then was low-fived by a teammate. I get that it’s time wasting to milk the clock, but there were definitely some where he went down with zero contact and it didn’t even look legit.

For about 2/3rds of the season the conventional wisdom was that ATL-NJRB-NYCFC was at one level and everyone else was at a lower level. Whoever came in 3rd in that group would have to beat the other 2 to get to the MLS Cup. Now that we are healthy again, I think the conventional wisdom was right. Philadelphia was a good team but they never looked like they could compete at our level.

Yes, but I would add SKC to that group if Felipe Gutierrez is healthy. Our dearest Khiry Shelton may be their week spot, but Russell and Salloi are sick good. Seattle with its new additions is also dangerous. And LAFC because of Vela.

Reactions: Ulrich and Sabo
Last night Chanot was like a wall in defense, he was absolutely roasting those forwards, it was brilliant to watch.
Yes, but he got a yellow for holding on to a rushing Picault, who was coming onto him at full speed on a counter. That is something he couldn't do if he were already on a yellow.

Yes, but I would add SKC to that group if Felipe Gutierrez is healthy. Our dearest Khiry Shelton may be their week spot, but Russell and Salloi are sick good. Seattle with its new additions is also dangerous. And LAFC because of Vela.
That's fair but I am not sure what to make of SKC. Their record is crazy better with Khiry on the field than without even though he can't score goals. Some games Russell and Salloi look like MVPs and others they are ineffective.

Anyone other than RSL and Columbus could go all the way this year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
im sure i can google this myself but hoping someone here knows and can give me a quick clear answer. Are DOGSO fouls still an automatic red or not. Because it wasnt given to maxi but then was given in the Dallas Portland game.
That was a head scratcher.... I was sure that as the last man chasing maxi and taking him down it’d be a straight red, but the yellow came out instead.

On one hand, I was happy any foul was called since the refs universally ignore Maxi’s plights, but on the other, he was treated as second-class/double-standard with it not going to automatic red

That was a head scratcher.... I was sure that as the last man chasing maxi and taking him down it’d be a straight red, but the yellow came out instead.

On one hand, I was happy any foul was called since the refs universally ignore Maxi’s plights, but on the other, he was treated as second-class/double-standard with it not going to automatic red

Still doing research, however, if FIFA changed the rule why wasnt it equal for both?

45097822_2107016569627692_1404279715371417600_n.png

Last edited:
Still doing research, however, if FIFA changed the rule why wasnt it equal for both?

But didn’t the philly player hold/push Maxi, and that’s be a deliberate foul that incurs a red? It definitely did not look accidental.

But didn’t the philly player hold/push Maxi, and that’s be a deliberate foul that incurs a red? It definitely did not look accidental.

i agree. im not sure im understanding. here is a link to the one in the portland game:

https://streamable.com/rponv

the one on maxi looked to me more blatent than this one, but maybe im being biased.

ETA: but either way i think they either both deserved reds or both deserved yellows.

Reactions: Ulrich
Last night Chanot was like a wall in defense, he was absolutely roasting those forwards, it was brilliant to watch.
And that play where he was able to fight off Picault and hold him to a bad angle shot while avoiding giving up a penalty (because, face it, Fafa is gonna beat him on pace), was wonderful

Reactions: Shwafta

This rule change only applies inside the penalty area. As it says, they decided the triple punishment was too much- PK plus RC plus suspension. So inside the box, DOGSO becomes a YC plus PK unless it’s blatant. Neither incident last night was inside the pen box so regular DOGSO rules apply.
The difference, whether you agree or not, is there were 3 other defenders- behind yes but close to Maxi and they were all faster than him so we was never going to be 1 on 1 with the GK . The Portland foul was isolated with no other defenders in a position to catch up.