Poku Sold?

Wynalda was on SiriusXM FC and was trying to defend Poku (a personal friend), but in my opinion the praise was quite damning. He described a player who would/could not adapt to what his coached wanted from him and wanted the coaches to adapt a system around him. He described a player who, "after giving up the ball is not going to turn on his heels and sprint 60 yards to play defense. He has trained his body to do other things and will never be able to do that."

He also claimed that there are "a number of $3mm offers," from European teams out there, so Miami can turn a huge profit by just holding him until the January window opens. That sounds quite mad to me.

Reactions: Goodfella and adam
Wynalda was on SiriusXM FC and was trying to defend Poku (a personal friend), but in my opinion the praise was quite damning. He described a player who would/could not adapt to what his coached wanted from him and wanted the coaches to adapt a system around him. He described a player who, "after giving up the ball is not going to turn on his heels and sprint 60 yards to play defense. He has trained his body to do other things and will never be able to do that."

He also claimed that there are "a number of $3mm offers," from European teams out there, so Miami can turn a huge profit by just holding him until the January window opens. That sounds quite mad to me.

If he's sold for that much eventually is Reyna then considered an idiot for selling him too soon?

If you look at his comparison, Yaya Toure, he's the same way and still an amazing attacking player. Poku's best position is Center Forward where he can do whatever he wants up to on the attack. Don't expect him to track back and defend.

Last edited:
If he's sold for that much eventually is Reyna then considered an idiot for selling him too soon?

If you look at his comparison, Yaya Toure, he's the same way and still an amazing attacking player. Poku's best position is Center Forward where he can do whatever he wants up to on the attack. Don't expect him to track back and defend.
It's a slippery slope.... there may be offers for $3M, but Reyna has to weigh waiting until January to get more $$ but the same amount of GAM versus selling now for overall less $$ but clearing the same GAM while now having the means to bolster the club the way the coach wants.... that said, waiting is no guarantee since it risks the possibility of an injury (not that Poku is playing). For me, if the club got to keep the entire fee for GAM rather than it being capped at $500K, then waiting would make sense, but not under the current rules.

I don't know all of the rules of a green card, but does Poku need to stay in the US, as his primary residence, to stay on tract to get citizenship? If so, then it makes sense to want to go to the NASL rather than overseas.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
It's a slippery slope.... there may be offers for $3M, but Reyna has to weigh waiting until January to get more $$ but the same amount of GAM versus selling now for overall less $$ but clearing the same GAM while now having the means to bolster the club the way the coach wants.... that said, waiting is no guarantee since it risks the possibility of an injury (not that Poku is playing). For me, if the club got to keep the entire fee for GAM rather than it being capped at $500K, then waiting would make sense, but not under the current rules.

I don't know all of the rules of a green card, but does Poku need to stay in the US, as his primary residence, to stay on tract to get citizenship? If so, then it makes sense to want to go to the NASL rather than overseas.
If he goes to work overseas, his green card and pathway to citizenship goes down the tubes.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Then that's why he's playing in the NASL for $500K/year.... I'd say he made a very prudent life/family decision.

He's 24. He's going to remain in NASL making that salary and more for the rest of his career?

He's 24. He's going to remain in NASL making that salary and more for the rest of his career?
Probably at least until he gets his citizenship. Why jeopardize that process?

The GAM is capped at $500k. What does Reyna care if someone wants to sell him for more. He gets the most money the league will share. Massive F U to MLS. We get the money we need now. Poku gets a raise. Everyone wins but MLS

The GAM is capped at $500k. What does Reyna care if someone wants to sell him for more. He gets the most money the league will share. Massive F U to MLS. We get the money we need now. Poku gets a raise. Everyone wins but MLS

GAM from transfer fees is capped at $650K, so while your point is well taken, there is room for a little more. Of course, maybe we have a sell on clause that would capture it. Either way, I agree it is a win-win.

If he goes to work overseas, his green card and pathway to citizenship goes down the tubes.

He is married to a U.S. citizen.

GAM from transfer fees is capped at $650K, so while your point is well taken, there is room for a little more. Of course, maybe we have a sell on clause that would capture it. Either way, I agree it is a win-win.

He is married to a U.S. citizen.

Thank you. So he took the deal now and sacrificed $150,000 of upside. Time value wise - let's hope they know they have another deal in place where they can utilize those dollars in this transfer window to help with the second half of the year.

Thank you. So he took the deal now and sacrificed $150,000 of upside. Time value wise - let's hope they know they have another deal in place where they can utilize those dollars in this transfer window to help with the second half of the year.
Nothing in life is ever a given. That stock you're holding that's made you a profit on paper..... sell it today and the return on your investment is real - hold it another 6 months/a year and the value could go down. What happens if Poku tears his knee next week or next month - that $3M transfer is worthless......

Nothing in life is ever a given. That stock you're holding that's made you a profit on paper..... sell it today and the return on your investment is real - hold it another 6 months/a year and the value could go down. What happens if Poku tears his knee next week or next month - that $3M transfer is worthless......

Exactly.

I really hope someone holds the team's feet to the fire here. Spend the money. Improve the team. We're in second place. That's a big deal at the mid-way point. We haven't played great, but we've showed signs. Go out and get a goalkeeper. Go out and get a CB. Go out and get a goal poacher. I don't care the age. Go get someone that can help you win a cup this year.

Exactly.

I really hope someone holds the team's feet to the fire here. Spend the money. Improve the team. We're in second place. That's a big deal at the mid-way point. We haven't played great, but we've showed signs. Go out and get a goalkeeper. Go out and get a CB. Go out and get a goal poacher. I don't care the age. Go get someone that can help you win a cup this year.

Could you imagine...

Reactions: Kjbert
I received an email from Emily yesterday that I won the Poku training gear sweepstakes.

My daughter broke down crying again when she saw that email.
giving out life lessons, that's so poku. I miss him already :cry:

Reactions: NYC24
I received an email from Emily yesterday that I won the Poku training gear sweepstakes.

My daughter broke down crying again when she saw that email.

I think if my kid broke down crying about a player leaving NYCFC I'd pretend to be upset and console the child, but inside I would be very proud!

Reactions: Ulrich