Premier League 16/17

de Gea just made an outrageous save (62nd minute). I am sure it will make its way online in short order.

As I was typing this, CP scored, so I assumed that I jinxed them and stopped. But now I feel comfortable posting this.

Reactions: shane88
When did Everton go full heel? They cocked up the match like relegation fodder today. Barkley should get a ban for that "tackle".

Reactions: shane88
Chelsea have won 12 in a row and have a seven point lead in first. No European Football to play. Is it their league championship to lose?

Chelsea have won 12 in a row and have a seven point lead in first. No European Football to play. Is it their league championship to lose?
Possibly, but the transfer window is about to open which could change the landscape dramatically. With the way Chelsea is playing, it's doubtful that reinforcements will have anything besides a neutral impact - best case, they continues to win so not really a net positive, with the flip being they have continuity issues with working the new guy(s) in. Other teams that have lost more matches have a bigger window to have reinforcements make a positive impact since they obviously have 1+ positions that aren't pulling their weight.

Putting money on Chelsea is probably a safe bet, but if Liverpool gets a defender or Arsenal gets somebody that can give Sanchez/Ozil a break, or if MCity finds a forward to take pressure off Aguero, then it's going to be a real battle in the spring.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Wasn't there talk about FA maybe banning him? What happened to that?

It ended up getting subsumed into a wider investigation into corruption in the English game, which will likely take at least 6 months and possibly more like 12 to be resolved. Until they come up with findings in that, they've likely decided that they can't prosecute. By the time they actually do resolve it all, he'll have been forgotten.

At least as a manager you can guarantee he'll be bound to be getting dog's abuse twice a week from opposition fans, now...

Possibly, but the transfer window is about to open which could change the landscape dramatically. With the way Chelsea is playing, it's doubtful that reinforcements will have anything besides a neutral impact - best case, they continues to win so not really a net positive, with the flip being they have continuity issues with working the new guy(s) in. Other teams that have lost more matches have a bigger window to have reinforcements make a positive impact since they obviously have 1+ positions that aren't pulling their weight.

Putting money on Chelsea is probably a safe bet, but if Liverpool gets a defender or Arsenal gets somebody that can give Sanchez/Ozil a break, or if MCity finds a forward to take pressure off Aguero, then it's going to be a real battle in the spring.
ManCity has Gabriel joining them in the Winter.

Yes, most likely. Historically, this kind of point gap at this part of the season *usually* leads to the team in first winning the League. If Chelsea has a meltdown AND City has a huge turnaround, City might squeak it.

This episode of The Double Pivot (a podcast which I love), breaks the situation down pretty convincingly.

If you were Bob Bradley, would you have taken the Swansea job without some kind of "no fire" two season contract? I have to think that everyone at the negotiating table knew that Swans were most likely going down no matter who was managing.

Yes. Hand them the trophy now. Best PL team ever. Lock to break Arsenal's consecutive wins record and lock for the title. Their best players are ALWAYS healthy and their defense is impenetrable.

Swansea just sacked their useless American manager ,the final straw was when he started talking about pks and road trips.
Ridiculous appointment ,wouldn't be surprised to see klinsman rock up there next

Swansea just sacked their useless American manager ,the final straw was when he started talking about pks and road trips.
Ridiculous appointment ,wouldn't be surprised to see klinsman rock up there next
That's a hot take. Swansea was a disaster before he arrived and he had no say in bringing in players. A pig is still a pig even with makeup on.

If you were Bob Bradley, would you have taken the Swansea job without some kind of "no fire" two season contract?
Well, I guess I got my answer.

We won't see an American managing an EPL team for another generation, at least. The fact that Bradley was willing to take a job where he was set up to fail probably speaks to a really self-destructive hubristic problem he has.

Well, I guess I got my answer.

We won't see an American managing an EPL team for another generation, at least. The fact that Bradley was willing to take a job where he was set up to fail probably speaks to a really self-destructive hubristic problem he has.

I can see Sigi Schmidt coaching I now the EPL soon. Just think, hire him for a few years and win some FA Cups then fire him mid season during a collapse year and you'll turnaround and win the Premier League.

That's a hot take. Swansea was a disaster before he arrived and he had no say in bringing in players. A pig is still a pig even with makeup on.
Not really mate no one in this country could understand why on earth he would be given the job ,its surprising he lasted as long as he did,apparently his training ideas were from the stone age and hated by the players,and he managed to alienate the fans with his Pk ,road trip nonsense.

Not really mate no one in this country could understand why on earth he would be given the job ,its surprising he lasted as long as he did,apparently his training ideas were from the stone age and hated by the players,and he managed to alienate the fans with his Pk ,road trip nonsense.

I'm sorry but fuck off with this language bullshit. He had different coaching ideas. Swansea was going to be relegated even before he joined. Make the EPL English Again, right?

That's changing the subject, isn't it?

His training ideas were good enough to take a point off a superior English team coached by an Englishman when on the biggest stage; and in truth, his team should have had all three points.

What his players thought of him was rubbish. With the exception of their Icelander, they are all journeymen or worse and are rats scrambling for the high ground of a sinking ship. They'll bemoan anybody in an effort to push blame. In the end, they all just sucked on the field and looked more interested in being matadors on defense then brick masons.

What's surprising is how xenophobic the fan base was to pick on language. What are they hoping for, an elite English manager? Or even a halfway competent one? They'll be waiting forever if the big clubs' preferences are any indication since they all employ foreigners.

You may not like Bradley, but he's got a hell of a more impressive CV than any English manager that gets sacked one day and picked up again by another EPL bottom-dweller.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
I'm sorry but fuck off with this language bullshit. He had different coaching ideas. Swansea was going to be relegated even before he joined. Make the EPL English Again, right?
Make the English prem English again ? Haha there isn't any decent English managers and hasn't been for years mate.Swansea are going to get relegated are they ?
If you think all managers use that lingo over here fine,he came across as clueless to fans and players and was a surprise he lasted so long.
They got shut of him before Jan 1 when the transfer window opens as god knows what crap he would have signed

Make the English prem English again ? Haha there isn't any decent English managers and hasn't been for years mate.Swansea are going to get relegated are they ?
If you think all managers use that lingo over here fine,he came across as clueless to fans and players and was a surprise he lasted so long.
They got shut of him before Jan 1 when the transfer window opens as god knows what crap he would have signed

I was referring to Swansea being in Wales.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam