Quick chat with Claudio Reyna

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
Hey guys, no post or links here just keeping it pretty straightforward. Got a chance to talk to Reyna about a few things tonight here's a transcript:

On making the playoffs:

It was our first goal we achieved, to make the playoffs. So it was good to do that even with three games left in the season. So after that we were very focused and try to finish as high as possible. It's a big credit to the players and coaching staff and the rest the support staff to put together such a good season. Now we're focused on the playoffs and it's slightly different of course. The intensity goes up a little bit, everybody knows what's at stake. You gotta win and get through to the next round but not too much changes in terms of preparation and focusing on the day, and the training, and the next game so I see a team that is very focused together, knows what they need to do. There's good competition for places which is always good and that's probably Patrick's only challenge, to pick his 11 for the games. But it's a good problem to have, so it's been great really good, exciting, it was a great way to end the season to get a win and finish in second place.

On winning the cup before RBNY:

To be honest we've never from day one thought about what anybody else does whether it's the Red Bulls or any other team in MLS. We know what we believe in, in terms of our club culture in building our squad in New York City, so our focus is only on ourselves we don't get sucked in to any other things. I think everybody loves some drama or a rivalry, but for us we don't worry about that. I think if you ask our players, it's "we play them three times a year" and that's it. The rest the time you're focused on all the other opponents you have to respect everybody else the same so no we really don't. We don't consume ourselves with anybody.

On putting this team together:

I think we have a very good squad. You're always wondering how you can get better and to be honest I think every technical director, sporting directors, always are looking to see how they can improve their team. Even the teams that win the cup or go to the finals, you're always looking to see how you can improve it, so you do all the work you can I think having a way of playing helps because then you can try and fit players into a system so that helps us and I think always with players you have some very good players and sometimes it may may not work for whatever reason.

You can see in all the teams that do really well also sometimes 14, 15, players are used and that doesn't mean the ones that aren't playing as much are not good players either. I think we've been really pleased with our squad. I think last year we put a competitive team together for our expansion year and this year we were of course able to improve a little bit more because it was our second year. And of course you'll see the team come to life when you see the team in person you can tell more than when it was only on paper last year. But I think it's all credit to the coaches the players we have of course we have the players with a lot of experience, we have pretty young talent so it's a pretty good mix but all the time you're looking to improve and nobody has a magic formula.

Some technical directors think they have a magic formula but it doesn't exist in soccer. You need hard work, you need to believe in the team you build, the coaches need to improve players, the players have to have the right attitude, so it's never me if the team loses and it's never me if the team wins it's a collective effort. So of course attracting and bringing good players who want to be here is the most important thing.

From day one every player who's been at the club is giving 100%, is committed to the club, for me when you recruiting players and coach, that's something you want to see everyone at the club committed from day one and that's when they can be proud.

On Villa:

We'll sit down at the end of the year. We've not discussed anything. He's here until next year so with all the players it's at the end of the year. Now the focus is playing not on anyone's personal situation, the players know that we're only focused on the games now.

Our plan is to keep our young talent in New York for a long time. I'm sure if you ask them they're happy. They're developing at a great club that cares about them. They're competing with the best teams in the league.

That's about it. He went on about how great the DPs are and trying to keep young players but how you don't know what will happen with the Expanison Drafts. He said they'll try and get a USL affiliate next year which they'll announce around December. They're in talks with a few teams right now over it, they also eventually would like a NYCFC B like many other MLS teams have but stressed that it's not a high priority right now.

Last edited:
Hey guys, no post or links here just keeping it pretty straightforward. Got a chance to talk to Reyna about a few things tonight here's a transcript:

On making the playoffs:

It was our first goal we achieved, to make the playoffs. So it was good to do that even with three games left in the season. So after that we were very focused and try to finish as high as possible. It's a big credit to the players and coaching staff and the rest the support staff to put together such a good season. Now we're focused on the playoffs and it's slightly different of course. The intensity goes up a little bit, everybody knows what's at stake. You gotta win and get through to the next round but not too much changes in terms of preparation and focusing on the day, and the training, and the next game so I see a team that is very focused together, knows what they need to do. There's good competition for places which is always good and that's probably Patrick's only challenge, to pick his 11 for the games. But it's a good problem to have, so it's been great really good, exciting, it was a great way to end the season to get a win and finish in second place.

On winning the cup before RBNJ:

To be honest we've never from day one thought about what anybody else does whether it's the Red Bulls or any other team in MLS. We know what we believe in, in terms of our club culture in building our squad in New York City, so our focus is only on ourselves we don't get sucked in to any other things. I think everybody loves some drama or a rivalry, but for us we don't worry about that. I think if you ask our players, it's "we play them three times a year" and that's it. The rest the time you're focused on all the other opponents you have to respect everybody else the same so no we really don't. We don't consume ourselves with anybody.

I think we have a very good squad. You're always wondering how you can get better and to be honest I think every technical director, sporting directors, always are looking to see how they can improve their team. Even the teams that win the cup or go to the finals, you're always looking to see how you can improve it, so you do all the work you can I think having a way of playing helps because then you can try and fit players into a system so that helps us and I think always with players you have some very good players and sometimes it may may not work for whatever reason.

You can see in all the teams that do really well also sometimes 14, 15, players are used and that doesn't mean the ones that aren't playing as much are not good players either. I think we've been really pleased with our squad. I think last year we put a competitive team together for our expansion year and this year we were of course able to improve a little bit more because it was our second year. And of course you'll see the team come to life when you see the team in person you can tell more than when it was only on paper last year. But I think it's all credit to the coaches the players we have of course we have the players with a lot of experience, we have pretty young talent so it's a pretty good mix but all the time you're looking to improve and nobody has a magic formula.

Some technical directors think they have a magic formula but it doesn't exist in soccer. You need hard work, you need to believe in the team you build, the coaches need to improve players, the players have to have the right attitude, so it's never me if the team loses and it's never me if the team wins it's a collective effort. So of course attracting and bringing good players who want to be here is the most important thing.

From day one every player who's been at the club is giving 100%, is committed to the club, for me when you recruiting players and coach, that's something you want to see everyone at the club committed from day one and that's when they can be proud.

On Villa:

We'll sit down at the end of the year. We've not discussed anything. He's here until next year so with all the players it's at the end of the year. Now the focus is playing not on anyone's personal situation, the players know that we're only focused on the games now.

Our plan is to keep our young talent in New York for a long time. I'm sure if you ask them they're happy. They're developing at a great club that cares about them. They're competing with the best teams in the league.

That's about it. He went on about how great the DPs are and trying to keep young players but how you don't know what will happen with the Expanison Drafts. He said they'll try and get a USL affiliate next year which they'll announce around December. They're in talks with a few teams right now over it, they also eventually would like a NYCFC B like many other MLS teams have but stressed that it's not a high priority right now.
Jack's mom seemed to echo that the kids are happy. Frankly, we're not a bad place for development right now. Lots of pressure and opportunity.

Jack's mom seemed to echo that the kids are happy. Frankly, we're not a bad place for development right now. Lots of pressure and opportunity.
Yeah, McNamara and Hernandez were taking questions from the fans before signing autographs and they echoed it themselves. TMac talked about being able to go to Manchester in pre-season as something he probably wouldn't have with other teams.

Yeah, McNamara and Hernandez were taking questions from the fans before signing autographs and they echoed it themselves. TMac talked about being able to go to Manchester in pre-season as something he probably wouldn't have with other teams.
TMac ain't exactly no kid. But glad his middle aged physique is holding up. Gives me hope yet.

TMac ain't exactly no kid. But glad his middle aged physique is holding up. Gives me hope yet.
LOL. "Middle aged." He's 25; one of my *kids* is older than him and the other's just a couple years younger.

Reactions: Kjbert

On making the playoffs:

On Villa:

Thanks for that. Seems like he's generally got his head on straight.

I'm always going to be on the fence about treating NJRB like they're just another team vs. being completely up for it. I'm naturally inclined to the former (worry about what you can do, don't get distracted by the other team, etc.) but can't argue that the latter isn't working for them.

I wished you asked about CCL. We have a really good chance of qualifying now, do they have a plan in place if we do? Also, from a roster perspective; it's a big challenge to worry about the depth needed to compete in not only the regular season, but in 2 separate cup tournaments. I don't think this team, as it's construed this year, has that depth. Look at who we fielded for the USOC! Does he have a plan?

I wished you asked about CCL. We have a really good chance of qualifying now, do they have a plan in place if we do? Also, from a roster perspective; it's a big challenge to worry about the depth needed to compete in not only the regular season, but in 2 separate cup tournaments. I don't think this team, as it's construed this year, has that depth. Look at who we fielded for the USOC! Does he have a plan?
I had about 15 more questions but that's all the time we had. Though I'm sure his answer would have been along the lines of "that's something we'll address if and when we get there, right now we're focused on this season"

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

On making the playoffs:

On Villa:

On making the playoffs:

On Villa:

cool round up....i wonder what path they will go in USL....lots of teams already are locked up with affiliate agreements or want to be independent.

also wonder what academy plans exist....how many age groups do they plan to have eventually?

cool round up....i wonder what path they will go in USL....lots of teams already are locked up with affiliate agreements or want to be independent.

also wonder what academy plans exist....how many age groups do they plan to have eventually?
They're building the academy from the ground up.

Right now there are two teams U-16 and U 13/14 and next year they will add a third.

I assume they'd want one for each age group. But I don't think a USL B team will be a thing until that first class is old enough so 4 more years probably.

Dear Mr Reyna 3 Things !! Number 1 . Give our Batman David whatever he wants !! His legs are strong and his Heart is unquestionable ! He may have not been born here but He's 100% NY!! He has his personal life in check with his Eye on the Ball unlike that other bearded DP I save for #3. Number 2 . Give Tommy Mac whatever the Hell that sweet Bull Dog wants !! He is the present and most important The Future of NYCFC!! No other player deserves the captains arm band than him when Batman leaves!! Tommy's born NY and is 100% ! A good man with his head on straight ! He's The American Hope for Soccer ! Americans love Americans that's how it is here ! Look to Tommy Mr Reyna put your focus on what you have now to fill those seats and keep this team strong!! Number 3. Mr Reyna! Mr Reyna oh Mr Reyna!! The only thing you can do at this point is insist that Mr Pirlo's Mother Lydia come over and Live With Him !!! Pay the woman for Fk's sake for doing so !! Mr Pirlo needs to be reminded his myth at Milan was made not by skill and magic but by Discipline! Hard Discipline that he must have !! Mr Pirlo you Choose to come here and play !! But I see you play alright ?? Now you have people at home talking smack about your skills going down the toilet!! Not by The MLS or NYCFC !! Mr Pirlo since you have a problem balancing your personal activities to what you should be doing on the pitch Mother needs to give you that look the next time you and the girlfriend go out to where ever !! Mr Pirlo needs to be sent to the principles office on principles !! Tell Him contracts can be broken and his kids are being made fun of at school ! He can either Play or Play? But this experiment's of his is not working in the right way !! Thank You Mr Reyna for your time . Thank you NYCFC forum for the opportunity for letting me say this ! I hope it’s seen and taken seriously ! Sorry for any bad grammar ! Thanks Folks!! Team Andrea’s Mother !!

Last edited:
To be honest we've never from day one thought about what anybody else does whether it's the Red Bulls or any other team in MLS. We know what we believe in, in terms of our club culture in building our squad in New York City, so our focus is only on ourselves we don't get sucked in to any other things.

giphy.gif

They had spoken to RBNJ about it. Contingency plans with St Johns and Fordham in that order.

Reactions: adam
Regarding roster construction keep in mind that we would have 2 transfer windows before we played our first CCL match. Plenty of time to bolster the team.

Dear Mr Reyna 3 Things !! Number 1 . Give our Batman David whatever he wants !! His legs are strong and his Heart is unquestionable ! He may have not been born here but He's 100% NY!! He has his personal life in check with his Eye on the Ball unlike that other bearded DP I save for #3. Number 2 . Give Tommy Mac whatever the Hell that sweet Bull Dog wants !! He is the present and most important The Future of NYCFC!! No other player deserves the captains arm band than him when Batman leaves!! Tommy's born NY and is 100% ! A good man with his head on straight ! He's The American Hope for Soccer ! Americans love Americans that's how it is here ! Look to Tommy Mr Reyna put your focus on what you have now to fill those seats and keep this team strong!! Number 3. Mr Reyna! Mr Reyna oh Mr Reyna!! The only thing you can do at this point is insist that Mr Pirlo's Mother Lydia come over and Live With Him !!! Pay the woman for Fk's sake for doing so !! Mr Pirlo needs to be reminded his myth at Milan was made not by skill and magic but by Discipline! Hard Discipline that he must have !! Mr Pirlo you Choose to come here and play !! But I see you play alright ?? Now you have people at home talking smack about your skills going down the toilet!! Not by The MLS or NYCFC !! Mr Pirlo since you have a problem balancing your personal activities to what you should be doing on the pitch Mother needs to give you that look the next time you and the girlfriend go out to where ever !! Mr Pirlo needs to be sent to the principles office on principles !! Tell Him contracts can be broken and his kids are being made fun of at school ! He can either Play or Play? But this experiment's of his is not working in the right way !! Thank You Mr Reyna for your time . Thank you NYCFC forum for the opportunity for letting me say this ! I hope it’s seen and taken seriously ! Sorry for any bad grammar ! Thanks Folks!! Team Andrea’s Mother !!
Is there any evidence to substantiate the rumors that Pirlo has an off the pitch discipline problem?