RSL Postmatch

Apparently they water the shit out of the field that's why guys are slipping all over the place.

So fat frank came over to section 103 after the game to give Chelsea fans a football. adam and I yelled at him that we don't hate him cause he was injured, we had him cause he stayed at Manchester. Well he said "fuck off" to us.

Those Chelsea fans were women who gave Frank a letter after he gave them a football. They likely contain nude photos. Frank gave another football to a Chelsea fan waving his jersey on the first baseline.

Those Chelsea fans were women who gave Frank a letter after he gave them a football. They likely contain nude photos. Frank gave another football to a Chelsea fan waving his jersey on the first baseline.
Yea. They gave him an envelop. I'm glad he is such a good sport to Chelsea fans...

There better be some mutual terminations of contracts this summer. We need defensive reinforcements and a new goalkeeper. We also need a 3rd DP that is of world class caliber.... Currently we don't have that - at best, maybe the fat-man pub league DP.

Jack Harrison is also hands down our best winger - most dynamic player out there. Also disagree with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan - he's definitely as skilled as Pulisic. We got a steal trading for him!!!

BAJ is an older, less skilled, but more physical Pulisic. They play similarly. Truly

adam and I were saying the same thing at the game. "Poor mans Pulisic" or "MLS's Pulisic."

Aside from Villa, Jack is the only other player that plays with a belief that he can take someone one-on-one and win. He dribbled at four guys on his goal, and created other shots for himself. Super refreshing.

He looks to be a very good player. And he was still busting his ass when he was taken off. Don't understand the subs

Smells of a pre-game decision to only play him 60' or so. Ease him into a full 90'.

There is no reason not to find a place for Poku. It's not like our other players are motherfucking lock down defenders. At least he is dangerous.

He played on the wing today, and his physicality was completely neutralized. I'm 100% convinced he's a CF at this point. A front line of Villa - Poku - Harrison would be amazing.

It's not easy being a NYCFC fan.

We cheered the team from start to finish and it seemed like a much better performance and atmostphere, but damn, three soft goals really killed us. I still can't really figure out how we collapsed so badly.

Jack Harrison was great - lots of skill and the confidence to try a trick or two - and you should because sometimes if they don't come off, you can still get a ricochet and the ball lands in the right place for you.

Pirlo was hit and miss, Khiry Shelton is basically a waste of space and I thought Lampard was garbage. This is despite him getting a (sarcastic?) chant of "Super Frank".

If it is true that he's told a fan to fuck off, after this performance and his season so far, we should just cut our losses with him and let him go be a pundit on Match of the Day or something.

Still, overall not a bad performance and I think we'll do better at the next game. (also, Nurse, up my medication.)

Harrison sub had to be fitness related. I assume he was always coming off after 60-70. No matter what you think about PV, I cannot imagine he thought we would be better tonight by making that sub. Great full debut though. At least he will be something fun to watch.

The other great thing from tonight was RJ crossing multiple times with the outside of his right foot. No left foot? No problem.

Mix was good, but watching him continue to squander opportunities in the box is painful. That great goal in the opener was, sadly, a false dawn.

Iraola, good on the ball but a poor clearing header that led to the Burrito goal. I would still go back to Bravo for sure when he is back but Iraola there does lead to some very pretty play.

Goals against generally felt very reminiscent of last season.

Oh, and even though I've been championing the notion that Frank can help us on the field even if the overall situation is a disaster, he was awful today for sure.

I think I will be well served by a two week break!

Yes. Exactly how it happened. Backstory tho, I didn't yell at him sarcastically after the RB match "how's your calf". But then after hearing his interview that he thought we hated him bc he was injured, I felt compelled to clarify the situation. So I yelled to him "Frank it's not bc you're injured, it's bc you played for man city". And that's when we got the "fuck off" and look of death. S sbrylski can also confirm.

I can confirm that Lampard muttered to us something like that, from lipreading. He was not happy.

However, in Lampard's defense, I'm sure he heard something more like "Hey Lampard, Mnmnfds jkls not jkld injured, jklfd mklivc kjlfd!" He had walked over to the girls next to us who had a Chelsea sign, and adam and D Dnigly13 started "expressing their opinions" lol. Also, some other people were shouting stuff, so he may have mistakenly attributed some harsher things to us.

For the record, I stood and clapped when Lampard came on, but I was doing it for Harrison who looked tremendous.

So on closer examination, the Harrison sub made sense. He is coming off an injury and was probably restricted from playing the 90. Overplaying somebody coming off an injury is very risky, as it's a great way to re-injure or suffer an entirely new injury. Fully healthy, Jack probably would not have come off.

The good thing from this match is that we destroyed them in the first 45, if Villa was Villa we could have put at least a couple away. This was the first time all year in which it looked like we were clearly the better team, even when we won it still felt as though it was undeserved.

I'm not sure if Lampard can handle this situation. We may never see much from him, he might already be jaded and just waiting for the season to end. A true professional would be driven to earn the fans respect and would not want to go out on this note. Let's see which route he goes from here, I'm not too optimistic though.

Two things about the field. First, is it just me, or has the field been playing significantly worse this year, especially the last couple matches. I know it wasn't great last year, but it seems like I'm noticing constant issues this season. Second, the RSL broadcast mentioned the field being 68x106 or something like that. Is that official and is that the first time we heard an actual number below 70 yards? I know people have speculated about it being smaller than advertised, but I never knew how much.
The field is in piss-poor shape. The grounds crew was out at halftime working feverishly to pound divots back in and spread seeds. I've never noticed it before - usually they water the field.

One more observation: Villa tends to play a bit selfishly, right? He'll often try to beat two guys on the dribble and create his own shot, rather than set up a teammate. Not criticizing him, that's what we signed him to do.

But I noticed that twice in the early second half, Villa actually turned with the ball on the top of the 18 and looked for Harrison on his right, instead of ripping a shot into two defenders. One of those times he chipped the defense and almost got Harrison a clean look on goal. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think Villa may have found someone he trusts up front with him. I'm pretty excited about that.

One more observation: Villa tends to play a bit selfishly, right? He'll often try to beat two guys on the dribble and create his own shot, rather than set up a teammate. Not criticizing him, that's what we signed him to do.

But I noticed that twice in the early second half, Villa actually turned with the ball on the top of the 18 and looked for Harrison on his right, instead of ripping a shot into two defenders. One of those times he chipped the defense and almost got Harrison a clean look on goal. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think Villa may have found someone he trusts up front with him. I'm pretty excited about that.
I'm pretty excited to drink what you're having if anything about Villa excited you tonight.

Kidding. Maybe. A little. Okay, not really kidding, but not mad. #villahattrick4life

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Last game (vs. Orland0): There's a stoppage of play (fight/tussle in the corner) in added time and the referee continues play after the minimum added time.

This game (vs. RSL): There's a stoppage of play (RSL substitution, which took 45 seconds, I was looking at my watch the entire time) in added time and Ted Unkel ends the game right at the minimum added time.

This is why I hate Pro Referees.

Last edited:
There better be some mutual terminations of contracts this summer. We need defensive reinforcements and a new goalkeeper. We also need a 3rd DP that is of world class caliber.... Currently we don't have that - at best, maybe the fat-man pub league DP.

Jack Harrison is also hands down our best winger - most dynamic player out there. Also disagree with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan - he's definitely as skilled as Pulisic. We got a steal trading for him!!!
He's skilled. Not as skilled as pulisic. More physical.

Kids that start at 17 for Dortmund or get 60 for NYC at 21 are on different planes. That said, get Jack his US citizenship stat.

Harrison sub had to be fitness related. I assume he was always coming off after 60-70. No matter what you think about PV, I cannot imagine he thought we would be better tonight by making that sub. Great full debut though. At least he will be something fun to watch.

The other great thing from tonight was RJ crossing multiple times with the outside of his right foot. No left foot? No problem.

Mix was good, but watching him continue to squander opportunities in the box is painful. That great goal in the opener was, sadly, a false dawn.

Iraola, good on the ball but a poor clearing header that led to the Burrito goal. I would still go back to Bravo for sure when he is back but Iraola there does lead to some very pretty play.

Goals against generally felt very reminiscent of last season.

Oh, and even though I've been championing the notion that Frank can help us on the field even if the overall situation is a disaster, he was awful today for sure.

I think I will be well served by a two week break!
I prefer Iraola over Bravo simply because we move the ball and he's smarter, imo. I would make Bravo a CB.

There was actually a play between them that nearly connected to Harrison on the 6rd box - about a 5' pass through a few defenders - and Harrison was just inches away from touching it past Rimando. Would have been his second goal and a thing of beauty- he and villa will definitely link up.

This was the most angry I've been after a game ever. I don't care if Poku is smoking after sleeping with the coach's wife at practice - how is he not starting when he continues to show the ability to do things that no one else brings? How does Saunders give up 12 goals in 3 games and is still starting?

We aren't making the playoffs yet again, and firing Kreis is looking really dumb in hindsight. At least he played Poku some.

Reactions: canchon
Last week: There's a stoppage of play (fight/tussle in the corner) in added time and the referee continues play after the minimum added time.

This week: There's a stoppage of play (RSL substitution) in added time and Ted Unkel ends the game right at the minimum added time.

This is why I hate Pro Referees.
I bitched about that too.

I feel like Sting. It is going to feel really really good 14 years from now when NYCFC makes the playoffs.

Reactions: Kjbert