Seriously Stopped Supporting?

What's so funny is that the team isn't as bad as their record suggests. I've said it and I'll keep saying it, the players are starting to understand each other better on the field. The defense is bad but if they keep up with the possession style it won't matter as much. Once we start finishing our chances everything will take care of itself.

I agree, we haven't been great but each game has at least been competitive and we could have easily won most if the team was a bit better in the final third, get that part sorted, add a third DP in the summer and we might just have a shot at getting a playoff spot even after a not so great start.

Anyone who totally gives up and stops supporting the team at this point probably wasn't a real fan anyway.

I don't worry about people like that on an individual level, but I do worry about the club failing to catch on and the effect it might have on CFG's investment. People will switch off after enough poor performances, and every franchise needs casual fans to succeed, whether we like it or not.

I don't worry about people like that on an individual level, but I do worry about the club failing to catch on and the effect it might have on CFG's investment. People will switch off after enough poor performances, and every franchise needs casual fans to succeed, whether we like it or not.
This is what worries me honestly. I hope we succeed on a grand level so we can keep at least casual fans.

Reactions: TommyM
I've been waiting for a team in New York since the 50's. nevermind the fact im nowhere near that age.

I've seen people trying to sell their season tickets already, because we lost 4/8 games.... 8 games. not 48, or 480... 8 games. I'm not happy with the results, 1 win, 3 ties 4 losses. But there has to be some kind of understanding between out situation, and the amount of time actually put into this team. Nor do I agree with some calls made by Kreis, but I dont want his head for it...yet. I've seen people on FB saying fire Kreis, bring in Lampard... as if thats going to make a difference.
Look at the teams I support- Inter, who has gone through 8 coaches in about 5 seasons, and look what it's gotten them. And my perfect example, Palermo, who Zamparini (president of the club) will fire you if you lose your first games (Materazzi). So believe me when I say, let it play out, give the team time, then you will see what we can develop into.

If youre quitting 8 games into the season, don't call yourself a fan of any team you pretend to support. Or, go home, turn on SportsCenter and root for all the teams that win everyday, that way you can pretend to be the ultimate sports fan.

Give your fuckin heads a wobble anyone thinking of quitting. go and shut the door on the way out !!
You are no loss to the team,when things go wrong you stand as one .
How the hell would you have gone on supporting man city 35 years yes years of being shit not 3.5months
Man up and grow a pair ffs

Our attendances actually increased when we dropped into the 3rd tier didn't they, kind of roll your sleeves up attitude is needed!

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
As alot of people have said, you support a team regardless. As a Jet fan, and a Met fan, I can assure you the good years are to be enjoyed and remembered; during other years there is always the promise of possibilities. Seeing the team Play against Dempsey and Seattle, Bradley and Toronto, and playing the red bulls; that's what this season is about.

People are jumping ship after 4 losses? HA in 1992, the San Jose Sharks lost 71 games while playing at an arena called the Cow Palace. Think about that for a second. Losing 71 games out of 84. Despite setting the record for losses in the NHL (maybe sports in general?) we shattered merchandise sales that year. Sounds a little similar to NYCF ;)

I think the people who quit were those only on board because others around them were excited about our new team, and were never into football to begin with. I have one of those in my circle, and he hasn't "quit" yet, but he is putting all his May tickets up for sale. Those kinds of fans are on every team.

I was in Florida for the Timbers game and watched with my dad who laughed at them the whole game. When the game was over, he looks at me and says "I'm sorry, your team isn't ready yet. But if all their fans are like you, they're set".

The people jumping ship already are just glory hunters who were never fully invested anyway. I don't mind a little thinning of the herd.

Reactions: einwindir
The drama on the Facebook group about people giving up on the team is hilarious.

I really need to go get my mix Jersey.

Reactions: Amon
The people jumping ship already are just glory hunters who were never fully invested anyway. I don't mind a little thinning of the herd.
You're probably right. But I don't understand that mentality. If you don't make the emotional investment before a club is successful, or at least before the positive occurs, how does anyone get any joy out of that?

To me, being a supporter is about a shared experience - the journey, as it were. Jumping onboard because some team is hot turns what is supposed to be an emotional, soul-wrenching experience into one more akin to buying a new tie. Yeah, you feel good when you wear it, but it's just a tie. You're not connected in anyway.

No one is going to respect anyone any more because they claim a successful team. And what joy do you really get if you haven't been invested? I would get none.

I know I'm off-topic a bit, but just wanted to throw that out there.

TL;DR: I don't understand glory hunting via your fandom.

The drama on the Facebook group about people giving up on the team is hilarious.

I really need to go get my mix Jersey.
Idk if you live in the NYC area but I believe you can buy a blank jersey and they'll add the name and number at the Adidas store.

Are you kidding me?? Give up?? I am a 49 year old life long die hard Red Sox fan..... Gutrenchingly poor seasons? Been there done that... Rip your heart out seasons? Been there done that too............ Enjoyed the glory of 3 championships the last 11 years??? Abso-freakin-lutely!!!!!!!!! I am all in with NYCFC... Our time will come!!!!
Love this

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
Someone here, before the start of the season, recommended that NYCFC adopt "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as the club's song... never took off. But the lyrics seems fitting. Hope yah stay with us for the future!

uakmWqI.jpg

Just another reason I do not care about FB......

Yup. That's why I "Unliked" that page months before the season even started.

You're probably right. But I don't understand that mentality. If you don't make the emotional investment before a club is successful, or at least before the positive occurs, how does anyone get any joy out of that?

Can't give you an answer for that one my man, but it probably has something to do along the lines of the thought process for that late 20's early 30's guy who has been a "Lifetime fan of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Fill in the name of your favorite super club".

I don't think the majority of people are jumping ship. I see this on hfboards for rangers and islanders. Leading up to the season and early season you have tons of activity. Once the season gets underway it will start to slow down and if things aren't going well it will be worse. Once Frank comes people will be active again and especially closer to playoff time when we are in the Mix(no pun intended) there will be more activity.

People have lives and will avert attention elsewhere at times. We have two teams in the mix for the Stanley Cup right now, baseball is starting up, and nets are in the playoffs(doubt many care). We are also New Yorkers all complaints will be loud and issues magnified. I have friends who are season ticket holders who talk about how terrible we are it's just a New York thing to do. If you aren't the best team out there then you are horrible.

I am also in the boat that believes in Nemec. When we figure things out he will start to get his head on the ball and start scoring goals.