Soriano At Blazercon; Nycfc: A Year In Review

We've also seen some pretty good soccer during the playoffs. I would be happy if there was more of that around the league as the youth academies (hopefully) take off

I was at this talk and came away horribly disappointed. It's clear that Soriano barely respects the American player as a soccer player. The dismissive response to the "$100K player" question showed exactly the roster construction issues that have been beaten to death here - they legitimately think that they can win with three Euro studs and nothing else.

The man preached patience and acknowledged that the playoffs weren't a good target, but then dismissed what he saw last year as reprehensible. Unless there was something absurd going on behind the scenes, there's a huge intellectual disconnect there.

And the comments on coaching in the US -- while I agree that youth coaching needs to improve here to a degree, dismissing American talent as "courageous but not much else" is both insulting and regressive. It tells me we can't expect a damn thing out of the SuperDraft until they wise up.

Most of the programs that beat our asses last year were built on the talent of the exact players that he dismissed, so I'm not sure he really has much room to be claiming that a 17 year old MCFC loanee has that much talent than the average MLS veteran.

And if anyone believed that Kreis had a guiding hand in roster construction, maybe look at this talk. They're clearly *all in* on the DoF model. Unfortunate that they chose Reyna instead of a guy like Lagerway.

This is my ultimate fear with CFG involved. But on the other hand, unlike many other potential owner ship groups, I think CFG also potentially has the ability to fix this problem, even if the problem is self inflicted.

Reyna <> Laegerway.

DoF?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this whole thread about? I don't understand what blazercon is. I can't be the only one here who is clueless.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this whole thread about? I don't understand what blazercon is. I can't be the only one here who is clueless.
BlazerCon is a con (as in Comicon, for example) run by the Men in Blazers show. They're two Englishmen who live in New York and do a half hour TV show on NBCSN on Monday night at (usually) 11pm after EPL weekends (so not on today). They're usually pretty hilarious. They also do a podcast as well. Worth checking out if you're into English football at all.

Reactions: JayH
BlazerCon is a con (as in Comicon, for example) run by the Men in Blazers show. They're two Englishmen who live in New York and do a half hour TV show on NBCSN on Monday night at (usually) 11pm after EPL weekends (so not on today). They're usually pretty hilarious. They also do a podcast as well. Worth checking out if you're into English football at all.
I've seen some rerun episodes of there show before. Their tiny room for filming bothers me for some reason. I'm sure if I understood their English lingo a bit more I'd find them to be more funny. (English isn't my native tongue so I don't really understand their sense of humor.)

I was at this talk and came away horribly disappointed. It's clear that Soriano barely respects the American player as a soccer player. The dismissive response to the "$100K player" question showed exactly the roster construction issues that have been beaten to death here - they legitimately think that they can win with three Euro studs and nothing else.

The man preached patience and acknowledged that the playoffs weren't a good target, but then dismissed what he saw last year as reprehensible. Unless there was something absurd going on behind the scenes, there's a huge intellectual disconnect there.

And the comments on coaching in the US -- while I agree that youth coaching needs to improve here to a degree, dismissing American talent as "courageous but not much else" is both insulting and regressive. It tells me we can't expect a damn thing out of the SuperDraft until they wise up.

Most of the programs that beat our asses last year were built on the talent of the exact players that he dismissed, so I'm not sure he really has much room to be claiming that a 17 year old MCFC loanee has that much talent than the average MLS veteran.

And if anyone believed that Kreis had a guiding hand in roster construction, maybe look at this talk. They're clearly *all in* on the DoF model. Unfortunate that they chose Reyna instead of a guy like Lagerway.

Hmm, you were at the talk, so I imagine there must've been a discrepancy between the Twitter transcription and what you heard, because it didn't seem he was being overly disrespectful to US players (coaching, yes). Also not sure I understand the "intellectual disconnect" you pointed out. I think people are still getting hung up on the idea that Kreis was fired on results alone. On the surface, I see no incompatibility between statements like "we must be patient, playoffs were a hard target" and "we need to play better soccer". Maybe you can illustrate that for me furthermore, though.

Reactions: JayH
That ending and your comment raises a question I have contemplated about the growth of MLS.

I think the clear path to further strengthen the league in the US has been/is to appeal to roots-level fans. That change by most clubs has proved a catalyst to get from sideshow to actual professional league status domestically. But to take the next step to develop tv revenues, what is the optimal way forward? Do you go after US sports tv audiences who are fringe or Euro soccer fans or do you go after building the global audience? If the former, how do you get there? If the latter, do you forfeit the former and forego traditional afternoon and evening start times for earlier starts that suit Euro time zones better?

Why do I posit these as in opposition to one another? Well, moving to time slots more friendly to Euro audiences will make league games face more challenges to grow the domestic audience. Nonetheless, I think MLS now has a core fan base that is loyal and committed. I'd actually guess that MLS has a better pro rata adherence rate than any other US league. I think you rely on that core loyalty to maintain the status quo domestically and focus on putting your best games in European audience friendly time slots. Hire the best local PR guys you can get in those markets and get the league a bigger presence in the biggest respective sports news outlets. Get good stories out, fund some "Hard Knocks" type productions.

You have to use the assets you have available. The quality isn't there, but the drama and human interest side is. I think stories of underdog, hardworking players making salaries that don't offend the everyman sensibilities could be a compelling penetration strategy for foreign markets even if the quality is a bit lagging for now.

Once that coverage exists overseas, I think it would pull in the fringe US audience, especially the eurosnob element. It's basically a reversing of the marketing of the world cup to a US audience. Sell the spectacle and the drama and the people to draw in an audience that has long been a bit disinterested.

Just some suboptimal ramblings.
I just can't see this working. Let's say you live somewhere in Europe and you are a soccer fan. (A) You are a fan of a big club that is close to home and playing top level talent. (B) You are a fan of a little club - bottom table, 2nd or 3rd division. You already have your Cinderella. (C) You are both of the above.

In any of these situations, why on Earth would you watch an American team?

I'm a soccer fan and I'm obsessed with NYCFC, but only because I'm a New Yorker. I watch European teams because I want to see the game played at a higher talent level. If the Australian league was on TV, I wouldn't watch. I just can't get my brain to follow any path by which a European fan (other than the MCFC fans who follow NYCFC because they feel connected) spends their soccer watching time on MLS when there is generally an abundance at any given time of higher quality, more personally connected soccer for them to watch.

Reactions: Majik and SoupInNYC
This is why I've been relatively quiet so far on Mr. Soriano's talk. I keep thinking I'm missing something. I need to read the referenced Times article.

UPDATE:
read the Times article.
Didn't find anything particularly ominous in it.
Re read the comments at the end regarding MLS. Not very rosy. Well if your a fan of MLS that is. But it's not anything a speaker said its the author of the article.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Sounds like it would have been pretty fun to go to.
It was an absolutely fantastic time. The talk from the Southampton chair was *delightful*.
Hmm, you were at the talk, so I imagine there must've been a discrepancy between the Twitter transcription and what you heard, because it didn't seem he was being overly disrespectful to US players (coaching, yes). Also not sure I understand the "intellectual disconnect" you pointed out. I think people are still getting hung up on the idea that Kreis was fired on results alone. On the surface, I see no incompatibility between statements like "we must be patient, playoffs were a hard target" and "we need to play better soccer". Maybe you can illustrate that for me furthermore, though.
You're honestly only getting half the story reading the twitter comments. He was overwhelmingly negative about the US player pool, and repeatedly talked about bringing in foreign talent as this team's chance to turn the corner. The tone was very harsh -- Soriano clearly sees this league as two steps below Belgium right now.

And there were absolutely intellectual disconnects. Look at what he talked about with MLS' technical level and physicality. He said that he doesn't see this as a league that's less technical than others abroad. But it's made up of mostly players that learned soccer from the American system. So if it's not technically deficient, then why the emphasis on importing talent from Argentina, a country known for building creative, technical talent? If America wasn't that far behind technically, you'd think he'd have mentioned the college soccer system, the American lower leagues, or scouting of MLS once. Not at all.

Yes, there are improvements to be made to the US coaching pyramid. There is serious work being done there by US soccer right now. But if you think you can win MLS just by importing talent, you don't have a prayer of winning in this league. The league's foundation is built on limiting how much expensive talent you can import. Unless they send the salary cap up tenfold and raise the international limit by 5, cheap American talent, particularly on defense, is what wins you this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusPax
Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
Ferran Soriano on Patrick Vieira at NYCFC: "We have brought maybe our best coach here."

I would agree with this and i'm pretty sure Paddy will bring someone along with him that's not CFG connected and someone who has been there and done that on the world stage like himself.

I honestly think you guys are either worrying too much and you need to trust the way the things are going because it's going to be a bright future because Shiekh Mansour and everyone downwards who he employs and trusts aren't mugs and know exactly what they're doing and you need to give them a chance.
I think that I've given them quite a few chances to make good. At this point, I'm just about out. I want to see winning soccer, but there are some things I'm seeing here that winning can't cure.

I just can't see this working. Let's say you live somewhere in Europe and you are a soccer fan. (A) You are a fan of a big club that is close to home and playing top level talent. (B) You are a fan of a little club - bottom table, 2nd or 3rd division. You already have your Cinderella. (C) You are both of the above.

In any of these situations, why on Earth would you watch an American team?

I'm a soccer fan and I'm obsessed with NYCFC, but only because I'm a New Yorker. I watch European teams because I want to see the game played at a higher talent level. If the Australian league was on TV, I wouldn't watch. I just can't get my brain to follow any path by which a European fan (other than the MCFC fans who follow NYCFC because they feel connected) spends their soccer watching time on MLS when there is generally an abundance at any given time of higher quality, more personally connected soccer for them to watch.

because one thing is on at noon or 3 or 5 and ours is on late at night?

I frequently watch the A-league because I'm an early riser and I find it at 4-6 am. I'm not obsessed with any team in particular but the more soccer the merrier to me

Seeing the article was in the New York Times it probably killed the author even to mention MLS.

Giving Major League Soccer coverage in the Times takes away from all the other important stories. You know.......like the daily Sepp Blatter articles (plural); WC qualifiers from Oceania; football news from Africa; daily articles on the Barclays League, La Liga, Bundesliga and other news for the Eurosnob.......

It was an absolutely fantastic time. The talk from the Southampton chair was *delightful*.

The tone was very harsh -- Soriano clearly sees this league as two steps below Belgium right now.

And there were absolutely intellectual disconnects.

Because Soriano does not want to come out and say that we are technically deficient and that the American system sucks. Soriano especially does not want to say that right now because he is new in the league and would, rightly, be seen as someone from on high coming to criticize without knowing what's been happening.

Our developmental system sucks, but that's ok. Its ok because the soccer development system in the US is improving in leaps and bounds year after year and does not show signs of stopping. Its a three sided problem, at least, but lets do a quick rundown.

1a. Money, we don't spend enough of it on soccer development. Especially when you consider per capita spending and how freaking huge the US is. As of 2014 MLS claimed to spend more than $20mm in youth and academy programming. http://ussoccerplayers.com/2014/10/youth-soccer-development-right-direction.html

1b. Between 2001 and 2011 Germany was spending an average of $68mm on youth development per year. That figure has only gone up with the Bundesliga straight up giving clubs extra money, up to $400,000, depending on the grading their youth academy has. http://www.businessinsider.com/germany-youth-system-2014-7

1c. Using current total population figures for both the US and Germany. In 2014 the entirety of United States soccer spent about six cents per person on soccer development. From 2001 to 2011 German soccer spent on average 84 cents per person.

2. Newness, using the Edison team development life cycle model I would say we are in the Normal section of development, we've made it past the hard part but there is a lot of work yet to go.
http://www.dau.mil/pubscats/pubscats/atl/2008_05_06/edis_mj08.pdf

3. Coverage, its only very recently that substantial areas of the US have received any kind of professional soccer development structure. Someone else on the board mentioned it with a source, but until RSL in 2005 there was no soccer development at all in Utah and large parts of the surrounding states. It was something like 10 million people that had no access at all to soccer development with professional connections.

So yeah, we suck. Honestly, getting to the finals of the world cup is probably a 20 year project at this point. The only thing that alleviates all of the problems that I've outlined is that our population is so freaking large and diverse. We simply have a larger absolute number of the genetic freaks that are required to play sports at the highest levels.