Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I hope they're still negotiating for 153rd and announce it around March because the more we wait the more we lose momentum.

Scouse says he won't go to a game of there isn't a Subway stop nearby, then posts how he wants to build a stadium in a place where you need to take a city bus just to get close.

Have you been on a New York City bus??
Bus access = no access, at least as far as a major necessary demographic is concerned. The 20 to 40 yr old Manhattan demo don't really do buses. And they certainly won't do buses in Queens/outer boroughs. Those routes are like the damn Voynich manuscript to us.

(I think that's part of your point, right?)

Bus access = no access, at least as far as a major necessary demographic is concerned. The 20 to 40 yr old Manhattan demo don't really do buses. And they certainly won't do buses in Queens/outer boroughs. Those routes are like the damn Voynich manuscript to us.

The crazy part is the bus that services that particular area (Q25) runs pretty regularly and it's only a 10 minute ride from the 7 Main St stop. If you were to walk it, it's probably a .25 mile further than walking to RBA from the PATH stop. However, taking a bus to an arena is far from ideal.

THANK YOU! My point exactly. Look at who actually buys tickets to MLS games - it's the 20 y/o to 40 y/o white male Manhattan demo that exists in every city. Just look at the stands of MLS games. It's like a white out.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
The crazy part is the bus that services that particular area (Q25) runs pretty regularly and it's only a 10 minute ride from the 7 Main St stop. If you were to walk it, it's probably a .25 mile further than walking to RBA from the PATH stop. However, taking a bus to an arena is far from ideal.

You nailed it. The distance is actually identical. If people are treking out to Harrison, NJ, then going to College Point isn't a big deal at all. Much easier to get to by car for NYers.

It's going to be the Yankee Stadium site at the 153rd St location. It's all going to come down to how much money the organization wants to kick in to bail out the investors who are losing their shirts on the parking garages.

With all due respects, people are going to be disappointed if they're looking for it to be anywhere else. People aren't going to walk to the stadium, nor are they going to get off the subway just to hop on a city bus no matter how short a ride it is.

Yankee Stadium has the subway, commuter rails and major roads right there on the doorstep. One of the biggest gripes people have about going to Red Bull Arena is the hassle of getting there. It won't be any different on this side of the Hudson River.

This is probably just some random person's mockup, not even sure if they took care to make it to scale, but from a quick google search:

yanks-nycfc2-620x400.jpg

Assuming that's to scale, there should be plenty of room. Even more if they redo that onramp. Are those railroad tracks completely permanent, or could they reroute them a little bit further to the west?

I'd love to see a bigger upper deck on the north side and maybe a single deck on the south side. It wouldn't make a difference to those close to the field, but offering seats with a skyline view of Manhattan would be pretty cool.

Reactions: Paul and Vito
Don't mind it being in BX at all. As long as it's in NYC minus Staten Island, I'm happy.

I took RBA to scale and rotated it around and pasted to the 153rd street location. It looks like it might be a little too big, but I think it's definitely feasible to make a 25-30,000 seat stadium with a smaller footprint than RBA.

8brx15x.jpg

Where would the parking lot fit? Also, this is right on top of the lot where tons of people park during Yankee games. I doubt the Yanks would build over this considering that it's already a nightmare to park there.

Assuming that's to scale, there should be plenty of room. Even more if they redo that onramp. Are those railroad tracks completely permanent, or could they reroute them a little bit further to the west?

I'd love to see a bigger upper deck on the north side and maybe a single deck on the south side. It wouldn't make a difference to those close to the field, but offering seats with a skyline view of Manhattan would be pretty cool.
they would be re-doing the off ramp so i've heard....makes it even easier to get to :)

Where would the parking lot fit? Also, this is right on top of the lot where tons of people park during Yankee games. I doubt the Yanks would build over this considering that it's already a nightmare to park there.
The garages are typically less the 50% full even when the Yankees sell-out. They have more than enough parking in the other lot's and garages to accommodate events at either stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
I park in that garage all the time, and it's always close to full. A few times they even closed it because it was full.

You also have to consider days when the Yanks and NYCFC are playing at the same time. That area will be a nightmare. Unless they figure out a way with MLS to never schedule games on the same day. It's the only way this location would work.

I'm not a NY native, but all the stories I've read about the location of the stadium have said that they want to replace the parking lots because they've been a commercial disaster and they aren't used by far enough to actually make a profit so the company that owns them is tanking hard. I can't compete with people who say they actually park there and see them full, but I've read that story from so many places that should know their stuff (the NY Times for example) that I can only conclude that there's no smoke without fire. Are you sure it's definitely the same parking lot you park in? It sounds like there's a few different ones around that area, and some get used more than others?

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
I park in that garage all the time, and it's always close to full. A few times they even closed it because it was full.

You also have to consider days when the Yanks and NYCFC are playing at the same time. That area will be a nightmare. Unless they figure out a way with MLS to never schedule games on the same day. It's the only way this location would work.

They're going to have to figure out a way with MLS to never schedule games on the same day when they're sharing a stadium. If they can do that for the next 3-4 years, they shouldn't have a problem avoiding double home games if they're in neighboring stadia.

Heck, it should be even easier in the future, because for the next few years, not only will the Yankees and NYC FC have to avoid home games on the same date, they'll probably have to avoid home games in the same week, as it will take a few days to convert the baseball diamond to a soccer pitch.

Isn't Icahn a track and field specific stadium? Would hate a stadium with a track around it. Napoli plays in a stadium like that and it's awful. Fans are miles away from the pitch.

Also, no subway stop on Randall's Island. It's a bitch to get to.
Not only is Napoli far back because of the track then they also shut down the lower levels. So you're only in the up seating areas. Forza curva A and B

They should talk with the old Irish up at Gaelic park. I used to play Irish football up there. Off of Jerome. The game has died out so maybe that would be a good spot. No real parking lots though

That one particular garage in question has been bleeding money for years. That's why the plan is to buy it and raze it to the ground to make room for the stadium.

I wouldn't worry about any type of scheduling conflicts, because I will guarantee you 110% that if and when a SSS stadium is built on that site they will never schedule NYCFC and Yankee games on the same day.