Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Has anyone figured in stadium size vs. attendance? For example, maximum attendance for the Mets is 3,645,000. Yankees is 4,021,002. KC Royals is far less at 3,070,143. Maybe we need to be comparing percentage filled rather than just number of tickets sold.
If there's anyone willing to do that work on what is really an ancillary issue for this forum, well, God Bless You and Keep You. But I'm not sure it is actually a more accurate figure. Some baseball teams, for example, intentionally reduced stadium capacity during the wave of rebuilding that started with Oriole Park. Teams found that when you reduced capacity from 55-60k down to 40-45k, more people bought season tickets and packages. With the larger capacity there was almost no chance of a sellout more than 8-10 days every year, and those wouldn't sell out until very late, so there was never any rush or urgency to buy tickets. With a smaller capacity average attendance actually increased as more people bought packages just to be assured of getting any tickets. I don't think it makes sense to give those teams an extra bonus for reducing their capacity.

Dibs on making the Stadium Discussion 2016 thread.

Let's just rename it. This thread should never die.

ETA: Don't be a thread creation hog.

Unlike our other "2015" threads, this one has no real reason to be year-specific. There's no off-season for stadium development, nor is there any reason to categorise news by calendar year announced. This thread hasn't gotten to a ridiculous length either (yet). Therefore I've removed the year from the title and I'm going to just let this thread continue as it left off.

Unlike our other "2015" threads, this one has no real reason to be year-specific. There's no off-season for stadium development, nor is there any reason to categorise news by calendar year announced. This thread hasn't gotten to a ridiculous length either (yet). Therefore I've removed the year from the title and I'm going to just let this thread continue as it left off.

Thanks. And like the new logo you've made. Manchester at either of the bottom sides would look like poo though since they didn't include football club at the bottom. Maybe they made your logo too so they have to be top dog, always.

Thanks. And like the new logo you've made. Manchester at either of the bottom sides would look like poo though since they didn't include football club at the bottom. Maybe they made your logo too so they have to be top dog, always.

The position of each team was entirely coincidental. I wasn't even really thinking about which segment was going to be in which position when I did it - I knew my method for splitting each individual crest and I just set about it without thinking about which area of the badge was going to be left over. That said, I acknowledge now that it does make it look like it reads "Manchester Football Club". Perhaps I should have done it so that the divides were a further 60 degrees round so no one team got much of their name on the overall badge.

Wait until there's another CFG team (I'm not adding Yokohama as there's little evidence that CFG are actually operating them) and I'll put more thought into the positioning of each logo.

So, the land south of 42nd street and 1st ave has been a hot topic at the UN and they're in a design stage for new building construction. They don't have a set spot to build, but the two spots they're looking is the north campus of UNHQ and the park to the south of UNHQ. I doubt they're going to get permission to build on the park land, and it was a long-shot for a stadium anyways, but it's been discussed for a few years now to build on. Just passing along.

Reactions: DeGrozz and Kjbert
My wife and I passed Pier 40 on Saturday night. It's such a piece of junk. I don't know how it would work logistically to get all those people there but there are worse things they could put there than a beautiful stadium.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
My wife and I passed Pier 40 on Saturday night. It's such a piece of junk. I don't know how it would work logistically to get all those people there but there are worse things they could put there than a beautiful stadium.
The original concepts involved shoring up the existing piers and then extending them farther in to the river to get enough of a footprint to have a stadium on the water and practice fields between the highway & stadium (gotta give back to the community). Most likely the real losers in that equation at the folk that park their cars on the pier - I cannot imagine a scenario where they include a lot as part of the multi-purpose nature of the structure..... then again, maybe they would and generate revenue through that too.

At any rate, if they don't do something soon, the piers are going to deteriorate beyond saving and everybody will have lost out on the opportunity to fix the facilities.

Cherish the days we have this thread. Someday guessing the site of the building will be moot.

As I've said before. I hope they build it in Sunnyside. (hope if I say it enough it can somehow filter up to the braintrust at nycfc to seriously consider.)

Reactions: FootyLovin
Unless I missed it somewhere, I find it somewhat interesting that de Blasio's name is nowhere to be found in the article.

IIRC the mayor and Ratner are thisclose and the Center couldn't be built without de Blasio's help. A lot of quid pro quo dancing took place and the so-called affordable housing (yet to be built) was supposedly a major part of the plan.

Just goes to show you that all these politicians are full of shit and they all have their price.

An article on the Barclays Center and how it sucks for the borough...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/01/12/barclays-center-eminent-domain-fail
That was a really painful article to read.... Everybody in the borough knew it was a land-grab and the promised housing would never materialize (not that anybody wanted the high-density housing) - but it was the principle behind leveling an entire neighborhood with no guarantee (i.e. escrow) to ensure the project finished on time as promised.

Reactions: Narrowback gal
That was a really painful article to read.... Everybody in the borough knew it was a land-grab and the promised housing would never materialize (not that anybody wanted the high-density housing) - but it was the principle behind leveling an entire neighborhood with no guarantee (i.e. escrow) to ensure the project finished on time as promised.

The Nets would have been better moving to the Prudential Center in Newark and the Islanders should have a new stadium on Long Island. The Barclays Center doesn't add much value compared to other uses since MSG is so huge on an entertainment/sports level.

The Nets would have been better moving to the Prudential Center in Newark and the Islanders should have a new stadium on Long Island. The Barclays Center doesn't add much value compared to other uses since MSG is so huge on an entertainment/sports level.
But... but... but... it's a personal passion project for Jay Z... he needed his own personal venue...

"affordable housing" promises are a joke. The new one in Hunter's Point had a scandal recently where one of the 2bedrooms was rented out on airbnb - the rent for that apartment was "affordable" at $2400/month. Makes you wonder exactly who they think that shit is affordable for.

"affordable housing" promises are a joke. The new one in Hunter's Point had a scandal recently where one of the 2bedrooms was rented out on airbnb - the rent for that apartment was "affordable" at $2400/month. Makes you wonder exactly who they think that shit is affordable for.
It goes from district to district. Thats affordable i guess for that district

well. 2,400 * 12 = 28,800 a year. Most financial experts suggest 25-30% goes to housing so your income should be 96-115k, but realistically the avg NYer pays 50% if their income to housing, so 58k income. And its a two bedroom, so you split it with a buddy, so 29k income to live with a friend who also makes 29k.

not saying 50% is right, but that's the NY rate, that's what you have to compete with.

but what do I know I have 2k to blow on 2 season tickets, I'm out of touch.

Edit:
Wait no, I am not out of touch, I pay 2k for a 2 bed in astoria. If you want to live in LIC then you should be fine with paying 2,400. Suck it up, cause there are other places to live if you can't afford it. I'm sure there are even cheaper places in queens. You cant complain about 2,400 for living right next to manhattan, that's good. if you only make 30k then move out of the city. Im sure you can make that somewhere else. If you choose to burn your money on 50% housing costs that's your own choice.

Last edited: