Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
well. 2,400 * 12 = 28,800 a year. Most financial experts suggest 25-30% goes to housing so your income should be 96-115k, but realistically the avg NYer pays 50% if their income to housing, so 58k income. And its a two bedroom, so you split it with a buddy, so 29k income to live with a friend who also makes 29k.

not saying 50% is right, but that's the NY rate, that's what you have to compete with.

but what do I know I have 2k to blow on 2 season tickets, I'm out of touch.

Edit:
Wait no, I am not out of touch, I pay 2k for a 2 bed in astoria. If you want to live in LIC then you should be fine with paying 2,400. Suck it up, cause there are other places to live if you can't afford it. I'm sure there are even cheaper places in queens. You cant complain about 2,400 for living right next to manhattan, that's good. if you only make 30k then move out of the city. Im sure you can make that somewhere else. If you choose to burn your money on 50% housing costs that's your own choice.
yea go ahead and applaud the gentrification. watch what happens when they come for your neighborhood.

Artisnal cheese shops and bars
There's nothing wrong with either of those so long as they don't displace the residents in the neighborhood..... they're a hell of an upgrade over Every Monday Going Out Of Business shops.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
yea go ahead and applaud the gentrification. watch what happens when they come for your neighborhood.
They can come for my neighborhood. And I will respond by either accepting the price raise, or move. I will say though, Astoria is not a neighborhood that I think you can gentrify much. It already is high priced.

Vilifying gentrification is a funny thing. You rent a place in a cheap neighborhood because its all you can afford at the time. And once the neighborhood improves you expect the landlord to hold your rent below the market rate just because you've been a long time resident. It doesn't work like that. If the neighborhood turns bad you'd move out as soon as you could and the leave the landlord to take the price hit. You'd move on and not think twice about his losses. You can't expect to win in both scenario's as a renter. You don't own the property, you don't take the risks, so you don't get to reap the rewards. And if you don't like gentrification just because you don't like sweeping changes to the buildings then your living in a fictitious world. Life is not static. Changes happen. People move.

They can come for my neighborhood. And I will respond by either accepting the price raise, or move. I will say though, Astoria is not a neighborhood that I think you can gentrify much. It already is high priced.

Vilifying gentrification is a funny thing. You rent a place in a cheap neighborhood because its all you can afford at the time. And once the neighborhood improves you expect the landlord to hold your rent below the market rate just because you've been a long time resident. It doesn't work like that. If the neighborhood turns bad you'd move out as soon as you could and the leave the landlord to take the price hit. You'd move on and not think twice about his losses. You can't expect to win in both scenario's as a renter. You don't own the property, you don't take the risks, so you don't get to reap the rewards. And if you don't like gentrification just because you don't like sweeping changes to the buildings then your living in a fictitious world. Life is not static. Changes happen. People move.

The problem with gentrification isn't the fact that people want to invest in new housing and infrastructure. That is a good thing.

The problem is there are too many poor people. The problem is people can't afford to live in nice places. The problem is income inequalities and racial disparities. And they get shafted.

Ask just about anyone who lives in a poorer neighborhood - if they suddenly landed a job that paid 4x more money, would they stay where they are or move? They'd move, wouldn't they. So I think it's less about preserving the neighborhood, per se, but about power. People are forced out. The imbalance of power and money creates the tension.

Woah, this thread getting political. Sorry.

Astoria already got gentrified. Both of my parents were raised in Astoria. Even just 20 years ago a one bedroom was 600-800 a month. Also I duno where this idea that "just move" is a reasonable expectation comes from. Some of us have roots. I been in this neighborhood my whole life, and now that the yupsters have discovered the 7 train I'm supposed to leave cuz too bad for me? I can't even afford to grocery shopping in my neighborhood anymore cuz now they want twice the price for all the produce. My mother's been here for 40 years and now that she's a disabled senior citizen on a fixed income she can't "just move", nor should she have to. Even if it means I have to go all the way to Elmhurst to buy her groceries, she should be able to live out her life in the home she built throughout "the bad old days" in the 70s & 80s. And anyway it's in everyone's interest for the gentrification to stop if we want a stadium in Sunnyside Yards lol

The problem with gentrification isn't the fact that people want to invest in new housing and infrastructure. That is a good thing.

The problem is there are too many poor people. The problem is people can't afford to live in nice places. The problem is income inequalities and racial disparities. And they get shafted.

Ask just about anyone who lives in a poorer neighborhood - if they suddenly landed a job that paid 4x more money, would they stay where they are or move? They'd move, wouldn't they. So I think it's less about preserving the neighborhood, per se, but about power. People are forced out. The imbalance of power and money creates the tension.

Woah, this thread getting political. Sorry.
people arent really forced out. its more they cant keep up with the rise in rent.

Another way of saying forced out. They don't have the option to stay.
If you can't afford something, you don't get it. Simple as that. More affordable places are always available, as I have said on these forums numerous times, come on out to Western Mass and buy a palace set on 5 acres for the price of NYC rent.
They have the option of getting a 2nd or third job so they can stay put, but if they are unwilling or unable to pay the market rate, too bad so sad. They could have bought the property when it was cheap, invested in it for all those years. When you rent, you are not taking any of the risk or making any of the investment, you are paying for the roof over your head for a month. The price of that roof changes.
When gas prices go back up to $4, whenever that may be, do the people who are paying $1.75 now have to pay the $4, or is that only for new drivers and rich people who can afford it.

LET THE FREE MARKET RULE!

If you can't afford something, you don't get it. Simple as that. More affordable places are always available, as I have said on these forums numerous times, come on out to Western Mass and buy a palace set on 5 acres for the price of NYC rent.
They have the option of getting a 2nd or third job so they can stay put, but if they are unwilling or unable to pay the market rate, too bad so sad. They could have bought the property when it was cheap, invested in it for all those years. When you rent, you are not taking any of the risk or making any of the investment, you are paying for the roof over your head for a month. The price of that roof changes.
When gas prices go back up to $4, whenever that may be, do the people who are paying $1.75 now have to pay the $4, or is that only for new drivers and rich people who can afford it.

LET THE FREE MARKET RULE!

This will be my last post on the topic to save this thread from lock, but I generally agree with you. Renters are renters, owners are owners. Neighborhoods change.

That said, you can have that opinion and still recognize that there are huge numbers of people that our economy is simply leaving behind. That work hard everyday, yet get pushed around like they don't matter. That are under intense pressure and stress just to try to live a reasonably normal life. There *is* a problem, and though gentrification (i.e. investment) isn't it, it definitely highlights it.

The idea that these people should just pick up a 2nd job is so out of touch.

This will be my last post on the topic to save this thread from lock, but I generally agree with you. Renters are renters, owners are owners. Neighborhoods change.

That said, you can have that opinion and still recognize that there are huge numbers of people that our economy is simply leaving behind. That work hard everyday, yet get pushed around like they don't matter. That are under intense pressure and stress just to try to live a reasonably normal life. There *is* a problem, and though gentrification (i.e. investment) isn't it, it definitely highlights it.

The idea that these people should just pick up a 2nd job is so out of touch.

to be fair...this thread should of been locked a loooong time ago with no stadium news coming out at all and may not come out till a few years at least.

Reactions: FootyLovin
to be fair...this thread should of been locked a loooong time ago with no stadium news coming out at all and may not come out till a few years at least.

At the end of the day, this is a discussion forum not a news outlet. We want to encourage people to debate the topics at hand regardless of whether there's new info coming out or not. After all, if we locked threads when there was no new info, this place would virtually shut up shop during the off-season.

While this thread has, admittedly, taken a bit of a turn in its focus it is still talking property and locations and it's not an issue for us right now. I have no plans to lock right now.

At the end of the day, this is a discussion forum not a news outlet. We want to encourage people to debate the topics at hand regardless of whether there's new info coming out or not. After all, if we locked threads when there was no new info, this place would virtually shut up shop during the off-season.

While this thread has, admittedly, taken a bit of a turn in its focus it is still talking property and locations and it's not an issue for us right now. I have no plans to lock right now.

perhaps just at times i see that the thread has increased a few pages im thinking oh new rumor or something, and it turns out its just a political battle or about other issues that belong on the off topic boards. i guess its what happens when there is no news and just pure speculation is all that is left.

Ultimate pipe dream that requires everybody to wear multiple layers of tin-foil hats...... (and the probability of this happening is better than me having won Wednesday's lottery)

Madison Square Garden's is on borrowed time with the city not renewing their lease and NYS wants to move Penn Station over to the Post Office. What happens to that site between 31st/33rd street and 7th/8th Avenue? That would be the most amazing location as a transportation hub destination (close to West Side Highway, tunnels, rail and subways), restaurants/bars, and centrally located. Have CFG kick in some (a lot of) $$ to help with the Penn Station relocation and wheels could be greased. Granted, MSG isn't getting kicked out until 2023, so the timeline sucks, but maybe that's stadium #2 for after NYCFC outgrows the 1st generation venue.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGarrettLieb