Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I saw this last time and i decided to skip it, but i see it again and wanted to chime in.

1st: There is a way to compare infinite sets its called cardinality. Not sure it exactly applies here as you still have infinite numbers just each unit is 10 to 3 in size. But I think you were referring the cash generated per barrel.

2nd: There is not an infinite supply of oil in the world. It is a relatively finite resource. (It is technically renewable, but not in a convenient time frame. I.e. millions of years.) I think the estimates are Saudi Arabia has ~60 years of proven reserves if it continues to pump at current rates.

I'm making an argumentative point, not a mathematical proof.

And how long does it take from grand central or penn station? That's my point.

You can get to West 4th street in a few minutes from Penn. Houston & Christoepher not much longer on the 1 line. Grand Central is a different story. But no location suits everyone perfectly. Pier 40 is 100% accessible.

Reactions: joe
You can get to West 4th street in a few minutes from Penn. Houston & Christoepher not much longer on the 1 line. Grand Central is a different story. But no location suits everyone perfectly. Pier 40 is 100% accessible.

It's 40 blocks from Grand Central?

Maybe we have a different idea of what a few minutes means

Pier 40 - just imagine the pre-game booze taxi and floating bar possibilities.

Bring your boat to the game for tailgating.

penn station to either of those subway stations, about 5 minutes. grand central 15 to 20.

I think that's about right. You would need to take the shuttle over to Times Square and take the 1 downtown. The train changes and walk are not ideal for northern suburb commuters but I would gladly put up with all of that for such a great location. No question.

Bring your boat to the game for tailgating.

I think that's about right. You would need to take the shuttle over to Times Square and take the 1 downtown. The train changes and walk are not ideal for northern suburb commuters but I would gladly put up with all of that for such a great location. No question.
In Cuomo's Penn Station/Post Office mega plan, Metro North is going to connect to Penn Station and add a few extra Bronx stations. Once that happens, it's going to be a truly simple ride down from the northernburbs of Westchester and Connecticut.

1. I think the credit increase alone would not be worth getting excited about. But that report also had a statement from a "source" that we should expect news about the NYCFC stadium search "soon." Those together is what really caused the commotion.

2. We'll never get a stadium until CFG drops these kind of demands:

In December of 2013, The New York Times reported that in the prior month a spokesperson of the de Blasio administration stated to the New York times that “the newly elected mayor was not in favor of the proposed Bronx Stadium plan because it entailed tax breaks, the sale or lease of public land and public financing”.

I really hope someone sets them straight on their unrealistic expectations and they just bite the bullet. Buy the land from GAL, pay to relocate them, buy the parking garages subject to the debt, and pay taxes. This could be done next week. Easy to say when it's not my money, but still.

1. I think the credit increase alone would not be worth getting excited about. But that report also had a statement from a "source" that we should expect news about the NYCFC stadium search "soon." Those together is what really caused the commotion.

2. We'll never get a stadium until CFG drops these kind of demands:

I really hope someone sets them straight on their unrealistic expectations and they just bite the bullet. Buy the land from GAL, pay to relocate them, buy the parking garages subject to the debt, and pay taxes. This could be done next week. Easy to say when it's not my money, but still.
All true, but with any negotiation, Party A knows what they're willing to strike a deal at and always starts higher. If they get concessions, then it's a bonus, but if they are negotiated down to their strike number, they haven't lost anything. I'm sure CFG started by firmly requesting everything possible and slowly have been relinquishing sticking points - same as the City. Hopefully both parties find a common ground soon, or as you point out, CFG finally just says F-it and goes the entirely private route.

All true, but with any negotiation, Party A knows what they're willing to strike a deal at and always starts higher. If they get concessions, then it's a bonus, but if they are negotiated down to their strike number, they haven't lost anything. I'm sure CFG started by firmly requesting everything possible and slowly have been relinquishing sticking points - same as the City. Hopefully both parties find a common ground soon, or as you point out, CFG finally just says F-it and goes the entirely private route.

Time is money. By all means, CFG can go ahead and try to negotiate this bitch. But is an 8 year negotiation process spread over potentially three mayoral administrations worth it? Because that's what it will take. If, in the end, we don't have to cover 50% of the debt of the garages (which piles higher every year) and save $10-20 million per year on taxes, is that really worth waiting 10 years to open the thing?

My point is that I hope CFG realizes by now what a challenging process it will be. If so, I think it would tip the scales toward just biting the bullet and building the thing without any help from the government whatsoever.

Time is money. By all means, CFG can go ahead and try to negotiate this bitch. But is an 8 year negotiation process spread over potentially three mayoral administrations worth it? Because that's what it will take. If, in the end, we don't have to cover 50% of the debt of the garages (which piles higher every year) and save $10-20 million per year on taxes, is that really worth waiting 10 years to open the thing?

My point is that I hope CFG realizes by now what a challenging process it will be. If so, I think it would tip the scales toward just biting the bullet and building the thing without any help from the government whatsoever.
Again, all true points..... The Steinbrenners are sports royalty and the Sheik is royal royalty..... so we're discussing the thought processes of megalomaniancs and winning is always their goal. They may wind up going 100% private, which from a financial standpoint could be a winning solution, but they'll feel like that's caving in and losing to the City in a public perception and cache level.

They may wind up going 100% private, which from a financial standpoint could be a winning solution, but they'll feel like that's caving in and losing to the City in a public perception and cache level.
I think that they'd be celebrated for going 100% private. I feel like orlando's fans appreciate them going private, along with the whole mls community. I mean he'll I'm tired of all these millionaire/billionaire sports franchise owners taking advantage of cities by demanding us (the tax payers) pay for stadiums, where those millions could easily go to infrastructure, or education, or any number of other sections. With that being said, it's basically par for the course for any team to use tax payers money, and idk if CFG and the Steinbrenners bite the bullet and lose a whole bunch of money.

Reactions: Aubyn Delta BC
I think that they'd be celebrated for going 100% private. I feel like orlando's fans appreciate them going private, along with the whole mls community. I mean he'll I'm tired of all these millionaire/billionaire sports franchise owners taking advantage of cities by demanding us (the tax payers) pay for stadiums, where those millions could easily go to infrastructure, or education, or any number of other sections. With that being said, it's basically par for the course for any team to use tax payers money, and idk if CFG and the Steinbrenners bite the bullet and lose a whole bunch of money.
Yeah, rereading what you highlighted, I realize I didn't convey my thoughts correctly. Meant that if they go 100%, they will have caved in the public realm of observation - i.e. it's not a secret they were beaten - and when dealing with the City, they have less cache because the City knows they've caved on this issue, why not the next time too.

But yes, in the public's eye, it'd be a win because the public would know they aren't subsidizing a private enterprise.

Reactions: Konrad
Members when there's finally real stadium news.

giphy.gif