• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
That's absurd. I love it. 4 levels and that steap? Good for them

Well, kind of bad for them actually. They've got very little space for expansion as there is a major street running down that side. So, they are building straight up.

They could easily double the size of the stadium and sell out, but the best they can do is another 4,000 seats.

Still, it is totally original - which is in keeping with that venue. One day...

Reactions: Kjbert
The Yankees will not put netting up from foul pole to foul pole.

It also probably won't be that high, because all they need to do is protect people from line drives. So the netting probably won't be anywhere as high as it is behind the plate.

*ahem*

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Mee...-1BD6-4306-849F-9942333DF550&Options=&Search=

Summary: This bill requires protective netting to extend from the area behind home plate to the foul poles at the end of both foul lines, during baseball games in New York City, in stadiums with a capacity of at least 5,000 spectators.

Big issue here is that currently the Yankees don't pull the nets down for NYCFC games. I'm sure it's totally doable and they're down early in the year when there is no baseball, but if you're NYCFC this is another "shit we need to leave" moment.

Yeah I know about that. That legislation was created to put pressure on the Yankees and Mets. Look at what the Mets did at Citi Field -- they put netting up along most of the way into the outfield, but it's only about 5 feet high farther out in the outfield. The Yankees are likely putting up more netting, but it's not going to be anything like what we see behind the plate.

Yeah I know about that. That legislation was created to put pressure on the Yankees and Mets. Look at what the Mets did at Citi Field -- they put netting up along most of the way into the outfield, but it's only about 5 feet high farther out in the outfield. The Yankees are likely putting up more netting, but it's not going to be anything like what we see behind the plate.
I actually have no idea what the Mets netting looks like, is there a picture anywhere?

Though my very limited understanding is, the Mets did that in hopes that the council wouldn't pass a law. Almost as a "see look, this is good enough right?"

I actually have no idea what the Mets netting looks like, is there a picture anywhere?

Though my very limited understanding is, the Mets did that in hopes that the council wouldn't pass a law. Almost as a "see look, this is good enough right?"

Exactly -- they put pressure, and the Mets did something. Now the Yankees need to do something. My guess is they put netting up to the outside of the dugout.

The netting is also not a big deal -- five minutes into a game you'll forget it's even there.

Here's a picture of Citi Field -- notice how you can't even really tell where the netting extends. The only big deal is interacting with the players, but this shouldn't impact views:

EDIT: source: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...otective-netting-citi-field-article-1.3327696

netting.jpg

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Yep. They just want to see that investment grow and to be able to cross sell services (i.e. market the Yankees to our fan base and have their hospitality business serve our new stadium one day).
lol, if anything I would think setting up shop next to the mets would be a neutral/positive point to the Yankees and in no way negative. If they are not rivals then it equates to a nothing move, but if they are bitter rivals what better way to jab at them then to make a move on their territory. what are the mets gonna do, buy the GAL site and move a lacrosse team there? There recourse would be minimal. So if it end up in a spat the yankees get credit for making the first and the larger move. And in the end plots of land get developed, everyone wins..... except the mets i suppose, but that's par for the course ya?

Exactly -- they put pressure, and the Mets did something. Now the Yankees need to do something. My guess is they put netting up to the outside of the dugout.

The netting is also not a big deal -- five minutes into a game you'll forget it's even there.

Here's a picture of Citi Field -- notice how you can't even really tell where the netting extends. The only big deal is interacting with the players, but this shouldn't impact views:

EDIT: source: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...otective-netting-citi-field-article-1.3327696

netting.jpg
This is a better image to see the extend of the netting, albeit a rendering.
nymets-citi-3rdbaseabove2.jpg

That picture seems to have the netting stop at the end of the Met dugouts. I think theirs goes a little farther, but I am not sure.

The NYC councilman has stated that his bill is to apply pressure on the teams to do more, and that he would not necessarily insist on going all the way to the foul pole. It is difficult to imagine the Yankees being under more pressure than they are right now. I think they will extend - at least to the end of the dugout, and maybe a bit more. The little girl was seated just outside the edge of the dugout, but the ball almost certainly traveled over the dugout to get to her. So, putting netting to the end of the dugout would have prevented her injuries. With all the data the teams have on where balls go and how fast they travel, the Yankees should be able to analyze where the most dangerous balls land and how far the netting needs to go, both down the line and up in the air.

You can see from the seating chart below how any extension would affect a soccer match (assuming the netting is not lowered). If the Yankees extend the netting over the dugouts, that would take it through 15A, or the edge of the penalty area on the end line, and 25, or just short of midfield, on the side line.

71562s.gif

That picture seems to have the netting stop at the end of the Met dugouts. I think theirs goes a little farther, but I am not sure.

The NYC councilman has stated that his bill is to apply pressure on the teams to do more, and that he would not necessarily insist on going all the way to the foul pole. It is difficult to imagine the Yankees being under more pressure than they are right now. I think they will extend - at least to the end of the dugout, and maybe a bit more. The little girl was seated just outside the edge of the dugout, but the ball almost certainly traveled over the dugout to get to her. So, putting netting to the end of the dugout would have prevented her injuries. With all the data the teams have on where balls go and how fast they travel, the Yankees should be able to analyze where the most dangerous balls land and how far the netting needs to go, both down the line and up in the air.

You can see from the seating chart below how any extension would affect a soccer match (assuming the netting is not lowered). If the Yankees extend the netting over the dugouts, that would take it through 15A, or the edge of the penalty area on the end line, and 25, or just short of midfield, on the side line.

71562s.gif
I really don't have much to base this off of, but I get the feeling that any netting going across to the end of the dugouts would be fairly easy to take down and put back up, right?

I really don't have much to base this off of, but I get the feeling that any netting going across to the end of the dugouts would be fairly easy to take down and put back up, right?
I mean, it's a net so probably. The question you have to ask is "do the Yankees care enough to want to do that?"

I'm sure it just means more man hours to raise and lower it as well as checking to make sure it's secured properly each time it's brought down and put back up.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

I don't know that it would be any better or worse than what is behind home plate. Depends on how it is held up, where the anchoring points are, etc. My guess is that they would use the same guide wire that runs around the stadium and holds up the netting behind home plate. You could dangle the lower netting off of that.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I spent most of my childhood and young adult life into my 20s watching games at Derby through cages like this......( I was at the game in the picture below)

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...promotion-with-fans-after-picture-id468266528

I thought nothing of it at the time but once they finally got taken down I couldn't believe how much they'd obstructed my view for years.

Point is in my opinion it sucks being behind any sort of obstruction (net or fence) so I'm glad I sit on the 200 level

Last edited:
How about we make this thread a little less depressing and discuss how we'd like to remember Yankee Stadium.

How about we make this thread a little less depressing and discuss how we'd like to remember Yankee Stadium.

Well, should we win any trophy that merits a banner. I'd really like to know where they hang it. But it certainly won't be a permanent fixture.

I spent most of my childhood and young adult life into my 20s watching games at Derby through cages like this......( I was at the game in the picture below)

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...promotion-with-fans-after-picture-id468266528

I thought nothing of it at the time but once they finally got taken down I couldn't believe how much they'd obstructed my view for years.

Point is in my opinion it sucks being behind any sort of obstruction (net or fence) so I'm glad I sit on the 200 level

That's really not comparable in any way.

Reactions: Ulrich

Point is in my opinion it sucks being behind any sort of obstruction (net or fence) and I, glad I sit on the 200 level
That's really not comparable in any way.

How not? I'm just saying that watching through a fence or a mesh sucks.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC