Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
For anyone who hasn't been by MetLife in the last 6 months, the American Dream Mall is moving along fast. It's going to have an aquarium, ski slope, indoor rollercoaster...it's the largest mall in the northern hemisphere they say. Opening next spring. Honestly, Red Bulls should have had a stadium built there.

Northern Hemisphere? Bigger than Mall of America?

They're are many different ways to tank the size of a mall, so lots of different ways to claim biggest: raw square feet, total retail leasable space, most attended, etc.

Largest in NA based on leasable retail space is Edmonton (followed by Mall of America).

American dream will be #3, but is actually more than half entertainment vs retail.

Looks a bit weird, but at least DC United now have a home.

DfwR6xHU8AAJ_cc.jpg:large

That stadium had such promise from the earlier sets of renderings. Then it just got crappier and crappier and cheaper and cheaper.

At least Minnesota United is sticking to the original plans for Allianz Field and it will be a gem in MLS.

I keep looking. And I’m thinking maybe it’s the seat colors mixed with all that concrete that makes it look more drab than it really is. I’m wondering if they continued with the red seats all over, maybe even a name pattern in the seats, if it would look better. I’m thinking yes.

What’s really surprising is the lack of an upper concourse. Everyone files down to the ground level. If they actually sell out, those bathrooms and concessions will be a shit show.

http://dcist.com/2018/06/is_dc_united_ready_for_its_close-up.php

Sun now shines directly into TV cameras. Owners are obviously looking to use the stadium to flip the team. No one makes a design change like that if care long-term about the team.

From the article you link:
"Originally billed as a fully enclosed venue with a capacity of 25,000, design changes were necessitated by the relatively small footprint the stadium occupies at Buzzard Point. The presence of an adjacent Pepco facility has required an easement under the stadium to allow the power company access to subterranean wires, forcing the venue’s entire east grandstand to be erected above and around it.
The most obvious design change was the loss of that striking full roof, replaced by a pair of far smaller overhangs that extend over the east and west grandstands.
That’s created an unforeseen issue, one flagged by three sources familiar with the situation, which could inhibit Audi Field’s ability to host big, nationally televised events like U.S. national team games.
'The sun points directly into the cameras,' said one source, who went on to suggest that it will be difficult to broadcast evening games for most of the summer due to the position of the sun."​

That's exactly what I said except in more words, but, go with the narrative.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
From the article you link:
"Originally billed as a fully enclosed venue with a capacity of 25,000, design changes were necessitated by the relatively small footprint the stadium occupies at Buzzard Point. The presence of an adjacent Pepco facility has required an easement under the stadium to allow the power company access to subterranean wires, forcing the venue’s entire east grandstand to be erected above and around it.
The most obvious design change was the loss of that striking full roof, replaced by a pair of far smaller overhangs that extend over the east and west grandstands.
That’s created an unforeseen issue, one flagged by three sources familiar with the situation, which could inhibit Audi Field’s ability to host big, nationally televised events like U.S. national team games.
'The sun points directly into the cameras,' said one source, who went on to suggest that it will be difficult to broadcast evening games for most of the summer due to the position of the sun."​

That's exactly what I said except in more words, but, go with the narrative.
i am. they are cheap as fuck in everything they do as a team. can't wait until we see new ownership.