Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Well, they also talked about building the 2nd avenue subway line for half a century..... and look what's happening on the east side.
They're building something over there now. I'm on 93rd between 1st and 2nd and there's always construction going on.

They're building something over there now. I'm on 93rd between 1st and 2nd and there's always construction going on.

Ya, the Q is supposed to run up 2nd Ave to 96th street opening December 2016.

Then planned to run all the way to 125th. Then eventually the track will run all the way downtown and they'll put a new T train on that track. Maybe in 20 years, lol.

They've been talking about moving Amtrak to the post office for 20 years. And there is no reason to move MSG if it's not to bring that train station out of the basement.

They're bringing the train station out of the basement! The Post Office move is happening and the Felt Forum/Paramoun/Theater (I am so old) is being razed to the ground.

This one is REALLY happening.

Reactions: Kjbert
They're bringing the train station out of the basement! The Post Office move is happening and the Felt Forum/Paramoun/Theater (I am so old) is being razed to the ground.

Yes but how does this have anything to do with NYCFC and their Stadium? I know that sounds kinda harsh, but I'm just curious.

Yes but how does this have anything to do with NYCFC and their Stadium? I know that sounds kinda harsh, but I'm just curious.

It doesn't sound harsh, it just sounds like you couldn't be bothered to read a few posts earlier in the thread before writing a passively aggressive post. But hey, when you've been a member of the forum for six full weeks, I guess you get certain privileges.

I wonder if we're fighting the Dolans behind the scenes for the opportunity to build a new stadium in Manhattan. They must be thinking ahead and there doesn't look like there room for one of them, let alone two.

So, let's take this full circle and battle over the forgotten pier 40. Maybe with the new players on our side, it could be in the mix again. I mean if peir 57 can get this:

http://m.ny.curbed.com/archives/201..._signs_lease_for_enormous_pier_57_offices.php

Why the hell cant we get a little stadium????

That post office would be the perfect exterior for our stadium. Gut the building except for the exterior walls. Build the new Penn station down 3 stories as it is now, then cover it and build the new field and stadium coming up out of the old structure.

That post office would be the perfect exterior for our stadium. Gut the building except for the exterior walls. Build the new Penn station down 3 stories as it is now, then cover it and build the new field and stadium coming up out of the old structure.
I say build the new station 6 stories below ground, then fill the hole with water so we can have the best of both worlds -- a midtown location close to mass transit AND a floating stadium.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
Spoke with a client who builds development in the city. She said the de Blasio administration more or less has a moratorium on any rezoning in the city right now unless they get something out of it. She's trying to turn a commercial building in Brooklyn into a residential space. De Blasio has his hand out, so to speak.

You want a stadium? Make sure he isn't re-elected.

Spoke with a client who builds development in the city. She said the de Blasio administration more or less has a moratorium on any rezoning in the city right now unless they get something out of it. She's trying to turn a commercial building in Brooklyn into a residential space. De Blasio has his hand out, so to speak.

You want a stadium? Make sure he isn't re-elected.
De Blasio is playing chicken in a game he's going to lose. By holding out and trying to be the big chief in the city, hes not going to get any affordable housing built. Developers are going to hold out knowing he has only two years left and the Democratic Party is going to have to put somebody up against him in the Primary.

38% of NY'ers are still misguided

Ultimate pipe dream that requires everybody to wear multiple layers of tin-foil hats...... (and the probability of this happening is better than me having won Wednesday's lottery)

Madison Square Garden's is on borrowed time with the city not renewing their lease and NYS wants to move Penn Station over to the Post Office. What happens to that site between 31st/33rd street and 7th/8th Avenue? That would be the most amazing location as a transportation hub destination (close to West Side Highway, tunnels, rail and subways), restaurants/bars, and centrally located. Have CFG kick in some (a lot of) $$ to help with the Penn Station relocation and wheels could be greased. Granted, MSG isn't getting kicked out until 2023, so the timeline sucks, but maybe that's stadium #2 for after NYCFC outgrows the 1st generation venue.

The site isn't big enough. MSG barely fits on that plot, forget about a 30k seat outdoor stadium. As much as that would have me drooling, it just isn't possible, and real estate costs would lead one to believe that they'd build a corporate building there before anything else.

De Blasio is playing chicken in a game he's going to lose. By holding out and trying to be the big chief in the city, hes not going to get any affordable housing built. Developers are going to hold out knowing he has only two years left and the Democratic Party is going to have to put somebody up against him in the Primary.

38% of NY'ers are still misguided

I'm in such a terrible position with De Blasio. As a schoolteacher in this city, he is the first advocate we have had in a very long time occupy the Mayor's office. That being said, on literally EVERYTHING else he is a terrible mayor.

The site isn't big enough. MSG barely fits on that plot, forget about a 30k seat outdoor stadium. As much as that would have me drooling, it just isn't possible, and real estate costs would lead one to believe that they'd build a corporate building there before anything else.
The entire site is MSG - it's not just the entertainment venue but also the office building. If that site is rethought/redeveloped, all of it would be torn down.

So in this hypothetical, two of the richest sports franchises in all of sports, the Knicks and the Rangers, are deciding that even pooling their resources, it is too expensive to simply maintain their existing venue and pay the new tax deal from the city - so expensive that it's actually cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Under those circumstances, the hypothetical is that NCYFC, an enterprise that is valued at just percentage points of the Knicks and Rangers combined and has a much, much smaller fan base, is going to come in and take the deal those other two fanchises walked away from? Plus the massive investment it would take to convert the site to a soccer stadium?

This might be less likely than a floating stadium.

So in this hypothetical, two of the richest sports franchises in all of sports, the Knicks and the Rangers, are deciding that even pooling their resources, it is too expensive to simply maintain their existing venue and pay the new tax deal from the city - so expensive that it's actually cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere.

Under those circumstances, the hypothetical is that NCYFC, an enterprise that is valued at just percentage points of the Knicks and Rangers combined and has a much, much smaller fan base, is going to come in and take the deal those other two fanchises walked away from? Plus the massive investment it would take to convert the site to a soccer stadium?

Are you forgetting how absolutely large of D-bags the Dolans are? They'd cut off their left arms before surrendering to the will of the City to pay the taxes. Go look up the word Entitlement in wikipedia (and if you give me a few moments I'll make sure) you'll find a picture of them as the definition. Seriously, these are the scumbags that didn't care how many Knick's contracts they had to pay for a half dozen years after cutting the players because they'd just raise the price of cable in the city. In their eyes, the city should be bowing down and kissing their feet.

I'm in such a terrible position with De Blasio. As a schoolteacher in this city, he is the first advocate we have had in a very long time occupy the Mayor's office. That being said, on literally EVERYTHING else he is a terrible mayor.
what subject do you teach? which grades? what borough?

I think the most important point, along these lines, is that if the current MSG were to be razed to the ground for redevelopment, a soccer stadium would probably be the single option for that site that would make the least people the least money. And generally, things that make the most people the most money are things that happen.

And for the cost of acquiring and developing there, CFG could buy out the elevator site 50x over.

If it helps you out, when (if?) there ever is a new update to the story, I plan to amend it into the title of the thread so that everyone knows.
If I might make a suggestion for the thread name: Stadium Discussion (date of last news story or info)

That way every time news came out there would be a predictable naming convention and it would also keep us aware of just how long it's been since the last real news.

For example, right now our thread title would be:

Stadium Discussion (12/29/15)

That was the last time there was info that came out about the site in the upper Bronx being for a training facility and not for a stadium. It would also make it easy for someone to track back to find the last real news and skip past all the speculation and ramblings.

Reactions: danger and Paul