• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Wow. Just started the article. 85 acres. 85! That's incredible.

Something I think is worth mentioning, I learned that some "interested parties" whose names I wasn't given, looked into purchasing some tracks from the MTA by the Fresh Direct site late last year.

And, they're considering a push to rezone Borden Avenue for some commercial spaces.

Bad news about that: Rezoning could mean a LOT more people become interested in land around there, so they'd have to act fast

Good news about that: It could also mean that a stadium could be seen as an anchor much in the way RBA was (supposed to be) for Harrison's plans.

I'll keep looking as always but that's the latest update.

Something I think is worth mentioning, I learned that some "interested parties" whose names I wasn't given, looked into purchasing some tracks from the MTA by the Fresh Direct site late last year.

And, they're considering a push to rezone Borden Avenue for some commercial spaces.

Bad news about that: Rezoning could mean a LOT more people become interested in land around there, so they'd have to act fast

Good news about that: It could also mean that a stadium could be seen as an anchor much in the way RBA was (supposed to be) for Harrison's plans.

I'm not going to lie - when I see your name pop up as the most recent poster in a meaningful thread, I get kind of excited.

I am not convinced by the Fresh Direct site. The current tenant at the Fresh Direct property has a lease until 2019 with an option to extend until 2020. There are also a number of surrounding parcels that were not recently purchased and would still need to be purchased to actually put a stadium there. This could mean a combination of things:
  1. Any chance of a stadium at the site is unlikely to start until 2019 or 2020 at the earliest;
  2. The owners would be willing to buy Fresh Direct out of their lease (unknown if the lease contained a buyout clause);
  3. The owners knew it was going to take a long time to fix the zoning and regulatory issues, so they wanted to collect rent in the mean time;
  4. The Fresh Direct site is the largest parcel at the site, so they wanted to own it before anyone got wind of what they were planning and will gobble up the surrounding sites eventually;
  5. It just isn't the site.
Although the site looks good in theory, I don't see a high likelihood, especially with the train tracks running along the portion along the river.

Reactions: Kjbert
Off topic for NYCFC, but i like hearing when MLS teams are planning to build state of the art facilties. It means the league is continuing to move forward.

New MLS team Los Angeles Football Club eyeing Tustin for training headquarters, youth complex

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tustin-723760-sports-park.html
The equivalent of LAFC building in Tustin for us is if we stuck our training facility in a place as remote and as far away as Chappaqua. It's easy to buy 85 acres in nowhere, CA.

What I'm saying is, NYCFC should buy 85 acres in nowhere, NY, and build a state of the art youth complex.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The equivalent of LAFC building in Tustin for us is if we stuck our training facility in a place as remote and as far away as Chappaqua. It's easy to buy 85 acres in nowhere, CA.

What I'm saying is, NYCFC should buy 85 acres in nowhere, NY, and build a state of the art youth complex.
All the kids' parents from NYC aren't going to want to make the drive to/from Nowhere, NY each day.

Plus those 85 acres aren't needed by NYCFC. LAFC is planning to have baseball diamonds along with three hotels. No need for either of those. Maybe one hotel, but in the NYC region even that isn't really necessary.

All the kids' parents from NYC aren't going to want to make the drive to/from Nowhere, NY each day.

Plus those 85 acres aren't needed by NYCFC. LAFC is planning to have baseball diamonds along with three hotels. No need for either of those. Maybe one hotel, but in the NYC region even that isn't really necessary.
Yeah I guess the (edit: current) initiative is urban but in America it seems the demographic for youth soccer is upper middle class. So why not push for the talent in Westchester County & Connecticut?

Based off of the cryptic clues The Toe has laid out in this thread I would say that the site he is referring to is Sunnyside Yards and that CFG want to build another Manchester City like complex so maybe we will get those state of the art youth facilities after all.

Yeah I guess the (edit: current) initiative is urban but in America it seems the demographic for youth soccer is upper middle class. So why not push for the talent in Westchester County & Connecticut?
Have you looked at what youth clubs are affiliated with NYCFC's academy? With the exception of maybe 3 youth clubs, they're all based in the boroughs, and they have supplied nearly all of the kids to the Academy. This will likely change in the future, with more kids being uncovered outside of our affiliate system, but that's likely a long way off since each is ingrained in their neighborhoods/areas and they get the kids in early. Additionally, MLS clubs have a sphere of influence that they can claim kids from so as not to poach from another MLS team (like a Barcelona drawing from anywhere they want). NYCFC is really focusing on the city, with as big a population that it has, is a hotbed of unearthed/under-developed talent.

The idea that we are looking for some type of youth training grounds/stadium complex in the city is beyond dumb. If we can't even get enough land to build a stadium, there is no way we are finding room for training grounds/youth fields next to the stadium.

Don't underestimate the willingness of people to move heaven and earth for youth sports. I know people have their kids do a 3+ hour commute every day from deep brooklyn to jersey prep school just for sports. The easy solution could be create a residency program and/or partner to a local private school or even create our own and board players there.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
We could always have several satellite grounds in the City, bringing the city kids out to our main grounds in the 'burbs on weekends and other important events.

But isn't the training facility going just over the GW by the Palisades? Hasn't that been in the works for a while and discussed?

Have you looked at what youth clubs are affiliated with NYCFC's academy? With the exception of maybe 3 youth clubs, they're all based in the boroughs, and they have supplied nearly all of the kids to the Academy. This will likely change in the future, with more kids being uncovered outside of our affiliate system, but that's likely a long way off since each is ingrained in their neighborhoods/areas and they get the kids in early. Additionally, MLS clubs have a sphere of influence that they can claim kids from so as not to poach from another MLS team (like a Barcelona drawing from anywhere they want). NYCFC is really focusing on the city, with as big a population that it has, is a hotbed of unearthed/under-developed talent.
I agree that NYCFC is focusing in the boroughs (cynically, I consider it part of the strategy to get a stadium in the boroughs). I'm just saying that American youth soccer in general is upper middle class suburban so it does make some sense to look to the suburbs at least for the early round of academy players.