Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
A huge stadium shared with an NFL team would be horrific. Watching any Revs game is all you need to know. There's no atmosphere unless you can fill it, unfortunately. Money-wise and moving the project forward, though, it'd be probably more useful than going it alone.

Jets core fanbase is in Queens and Long Island too, right? An NYCFC stadium built to accommodate NFL in Long Island City or on Sunnyside Yards makes too much sense. Available land, super accessible from Manhattan, Long Island, and upstate/CT. Also, Manhattan has MSG, downtown BK has Barclays, downtown Queens needs its entertainment center price (not counting the Mets/tennis at the end of the 7 line.)

The Bronx site was the easier one, the Manhattan ones close to impossible. LIC still seems the middle ground that makes so much sense if they can get over the hurdles. If NYCFC leads, the Jets would be falling over themselves to move to Long Island.

Reactions: adam
Jets core fanbase is in Queens and Long Island too, right? An NYCFC stadium built to accommodate NFL in Long Island City or on Sunnyside Yards makes too much sense. Available land, super accessible from Manhattan, Long Island, and upstate/CT. Also, Manhattan has MSG, downtown BK has Barclays, downtown Queens needs its entertainment center price (not counting the Mets/tennis at the end of the 7 line.)

The Bronx site was the easier one, the Manhattan ones close to impossible. LIC still seems the middle ground that makes so much sense if they can get over the hurdles. If NYCFC leads, the Jets would be falling over themselves to move to Long Island.
I use to work in Astoria and every day I would look at the Yards and say why not. You're not using it. Let us use it. Right off the Triboro, the ed koch the Williamsburg, LIRR, 7, N, F, Q, M, N. Le Sigh.

Reactions: Syed Ashrafulla
Not every team has a Year 2 drop. Orlando is up from 32,847 to 33,335.

Our drop this year is a bit mystifying to me. Our attendance grew as last season went on, even as the novelty wore off and our playoff chances went down the drain. We even drew over 34,000 for our last game against New England when all hope was lost.
I had the same thoughts as you.
Not every team has a Year 2 drop. Orlando is up from 32,847 to 33,335.

Our drop this year is a bit mystifying to me. Our attendance grew as last season went on, even as the novelty wore off and our playoff chances went down the drain. We even drew over 34,000 for our last game against New England when all hope was lost.
I had the same thoughts as you. The only thing I can come up with is attributing to a larger then expected drop in STH renewals. Attendance grew in the latter part of the 2015 season by pushing Founding Memberships till September as well as Single Match tickets when the club had a shot at the playoffs.

I think some STH did not renew for 3 reasons
Club Performance
Lack of SS Stadium timeline
And members thinking they did not need to renew in 2016 to keep Founding Member status.

Single match tickets are probably still strong. Club needs to figure out how to convert that population to STH.

I think sharing a stadium is not such a good idea and would be even worse when sharing it with another sport especially when it's not even necessary. It gives the impression that the league and club are still third rate.

In Europe, a rugby or cricket club would love to share a stadium with a soccer club, not the other way around.

I was speaking to this older Albanian guy during the Euro tournament and we got on the topic of MLS. He said he likes NYCFC but wouldn't go to any games until they've left Yankee Stadium. Lots of people out there mention playing in Yankee Stadium as one of the reasons they won't go.
In my most humblest of opinions, fuck guys like that. Seriously man, you love the game, you love the team, but you won't go to matches because of Yankee Stadium??? Sounds like nothing more than excuse making and if we were to magically have our SSS up and running next year, I bet guys like that would come up with some other chicken shit excuse.

I think a lot of that has to do with circumstances beyond the teams control and otherwise. The novelty/new car smell wearing off and a front loaded home schedule at the start might have been a bad combo.

I've whined about this several times in the past, so one more time ain't gonna hurt. I feel the attendance for both NYRB matches had to be somewhat effected, because of the 25% price gouging for certain tickets. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to boost the tickets for the Galaxy match roughly 40%, but I'll even venture a guess this is going to be a disappointment too.

A huge stadium shared with an NFL team would be horrific. Watching any Revs game is all you need to know. There's no atmosphere unless you can fill it, unfortunately. Money-wise and moving the project forward, though, it'd be probably more useful than going it alone.
I'd rather have an NYCFC-only stadium, but the Sounders seem to do OK sharing with the Seahawks. I acknowledge part of that is unique and due to the the NorthWest soccer fandom boom, but also part is that they built the stadium for both from the start. Even though (I think) the Revs were original tenants, Gillette was built for the Patriots with soccer an afterthought. If pairing with the Jets helps get this done, and if designed properly, I can live with it.

I'd rather have an NYCFC-only stadium, but the Sounders seem to do OK sharing with the Seahawks. I acknowledge part of that is unique and due to the the NorthWest soccer fandom boom, but also part is that they built the stadium for both from the start. Even though (I think) the Revs were original tenants, Gillette was built for the Patriots with soccer an afterthought. If pairing with the Jets helps get this done, and if designed properly, I can live with it.

I think that is right. Let's see how Atlanta does sharing with the Falcons. The curtains over the upper deck and the roof will go a long way to creating an intimate atmosphere.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
I think sharing a stadium is not such a good idea and would be even worse when sharing it with another sport especially when it's not even necessary. It gives the impression that the league and club are still third rate.

In Europe, a rugby or cricket club would love to share a stadium with a soccer club, not the other way around.
Tottenham is going to share their stadium with a NFL team. So, I dispute your claim that it makes a team look third rate. Money is money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tenham-hotspur-ink-10year-stadium-partnership

As for Sunnyside Yards, that's like a 20 year project, so right now I'd rather it not be there.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Tottenham is going to share their stadium with a NFL team. So, I dispute your claim that it makes a team look third rate. Money is money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tenham-hotspur-ink-10year-stadium-partnership

As for Sunnyside Yards, that's like a 20 year project, so right now I'd rather it not be there.
It's a matter of opinion anyway. The hotspur deal isn't' quite the same, as they are taking in a foreign sport and trying to make it grow. Not the case with MLS.

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't doubt you'd get more than that but you're not going to fill YS on a weeknight with an early round CCL. Not even close. Hell, we didn't even fill Fordham on a weeknight against Cosmos. Late round against Liga MX, I'm more optimistic
That's because the f.cosmos aren't a draw.

Reactions: Ulrich and Gene
Tottenham isn't sharing their stadium with an NFL team. They're just hosting exhibition games.
To the extent you corrected OP, you're right. They're not sharing with an NFL team. But the games they will host are not exhibitions. They are real NFL league games that count, part of the "NFL International Series."

I agree. I love the CCL. Can you imagine the turnout if we played Club America or ANY Liga MX team. Think about the number of Mexicans in this City. Just take the #7 to Corona during the gold cup. It would be a sellout, bigger than when we play NJ.

Now imagine playing that at Fordham. We need a SSS ASAP.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I remember the Jets went in on the West Side Stadium project (to be located next to Javitts), before they went in 50/50 with the Giants for MetLife Stadium.

Even if we wait for the Jets to opt out, no one (CFG, the Yankees or MLS) will put up with NYCFC playing in Yankees Stadium through 2025. We need a stadium well before that.

We can move in first, the jets join later when they are allowed to opt out.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
My proposal is that the stadium is ready for MLS as soon as possible, but built to NFL standards for the future. You should know exactly what I mean, look at the new White Hart Lane.

Built as a SSS, but with the ability to become an NFL venue, including a turf pitch that can be swapped in for the grass.

And didn't populous work on the WHL project? Hmm...

Reactions: Kjbert
Only issue with the Jets that hasn't been mentioned is they recently (a few years back) moved their training facilities from Hofstra and built a brand new state of the art facility in Florham Park, NJ. Is it possible to still train there and play in NYC; yes. And do most players & staff now live in NJ instead of LI because of the move; yes. Could the Jets see leaving their training facility in NJ as a way to poach some Gints fans while returning to their core fan base of Queens and LI; yes. It's feasible and would make sense for the Jets because they wouldn't have to carry the full burden of paying for stadium construction. Since the Jets and NYCFC are my 2 favorite teams, I'd be in heaven. Let's do it!