Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
35 acres...plenty of room to build a stadium, slap down plenty of affordable housing and finish it with some parkland. And basically it will be an open space to be developed (yes, needs environmental cleanup and basic infrastructure) - but they can develop it however they want.

Re-elect Katz and elect Moya, then announce in December. Get it done.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I just did a google street view tour of the area under consideration.

If ever a place needed redeveloping, its there.

Hopefully something works out.

Reactions: sundance
One thing is for sure - the Mets don't need 3/4 of that lot. I was at the Thurs game (work trip). First pic is about 5 min before the first pitch. Started in a suite, ended up right behind home plate. Stadium was freakin empty. Some people had entire sections to themselves.

upload_2017-9-9_9-58-30.png

upload_2017-9-9_9-58-2.png

upload_2017-9-9_9-58-16.png

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
One thing is for sure - the Mets don't need 3/4 of that lot. I was at the Thurs game (work trip). First pic is about 5 min before the first pitch. Started in a suite, ended up right behind home plate. Stadium was freakin empty. Some people had entire sections to themselves.

View attachment 7461

View attachment 7459

View attachment 7460

True, Citi Field does have much more parking than it needs in that many people take the 7 or LIRR, but you also have to take into consideration that the Mets' season is pretty much over. Games early to mid season (and late if they're doing well) are typically pretty full.

True, Citi Field does have much more parking than it needs in that many people take the 7 or LIRR, but you also have to take into consideration that the Mets' season is pretty much over. Games early to mid season (and late if they're doing well) are typically pretty full.
Agreed. And the thing with the Mets is that they're actually an amazingly good team with a killer pitching staff. They've been pretty much decimated by injury this season of course so they're completely out of contention, but next year once healed they should once again be considered dangerous. And with that comes full parking lots, of course.

I haven't seen any blueprints but I'd be very surprised if anything built on the site it on stilts to preserve the parking underneath, and with maybe some extra layers added in for additional parking, in fact.

OK, granted it's coming to end of the season, it's during the week and the Mets have been out of it for sometime, but is that lack of attendance something to be concerned about OR do MLB clubs not rely on gate receipts as much in this day and age of TV / broadcast deals?

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
OK, granted it's coming to end of the season, it's during the week and the Mets have been out of it for sometime, but is that lack of attendance something to be concerned about OR do MLB clubs not rely on gate receipts as much in this day and age of TV / broadcast deals?

TV money would pay most of the bills id imagine.

I guess if the mets, or any other sports teams, have sold season tickets, they already have the seat revenue without anyone actually needing to show up.

Reactions: Ulrich
TV money would pay most of the bills id imagine.

I guess if the mets, or any other sports teams, have sold season tickets, they already have the seat revenue without anyone actually needing to show up.

Parking and concessions?

I assume any announcement would come after elections in November. No need to introduce any lightning rod projects during the home stretch of a campaign.

The most aggressive timeline would be something like an announcement in December, government approvals in 2018, construction 2019-2020/21, opening in 2021/22? Building in some delays, setting the over/under at the 2023 season?

Could be realistic the 2021 date?

Reactions: Ulrich
After 72 games the Mets have had an attendance of 2,238,511 so far. That's ranked 13th out of 30 teams. I'm sure more people at these last few games would be better but they're doing just fine. Especially considering the season we're having.

Source: http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Seems like a pretty blatant sign that we are deep into discussions with Queens politicians.

Does Moya have a good chance of winning?

Well, they seem to have been friends/acquaintances for a while, owing to the fact that Francisco is a huge Barça fan. Victor Oñate, Villa's agent, even gave money to the campaign fairly early on. But the fact that the FO doesn't seem to mind Villa coming out and recording that message for him pre-primary is interesting...

I think at this point the odds are in Moya's favor. The only issue is that, as much of a total scumbag as Hiram Monserrate is, there are still a fair amount of people in the neighborhood who remember him fondly so you can't count him out. If Moya can at least battle Monserrate to a draw in Lefrak City he'll do fine.