Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Cool idea. It would probably give you a fantastic unobstructed view of Empire State and midtown as well.
newtown-creek-manhattan-skyline-bw-M.jpg

I took this shot from Newtown creek much further into Queens/Brooklyn from the bridge at Greenpoint Avenue. So yes it would be an awesome view, but I'd also be shocked if they let anyone build over the creek.

And yes this post is a perfect two-fer for me, in which I showcase my negativity plus one of my photos. Boom!

View attachment 1668

I took this shot from Newtown creek much further into Queens/Brooklyn from the bridge at Greenpoint Avenue. So yes it would be an awesome view, but I'd also be shocked if they let anyone build over the creek.

And yes this post is a perfect two-fer for me, in which I showcase my negativity plus one of my photos. Boom!
You certainly have a gift... showing your artistic eye with that great photo and a gift of negativity... you my friend are a very talented individual and I applaud you.

That area is more dense, of course, than nearer the Pulaski. Just east of the bridge (foreground along the water in picture below) is low-rise (=low sf) warehouse space combined with open outdoor space (used for FreshDirect trucks). Borden ave.png

Reactions: mgarbowski
One big issue with building over the creek is that the location you are suggesting is very close to where the creek lets out to the East River. If you do build over the creek you have to do so in a way that would not limit navigability, because dozens of businesses along the creek use it regularly.

View attachment 1668

Damn, very impressive sir!

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think acquiring the land on the northside of the creek would be more viable than building over the creek, but then, I'm not an architect or a structural engineer. Still, the poster who mentioned it gets credit for thinking out of the box!

If it did happen, the engineering costs would be significant, but if it spanned the entire creek, it would have the distinction of being in two boroughs. The BQS near the BQE.

I think acquiring the land on the northside of the creek would be more viable than building over the creek, but then, I'm not an architect or a structural engineer. Still, the poster who mentioned it gets credit for thinking out of the box!

If it did happen, the engineering costs would be significant, but if it spanned the entire creek, it would have the distinction of being in two boroughs. The BQS near the BQE.

Queens side would be the only possibility I believe. The land in Greenpoint was recently rezoned and is becoming condo's like Williamsburg. If you google "Greenpoint Landing" there is a bunch of info on it, it's a pretty big bummer. I realize this is farther west than the picture above though. Would be hyped to have the stadium in LIC as its a short walk over the Pulaski bridge for me.

I hate to even suggest it but we are overlooking a huge possibility. Staten Island is technically part of ny, and there is a lot of open or at least open able space right off the ferry, with infrastructure in place because of the minor league yankees there. If the big club has space maybe we get some right there off the ferry landing. Otherwise im sure on game day especially the city would run busses to the stadium if it was just outside of comfortable walking distance, it's a huge boom to the locals so it works all around. Otherwise flushing meadows but everyone gets yelled at for mentioning that. Lol.

I hate to even suggest it but we are overlooking a huge possibility. Staten Island is technically part of ny, and there is a lot of open or at least open able space right off the ferry, with infrastructure in place because of the minor league yankees there. If the big club has space maybe we get some right there off the ferry landing. Otherwise im sure on game day especially the city would run busses to the stadium if it was just outside of comfortable walking distance, it's a huge boom to the locals so it works all around. Otherwise flushing meadows but everyone gets yelled at for mentioning that. Lol.

I thought they were building an outlet mall and a giant ferris wheel on the land around SI Yankees stadium?

I thought they were building an outlet mall and a giant ferris wheel on the land around SI Yankees stadium?
No idea. Was looking at Google satellite to see where there was space. South but still along the water was best but the place is huge and fairly empty. If they can work out transportation with the city that would be an easy one. Lots of food and bars and stuff already

Last edited:
No idea. Was looking at Google satellite to see where there was space. South but still along the water was best but the place is huge and fairly empty. If they can work out transportation with the city that would be an easy one. Lots of food and bars and stuff already

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/giant-ferris-wheel-planned-for-staten-island-to-boost-tourism/

"A thrill ride themed on the New York City subway is planned for the Staten Island waterfront near where a giant Ferris wheel will be built."

"Marin said the thrill ride will “simulate a ride in a subway car” <-- why do we need this in NYC?

"Other attractions at the Staten Island complex will include a 190-room hotel and a retail outlet mall anchored by Nordstrom Rack."

Reactions: Kjbert

The travel time from Grand Central Terminal to the Staten Island Yankees stadium is 1 full hour. So then you want 20,000 people to get on buses to a soccer stadium? SI Yankee average attendance is less than 4,000.

you guys are giving me heart palpitations with all this talk of putting a stadium in LIC/Newtown Creek/Sunnyside Yards.
There is no where near enough space to build a stadium over Sunnyside Yards. Nor is the existing infrastructure going to be able to handle the traffic (in all its forms) of a stadium. The 7 train can't even handle two drops of rain these days. The only reason it can handle Mets and tennis traffic is because after the games they run special express trains from Willets Point to Grand Central non-stop. Plus more people drive in to flushing than would to an LIC stadium. I don't remember exactly the story with the Stadium Bloomie had been proposing in that area, I know it somehow got shot down in connection to the development that was eminent domain-ing the mechanicos out of Willets Point (they're still there, place looks the same as ever to my untrained eyes) but I still think somewhere out there is the best location. I don't know the geography of the Bronx or Brooklyn well enough to think up alternatives around there, but in Queens I can't imagine a Stadium like in Ditmars or something. Does the tennis really need two stadiums? Can we maybe turn one of them into a proper football stadium and just let the tennis borrow it? That way the infrastructure is already there, construction would take up less time. And no one likes tennis anyway. ;)

And yea, I do have a case of the NIMBYs.

you guys are giving me heart palpitations with all this talk of putting a stadium in LIC/Newtown Creek/Sunnyside Yards.
There is no where near enough space to build a stadium over Sunnyside Yards. Nor is the existing infrastructure going to be able to handle the traffic (in all its forms) of a stadium. The 7 train can't even handle two drops of rain these days. The only reason it can handle Mets and tennis traffic is because after the games they run special express trains from Willets Point to Grand Central non-stop. Plus more people drive in to flushing than would to an LIC stadium. I don't remember exactly the story with the Stadium Bloomie had been proposing in that area, I know it somehow got shot down in connection to the development that was eminent domain-ing the mechanicos out of Willets Point (they're still there, place looks the same as ever to my untrained eyes) but I still think somewhere out there is the best location. I don't know the geography of the Bronx or Brooklyn well enough to think up alternatives around there, but in Queens I can't imagine a Stadium like in Ditmars or something. Does the tennis really need two stadiums? Can we maybe turn one of them into a proper football stadium and just let the tennis borrow it? That way the infrastructure is already there, construction would take up less time. And no one likes tennis anyway. ;)

And yea, I do have a case of the NIMBYs.
the further you get into queens, the more of a bad idea it is

1) less transport. no subways (yes theres LIRR, but no)

2)less people. the further you get into queens, the bigger the homes are. the bigger the homes are, the less people can live there.

3)bad postgame atmosphere. theres nothing to do. go to mcdonalds or whitecastle? go to one of 2 bars (which werent built to sustain large crowds)

4) the people dont watch soccer/ the demo is bad. i find that the firther you go into queens, the more of a conservative vibe is felt versus brooklyn,manhattan or bronx. the people just dont like soccer. they bash peolple who do. i get bashed for watching soccer sometimes.

5) it doesnt feel like "City". why represent New York City with a backdrop of aqueduct or citifield?

6)it will exclude people coming from westchester and conneticut. they arent gonna go through queens that often, lets face it.

7) there will be more supervision there for the more families attending. this is VERY bad