#StartEirik

When I first heard it I kind of laughed and thought "he's reading the forums"

Also, how the hell do you not know if you're going to give your player a chance? I guess he's analyzing the situation day by day just like Lampard.

I don't think he reads the forums. There's probably a staffer or intern at the club that gives him a daily report of the most talked about posts.

And on the point of Lampard. Most of us agree that Mix is more talented than Lopez but Vieira puts Lopez in the match because he gives more effort in practice. If we're going with the 4-3-3 and Pirlo and Bravo are consistent in that lineup. Lampard has to work harder than Mix and Lopez to start which I think is impossible for him to do, unless CFG gives a call saying play Lamps. In which case our midfield goes to shit.

I don't think he reads the forums. There's probably a staffer or intern at the club that gives him a daily report of the most talked about posts.

And on the point of Lampard. Most of us agree that Mix is more talented than Lopez but Vieira puts Lopez in the match because he gives more effort in practice. If we're going with the 4-3-3 and Pirlo and Bravo are consistent in that lineup. Lampard has to work harder than Mix and Lopez to start which I think is impossible for him to do, unless CFG gives a call saying play Lamps. In which case our midfield goes to shit.

The thing is, goalkeepers are the only players on the pitch who don't need rotating, anyway. They're the ones who get to sit there and don't have to run 5 miles every match. When you see teams playing a game every 3 days then unless some of them are cup games where they are playing the second string, they don't tend to change the GK even if everyone else does get some rest.

It sounds to me more like Vieira is either trying to be evasive, or he's being indecisive.

I'm reserving judgment on what Lampard can bring if he actually gets on the field. We played very good matches last year against Toronto and San Jose when Jacobson sat as a d-mid and had Pirlo and Lampard in front of him. And, Bravo is far better than AJ in that role. Plus, I think Lampard's strengths are in areas where we are lacking -- finishing from the MF and the ability to connect passes in the center of the pitch (which wasn't working well even when Mix was playing in lieu of Lopez).

If he can actually get on the field soon and play meaningful minutes at full fitness (not the poor efforts we got when he first came back last year), I think we are better team for it.

My problem with the situation with him is that I'm dubious as to whether that ever actually happens and for so long as he isn't there the opportunity cost of having one of our DP slots tied up in him is immense.

Overall, the situation with him has been a disaster to be sure but, assuming that him retiring and us getting a new DP in July isn't realistic, I'm very much rooting for him to get out there.

Disagree. Over his career, Lampard has shown incredible work rate. Yes, he wasn't the defensive player that Gerrard was, but he will press, he will track back and he will defend. I actually think he slots in nicely as the CAM in this new formation.

People forget, there's also a mental side to this, and the player you can least afford to be shattered mentally is the keeper. Benching Saunders for performance basically ruins him for a little while until he can get his confidence back up.

Reactions: Paul
The thing is, goalkeepers are the only players on the pitch who don't need rotating, anyway. They're the ones who get to sit there and don't have to run 5 miles every match. When you see teams playing a game every 3 days then unless some of them are cup games where they are playing the second string, they don't tend to change the GK even if everyone else does get some rest.

It sounds to me more like Vieira is either trying to be evasive, or he's being indecisive.
Third option, maybe he's not being completely evasive, but giving himself an "out" if he starts Johansen for one of the matches. Gives himself more wiggle room for him starting Eirik and creating a goalkeeping controversy.

#mobilepost

Third option, maybe he's not being completely evasive, but giving himself an "out" if he starts Johansen for one of the matches. Gives himself more wiggle room for him starting Eirik and creating a goalkeeping controversy.

#mobilepost
Fourth Option: Food poisoning from the Gas Station Sushi & Raw Bar.

Trying to convince a friend with a Media Allstar ballet to vote for Josh Saunders since Vieira is so confident in him.

Should make Lampard the two time MLS All Star.
Oh I'm also trying to get him to vote Lampard the Comeback Player of the Year.... The irony would be so sweet!

A 25 year old back up since 2011 who never really got more than a one off chance to start now leads the league in save percentage after 4 games in net.

Jake Gleeson has been a stud for Portland after their GK Kwarasey went down.

But backups are obviously backups for a reason and there's no chance they could be an improvement over the starter right? o_O
I haven't seen a lot of video on this guy but could just be a repeat of the Saunders effect.

Lots of goals conceded. Lots of shots stopped. Portland's defense must be a sieve right now.

Just a thought but does anyone know how many yellows Saunders has now (he's not listed in any of the stats pages I could find)? He got another one at Portland, and I can't imagine he won't get enough to get a one-game suspension at least once this season.