The Mess At Gate 6

I have seats in the Legends suite. There was like a 8-10 minute wait even though there was only like 7 people ahead of me. Metal detector and metal wand scanning and handbag checks for all the ladies.

I've seen a couple mentions of the march (I saw the NE one, but didn't see the NYCFC one for whatever reason, probably just weird timing)... perhaps it would make more sense for the march to the stadium to pass by all of the main, more crowded gates (ensuring everyone sees them) and then continue on to one of the less crowded gates? That way they don't contribute to the crowds and they get to pass by everyone, leading to maximum visibility? Just a random thought going forward

I've seen a couple mentions of the march (I saw the NE one, but didn't see the NYCFC one for whatever reason, probably just weird timing)... perhaps it would make more sense for the march to the stadium to pass by all of the main, more crowded gates (ensuring everyone sees them) and then continue on to one of the less crowded gates? That way they don't contribute to the crowds and they get to pass by everyone, leading to maximum visibility? Just a random thought going forward
The main reason the front gate was so backed up is that's where he March came up. Right up those stairs from the street. Went past the baseball field across the street then up the stairs. A lot of members stopped and went into that front gate instead of going around to the supporters seating. Just a minor hicup which in sure they'll address over the next two weeks to ensure all supporter section members go to the appropriate gate.

The main reason the front gate was so backed up is that's where he March came up. Right up those stairs from the street. Went past the baseball field across the street then up the stairs. A lot of members stopped and went into that front gate instead of going around to the supporters seating. Just a minor hicup which in sure they'll address over the next two weeks to ensure all supporter section members go to the appropriate gate.

Also they should have separate lines for people with bags, packs and purses and those without. I took all 4 of our phones (4 people) and put them in the 1 basket with my keys and change from my pockets to speed it up. Guy working the baskets says "thats only going to make it take more time" I didn't say anything as engaging him would have taken more time

Also they should have separate lines for people with bags, packs and purses and those without. I took all 4 of our phones (4 people) and put them in the 1 basket with my keys and change from my pockets to speed it up. Guy working the baskets says "thats only going to make it take more time" I didn't say anything as engaging him would have taken more time
What was the problem. Putting multiple phones and other personal effects in one basket?

I think the coins but I didn't have time. they also need to get a airline ticketing system set-up so people don't have to push to stay together

It may not be possible at this point, but it would make sense if everyone's ticket had a suggested (if not mandatory) gate entrance. I kept walking around the stadium until there was a gate with no line (even though Gate 6 is by far the most logical entry for where my seats are), so it wasn't too bad, but people missing kickoff because of security bottlenecks, that's unacceptable.

Reactions: northernburbs
T
It may not be possible at this point, but it would make sense if everyone's ticket had a suggested (if not mandatory) gate entrance. I kept walking around the stadium until there was a gate with no line (even though Gate 6 is by far the most logical entry for where my seats are), so it wasn't too bad, but people missing kickoff because of security bottlenecks, that's unacceptable.
This is a very good point. I have been to other concerts and sporting events where the tickets listed a gate number, and would be an easy way to spread out the crowd and cut down on the wait time at the busier gates.

Preach! I totally understand they were unprepared I just hope they'll get it right or at least better the next 16 games

Re congestion at half-time, I think they will be able to make changes that will benefit the stadium's "soccer configuration." For instance, removing some of the portable concessions at the 100 and 200 level to create more space and opening up concessions on the 300 level to support all fans.

Last edited:
Has there been any official acknowledgement of the problems at the gates or concession stands? We can all talk about the problems, but is YS addressing it?

The
Has there been any official acknowledgement of the problems at the gates or concession stands? We can all talk about the problems, but is YS addressing it?

I got a call from a NYCFC ticketing person today to ask how the gameday experience was (I guess he got my number from Ticketmaster?) and he said he had heard about a lot of the issues and I, as nicely as possible, explained my specific issues outside getting in and mentioned that I've heard people had issues with the concessions at half time, etc... he politely thanked me for the details. He said he was calling around to gather info for a meeting this afternoon for them to be like an After-Action and discuss the gameday issues... so I think it's on their radar at least. What they'll do about it? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also made it clear to him that I know the metal detectors are out of their control and the crowd was bigger than it will be for future matches... but that the Yankees will want to work with them to figure this out because if they don't figure things out prior to their Opening Day and that shitshow happens then... the Post and Daily News will rip the Yankees a new one (and on the front front, not the Sports front, lol).

Though, what do I anticipate happening? NYCFC will serve as a guinea pig for the Yankees to work out some of their gate issues with the new metal detectors so their opening day will still be messy, but nothing too outlandish... but the Mets won't have had the experience so after the Mets first home game we'll be seeing the tabloids rip them to shreds for inefficiency as the Jackie Robinson Rotunda entrance at Citi Field sees its line backed up to the 7 train platform/turnstiles, lol.

NYCFC just sent out an email with a survey about yesterday's experience. Seems like they're addressing the issues.

Reactions: hatt91