Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Mattarita

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Pirlo

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
And did anyone mention us getting a keeper out of it? I love Poku, but it looks like he hasn't earned a place. He's too valuable to sit on the bench or not dress, so let's get something out of it.

Unlike last year, I think we all can understand that it may very well be a reasonable decision given what we have.

I think this team is a goalkeeper and healthy defenders away from being decent. We're a Lampard-out and a good replacement DP signing away from being contenders.

One of the ones in delta, it was coming down from the executive level, no breaking news unfortunately, he didn't appear to be injured or anything though.

as far as a keeper i'd say give Johansen should get a chance to start, lets see what he can do. Can't be worse can he?

agree with the rest as well.

In accord with the consensus: we were much better at first, then not so much, we should have won, we look much better than last year, etc.

• Mendoza is damn quick, and a baller.
  • Saunders is not.
  • Agree the most logical reason Mendoza subbed for Taylor instead of Shelton might be TT's fitness after a year off.
  • Shelton looked like Mr. No-Touch again.
  • Now that I'm sitting on the other side it's weird to come home and watch the whole game in reverse angle.
  • Deadspin took a pair of tweets of mine about Gate 4 not letting anyone in for 8-10 minutes and -- being a Gawker publication -- wrote up a completely inaccurate rendering of the situation.
  • Batters Eye is great but needs cup holders.

Two more notes:
  • When we got home my 11-year old daughter, after eating a whole burger and half an order of bacon cheese fries, explained to her mom that she was hungry because our new seats are great but there were no cup holders, so it was more work to drink her lemonade.
  • Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan was a gentleman who bit off a few curses I could tell in the presence of my 11-year old, and has my permission to let 1 or 2 fly every now and then, just not too much.;)

Last edited:
Not sure there's much to add. Got home about an hour ago took a snack, watched Shameless, and I think you guys have most of it covered.

_ Definitely look better than last year. Weak links are Saunders and Defensive lapses

_ Very Impressed with Villa and Pirlo. Also good stuff from Matarrita and Mix.

_ Single out Mendoza for praise. He harried and pressed when we didn't have the ball and looked like lighting when we did. Short sample but I think essentially trading Jacobsen for him already looks like a good move

- Any thoughts on Bravo's yellow? I thought he was fouled when we lost possession just before than someone else made a slightly clumsy slide tackle didn't win the ball but no foul called than they call foul and give him yellow. Typical MLS ref where he seems to let a bunch of stuff go and then randomly call something a foul and card.

We sit in 214A and had a great view of Mattarita's play in the first half....... :):):) I thought he was fantastic!! Not ashamed to say I have a budding bromance!! HAHA

As much as I thought I would never pick up the new away jersey, he has me reconsidering picking up his .....:rolleyes:

Having watched the condensed game just now, I feel a little bit better about our midfield system. I'd actually be interested to see Mix come in and take Bravo's place next to Pirlo and see another attacking midfield option (e.g. Lampard, Poku) come in and play beside Tommy Mac. If Mendoza is ready to take Shelton's place up front against Orlando, I think this gives us defensive stability, opens up central midfield slots where we have an embarrassment of riches and will allow us to play Taylor down the right so we have a little more width too.

Two more notes:
  • When we got home my 11-year old daughter, after eating a whole burger and half an order of bacon cheese fries, explained to her mom that she was hungry because our new seats are great but there were no cup holders, so it was more work to drink her lemonade.
  • Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan was a gentleman who bit off a few curses I could tell in the presence of my 11-year old, and has my permission to let 1 or 2 fly every now and then, just not too much.;)
More than a few. More than a few.

Not sure there's much to add. Got home about an hour ago took a snack, watched Shameless, and I think you guys have most of it covered.

_ Definitely look better than last year. Weak links are Saunders and Defensive lapses

_ Very Impressed with Villa and Pirlo. Also good stuff from Matarrita and Mix.

_ Single out Mendoza for praise. He harried and pressed when we didn't have the ball and looked like lighting when we did. Short sample but I think essentially trading Jacobsen for him already looks like a good move

- Any thoughts on Bravo's yellow? I thought he was fouled when we lost possession just before than someone else made a slightly clumsy slide tackle didn't win the ball but no foul called than they call foul and give him yellow. Typical MLS ref where he seems to let a bunch of stuff go and then randomly call something a foul and card.
Bravo deserved the yellow. 20 minutes into the game I said in the Shoutbox that he's getting a yellow today. The ball was given away and I believe Hernandez made a tackle which was fair then he went in and caught the player. Deserved.

Echoing what others have said here:

• The entire ticketing system went down for about 10 minutes and they were not letting anyone in - I was right in front of the metal detector when it happened. Security had no clue and the ticketing guys weren't helping. Made me have to sprint to get to my seat for kickoff.
  • Matarrita is a boss. Tactical awareness is on point and he's got some great ball skills. For first time seeing him live was very impressed.
  • Brilliant seemed strong in the air, but I think he caused the first goal by blowing the offside trap. Everyone was really confused.
  • I wonder if Pirlo has read all the press and MLS pundit snickering about how he can't defend. He was all over the field today tackling in addition to his silky skills.
  • Pirlo does 2-3 things a game that just make you stand up and applaud. I remember the ball over the top to Villa and another instance where he took two quick touches to dribble away from two guys.
  • Good debut for Mendoza, must have high hopes for him if he starts literally off the street. Can fly and seems technically sound.
  • Great midfield work in the first half which covered for only having 3 at the back. But see Matarrita entry above, he locked down his side.
  • Holy hell Saunders had a howler. You have to cover your eyes every time he passes the ball and how many times did he kick it out of bounds? Four? Also could have done better on giovinco's goal. Enough. And to think some people think he would start in front of Iker Casillas. Come on.
  • Good first game for Bravo, but a few too many tactical fouls.
Overall team seemed more tactically sound (the wife said they played better in the first half than any game last season) and really dominated the first half. Toronto adjusted and the second half was not as open and atomic ant was atomic ant. You have to applaud that turn and finish on the second goal.

Lots to build on here, reason for optimism.

MOTM was the guy who pegged the Toronto player with the ball after it going out of play. When they let him back in I think he got more of a crowd response than either of our goals, lol.

What was the game time on that incident?

The reason Pirlo looked decent defensively was because the field is tiny and he has less ground to cover.

Reactions: Tony L
Subbing McNamara with Lopez it's a clear sign Poku is not wanted in the team. Sad.
I asked him at the City Send-Off "when are we seeing you back Poku?" He responded with an Ehh attitude "not my call buddy". He did not look like the Poku from last year.
SavedImage_20160313_195749_20.jpg

We look so sloppy sometimes. Then Mendozza, Villa or Pirlo do things that make you go "WOW".

This is a match we should have won 3-2.

.[/QUOTE]

That was my prediction and I am pissing mad. This was winnable game. The team needs to keep focus on holding the victory to the last second until the ref blows that whistle. Last season we lost many games that WE were winning on those last 2 -3 minutes. WE the fans are crowing victory and as soon as we start rising from our seats for halftime break and , wham- bam our rival is winning or has tied the game. Its not for lack of energy or words but I am a lady, can not curse like a sailor

Reactions: BxLio91
Subbing McNamara with Lopez it's a clear sign Poku is not wanted in the team. Sad.
I asked him at the City Send-Off "when are we seeing you back Poku?" He responded with an Ehh attitude "not my call buddy". He did not look like the Poku from last year.
View attachment 4392

I think it's a sign Vieira knew the flow of the game was going against us and he put in a defensive midfielder rather than an attacking one. Ballouchy in the 18 instead of Poku is the troubling thought.

I'm watching the game over again and the highlights and the single biggest moment was that Khiry should have scored that goal off the Irwin save from Mix's header. Big mistake.

Reactions: SayWhat44