Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Mattarita

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Pirlo

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Other thoughts from last night (a lot of these have probably already been stated)
  • Love the formation, and the fact that PV is showing that he will adapt. He saw how our defense was getting torched last week, brought in a new formation to change it up. One of my biggest disappointments with JK last year was he really did not attempt to change tactically, except once during the middle of the year going from the 4-4-2 to the 4-2-3-1. PV looks like he'll continue to adapt as he really figures this team out.
  • As I stated above, Mix played another fantastic game. He's finally back in his more natural position and is starting to flourish. All the Mix haters can suck it. There seems to be a ton of them in the national media.
  • Brillant looked a lot more composed. I see on here he is continuing to get some hate for the last goal, but I think that was a lot more Giovinco being really talented, and then Saunders not making the save which I think he should have.
Those thoughts were from a drunken me in section 237 last night. Gonna rewatch the game after work tonight and see if they hold up, and what else comes up, haha.

The greatest (and unexpected) revelation from the game is that Matarrita actually is a lock-down defender. His offensive prowess is gravy. I was shocked when he bossed Gio on a couple of occasions. Matarrita's D will be even more of a game-changer for us than his forward push. So far, it looks like a terrific acquisition. Mataritta v. Angelino = apples to oranges.

• Big time fail for Yankee Stadium - second home opener in a row. The lines to get in are simply unacceptable - as is the lack of communication. Incompetence and understaffing in concessions - the same. There was only one person manning the beer table by my section, rather than the usual two, and long lines resulted. For food, I and the two kids with me left our seats in the 39th minute and lined up in the 43rd, about 6-8 people back. We stood in line for 25 minutes before being served. We sat back down in about the 53rd/54th minute. The person running the line was clearly new and had zero idea what she was doing and got no support. It was taking 3-5 minutes to serve each person. Then, halfway through, they shut the register down for 5 minutes to change out the money. Why you do that during the halftime rush, I have no idea. When we get our own stadium, I hope CFG tells the Yankees to take Legends Hospitality and shove it up their Pinstriped Fucking Asses.

I agree.

I showed up to the gate and they told us "no paper tickets here," then I go to the next gate and they tell me to go back to the first gate. I went back, and a different guy said "yes, paper tickets here."

The cashiers for the food lines were out of their minds, seemed like they didn't know what was going on.

Right at halftime there was no one standing by the exit door for the bathrooms behind 205/206. People started streaming into the exit door and no one on line for the entrance was getting in. There must have been 200 people in that bathroom before someone decided to stand by the exit and continue staring at his cell phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
i wanted to get there early, didn't pan out that way. Got there at 4:50, and saw those ridiculous lines and was well im screwed. Crazy thing was people were getting in queue behind these massive lines, when all they had to do was walk a bit to the last entrance and it would have been much shorter. Unfortunately when i got to the front of my (shorter) line the reader went down, they close the gate and i had to merge into the larger lines ticket reader. That cost me some time but i managed to get in around the 7th minute. (kickoff being 10 minutes after the advertised time as usual).

Once i got into my seats, i felt like i was in the daycare section. the number of young kids at the game, its was a totally weird vibe. On top of it i had a cold/laryngitis so couldn't yell or do anything. And I was handcuffed by all the kids from using any adult language in my conversations with a friend who came with me. overall it was a very odd vibe, and it put me off from what was going on in the game. Hopefully its better going forward.

I was pretty out of it, but what stood out to me clearly, mendoza's speed. Wow! Made everyone else look like they were standing still. This guy is going to push the defenses deeper and really open the game up in the middle for us. No one can play an offside trap if we dink it over them and he runs onto it. He'll just torch the CBs or pull FBs out of position. I can't see how he isnt nailed on as a starter for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Dreaming_NYC
we were so much better than last week and if we play like that all season we will be in great shape

still need to work on the offside line(the first goal was Brilliants fault as everyone else moved up and if he had all of the toronto players would have been offside) but still a massive improvement from week 1 in that regard. this will come in time though and its typical of a defence that has barely played with each other.

obviously disapointed as it feels like 2 points lost but i try to look at it as a point won against one of the best teams in the mls imo. we outplayed them, created more chances and should have won the game so that bodes well for the season.

Thought all the defence was solid, gio is the best player in the league and for the majority of the game he made very little impact but all he needs is that 1 chance sadly. Mata in particular was incredible, the amount of times he won the ball back and also playing in an unfamiliar position was very impressive.

if we play like this all season we should have no problem making the playoffs

Matarrita is spectacular and I'll continue to watch him with high expectations. Pirlo had a great defensive showing. I knew that Bravo might need some time to adjust to the team, but he is not disappointing. Working with Pirlo will continue to strengthen our midfield. Villa and Mix had a great showing. Shelton has always had potential, but will he ever reach it? He made some poor decisions and had lead feet. TT will continue to progress as longs as he stays healthy, and I think he's going to do great things.

I was also at the Send off at the end of the match. I think every fan there asked Poku about his status. He smiled and shrugged his head, but kept his head down mostly. Frank came out and signed autographs, and said he would probably be out another two weeks. TT was a big hit, especially with the kids. I swear he took pictures with every single kid there and even went on instagram and shouted out to a few of them. He truly is a stand up guy. All the guys that came out were great with Autographs and the pictures.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
Let it be a reminder: Get to the game earlier. I don't know about you guys, but I'd have a hard time living with myself if I missed kickoff. Always get there an hour beforehand and relax.

I was a little disappointed that they switched the warmup halves for the team. Seems like you'd want the away side to get heckled by the SGs before kickoff -- but I assume this is due to the swapping of the benches. And again, you have to put the away side as close to the drunk SGs as possible; it can only help.

The guy that pegged a TFC player with the ball would probably be found "not guilty" in a court of law. Happening right in front of me, he threw the ball over towards the corner flag from about 20-25 yards away, since there was a corner in that end. To be able to precisely hit someone from that distance would be difficult and I only assume that the police dragged him out of his seat so he could sign on as a 5th starter for the Yankees. It was probably dumb, but he didn't mean to hit the player it looked like, but it was good to see the fans stand up for him.

I wonder if we're going to do the 3-4-3 at home and 4-3-3 on the road. The narrow field really allows us to put numbers forward and Bravo looks to be significantly better able to hold than AJ was last year, and can play square to Pirlo when he needs him. We missed that when AJ would run ahead of Pirlo and get him in trouble, causing turnovers and breakaways.

I'm glad we've got PV at the helm. One reason is that he's going to have to talk to Frank about how he fits in with the team, and I'm having a hard time seeing where that'll be. Maybe PV can get through to him better than JK could've, but it's a necessary conversation and one they may need to have soon.

Great atmosphere, great TIFO, and I was happy to see my beer ladies back at the same stand remember me. At least this team might allow us to drink less to cope, but more to celebrate.

I agree with everyone's points about the formation. I TV watched the 1st half and we completely controlled the game. We can agree that conceding on a set piece before the half whistle was devastating. I do agree White should have started. He just looks better than Hernandez. I would like to see a more attacking formation Friday because Orlando's midfield isn't up to snuff.

Anyone else have that hard-to-describe, euphoric "I am back in my happy place" feeling when entering the stadium yesterday? Oh, the feels.

We need to do better at converting on goal scoring opportunities. Khiry and Mikey missed clear goals. Mendoza had a decent chance in the final stages of the game.

Our last game of the season should be our best game.

Reactions: JayH
By the way, this is just awesome. Love NYCFC honoring NYPD and FDNY.
rnyEEPe.jpg
Does anyone know where to get the FDNY scarves??? Regret never buying it in the beginning of last season. They're nowhere to be found

Let it be a reminder: Get to the game earlier. I don't know about you guys, but I'd have a hard time living with myself if I missed kickoff. Always get there an hour beforehand and relax.

I was a little disappointed that they switched the warmup halves for the team. Seems like you'd want the away side to get heckled by the SGs before kickoff -- but I assume this is due to the swapping of the benches. And again, you have to put the away side as close to the drunk SGs as possible; it can only help.

The guy that pegged a TFC player with the ball would probably be found "not guilty" in a court of law. Happening right in front of me, he threw the ball over towards the corner flag from about 20-25 yards away, since there was a corner in that end. To be able to precisely hit someone from that distance would be difficult and I only assume that the police dragged him out of his seat so he could sign on as a 5th starter for the Yankees. It was probably dumb, but he didn't mean to hit the player it looked like, but it was good to see the fans stand up for him.

I wonder if we're going to do the 3-4-3 at home and 4-3-3 on the road. The narrow field really allows us to put numbers forward and Bravo looks to be significantly better able to hold than AJ was last year, and can play square to Pirlo when he needs him. We missed that when AJ would run ahead of Pirlo and get him in trouble, causing turnovers and breakaways.

I'm glad we've got PV at the helm. One reason is that he's going to have to talk to Frank about how he fits in with the team, and I'm having a hard time seeing where that'll be. Maybe PV can get through to him better than JK could've, but it's a necessary conversation and one they may need to have soon.

Great atmosphere, great TIFO, and I was happy to see my beer ladies back at the same stand remember me. At least this team might allow us to drink less to cope, but more to celebrate.

I was in section 213 right above the kid getting thrown out, there was quite a few of the fan service rep guys there pleading with the cops and security to not throw them out

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
Here's a little item that definitely falls under the "I'm too easily entertained" banner.

I was just watching highlights of the match and I love the way the fans in the stadium have picked up on the: "The New York City FC goal scored by number seven, David.......VILLA!" Sounds really good on the tube.

How about that interception where Mix stretched out and got his toe up in the air at full leg extension to bring the ball down, and then launch an attack that very nearly led to a goal? That was a hot shit moment.
No matter how good or bad Mix plays (and for the record I think he played really well yesterday) he always seems to have at least one spectacularly athletic moment where I find myself thinking, "How the hell did he just do that?" It's one of the many things I like about Mix.

No matter how good or bad Mix plays (and for the record I think he played really well yesterday) he always seems to have at least one spectacularly athletic moment where I find myself thinking, "How the hell did he just do that?" It's one of the many things I like about Mix.

It's the karate kid in him.