Update Tefu Mashamaite Cb -- Signed W/ Another Club

There is a lot about this in the Tefu M. thread. Seems like it is either (1) salary cap, (2) foreign player limits, or (3) spin control by the agent.

If true, it may explain why Gooch is back in training with us.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think what happened was either no other team was willing to trade an international slot or maybe there were offers but we weren't willing to meet the price for it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why would Tefu's agent assist with spin for NYCFC? He flat out blamed the league and had nothing but praise for the club.

Like Gotham mentioned in the post above mine, you never want to burn bridges. I can't personally see it but considering Facey is likely gone in 2016, Watson-Siriboe should never play for NYC again, and John is a huge question mark, they will likely be trying to sign more CBs

The deal appears dead for the moment, but never say never. Especially after our season is done and we start work on the roster for 2016. Plus, I would bet a lot of other MLS teams are now aware of him and thinking about that possibility.
I agree with this completely. They could easily sign him after the season's over once the roster settles down. Plus, who knows what rule changes there'll be. Because MLS.

Reactions: marky365
The deal appears dead for the moment, but never say never. Especially after our season is done and we start work on the roster for 2016. Plus, I would bet a lot of other MLS teams are now aware of him and thinking about that possibility.

This is my exact concern. Can we give him a Lampard pre contract, those seem totally viable in the league.

Last edited:
I am wondering why we don't drop the players we don't play that cost us international spots. I understand they will still be in our cap, but we could free up international spots to sign others instead of aggressively trading for international spots.

Reactions: sbrylski
Reports said we had about 200-300k to spend under the cap. We just bought Mena, who is worth 400k euros/year (according to transfrmarket) or 217k dollars per half year. Plus we sent allocation money to LA gals for an intl spot. So...we have no more cap room and nothing to trade for int'l spots.

We chose Mena instead of Tefu. We'll see if that's the right choice. #BecauseKreis it probably wasn't but we'll see.

This is his agent spinning the news.

Reactions: Gavin23
I am wondering why we don't drop the players we don't play that cost us international spots. I understand they will still be in our cap, but we could free up international spots to sign others instead of aggressively trading for international spots.

I'm hardly an expert on MLS and I guess it might work differently, but it can be hard to drop players if they're not willing to leave. Usually, forcing a player out - if you can even do it at all - is costly, and the only way to do it cheaply is for the player themselves to agree to leave on little or no compensation.

This was blocked by the league. The league can always skirt the rules to advance the state of the league and the clubs. Remember when Chris Paul was a Laker before David Stern stepped in. FUCKING DON GARBER. WHAT, HE GOT TRIED OF SUCKING OUR NEW YORK CITY DICKS?!?!

This was blocked by the league. The league can always skirt the rules to advance the state of the league and the clubs. Remember when Chris Paul was a Laker before David Stern stepped in. FUCKING DON GARBER. WHAT, HE GOT TRIED OF SUCKING OUR NEW YORK CITY DICKS?!?!

Reactions: PVieira21

Dude relax. Garber has nothing to do with it. We needed an International Spot. We didn't have one. The agent is not very bright.

Deleted for being duplicative.

Last edited: