Vancouver Postgame

You're actually kidding right?? If it wasn't for Saunders last season I'm not sure we would have won a game. He keeps it close in every game we play in while our defense is such trash it's hard to watch. He's reflexes are amazing, and he does a fairly good job of positioning as well. Yes, he gave up a stupid, shitty goal this weekend, but he is still by far one of the best keepers in the MLS. That's not even a question. I honestly don't know what games you guys are watching when you hate on Saunders so much.... smh.
Saunders saves last year looked so good because he had so many opportunities from the opponents shooting on him that the law of averages was in his favor to stop some. This year the Defense has limited the number of shots and Saunders has repaid the team by statistically being the worse GK in the league - heading into Vancouver, he was stopping less than 50% of the shots against him - let that sink in for a moment...... we'd be better off flipping a coin than using his save percentage. That's wholly unacceptable at this level of play.

His positioning is also horrible. there are so many times when he forgets where the goal is behind him as he cheats out to the edge of the box - thus the shooter goes far corner for an easy goal. On goal kicks, he sometimes stands at the front post leaving the entire back area open. It's not good.

Saunders saves last year looked so good because he had so many opportunities from the opponents shooting on him that the law of averages was in his favor to stop some. This year the Defense has limited the number of shots and Saunders has repaid the team by statistically being the worse GK in the league - heading into Vancouver, he was stopping less than 50% of the shots against him - let that sink in for a moment...... we'd be better off flipping a coin than using his save percentage. That's wholly unacceptable at this level of play.

His positioning is also horrible. there are so many times when he forgets where the goal is behind him as he cheats out to the edge of the box - thus the shooter goes far corner for an easy goal. On goal kicks, he sometimes stands at the front post leaving the entire back area open. It's not good.
In addition, last year his save percentage was meh at best. Of the Top 20 MLS Keepers ranked by Number of Saves, his percentage was 14th. I always thought the argument that we would be worse without him only made sense if you assumed we played nobody in goal in his place.

That was a nerve wracking game to watch. Went through every emotion during it.

I am sure you all who went to the game suffered a whole mixture of emotions, but at least where Euphoric at the end.

I thought Brilliant and Hernandez did very well I am not a fan of Hernandez, but he has played well in quite a few game this season. Our midfield was okay without being spectacular. Up front Khiry did well, and Villa was excellent. Once again Mendoza was very good when he came on. It was great to see him score and he should have probably scored a second when hitting the bar at the end.

Let's hope we can get a couple more wins to get on a run.

I always thought the argument that we would be worse without him only made sense if you assumed we played nobody in goal in his place.
Well, if we played no goalie, we wouldn't pass the ball back, so....

That was a cheap shot. I am middling on Saunders compared to the board generally, but I couldn't resist after that debacle this weekend.

I do notice in the pre-game and training videos that EJ often lets shots go in and makes no attempt to save it even though there is a chance he could get to them which seems a bit strange as when its Saunders' turn he always makes an attempt at saving it.
EJ is warming up the players who will play, building their confidence. It is his role to allow balls in. Saunders is practicing for being in the game. Thus the starter will (should) always put in more effort than the backup during pre-game shooting drills.

I'm not a PC person by any means but if you want this forum to be 10 pages of attacks for people opinions that's what your gonna get soon enough if its not stopped
You're such a dick.

Kidding. Kidding. :-D

Seriously, I totally agree. Just because someone says something you disagree with or even think is stupid, we should all have enough self-control to not attack the person.

It was cool, and somewhat unexpected, to see how warmly Villa reacted to seeing Jacobsen. It's something I noticed at the end of the game, and also in the behind the scenes video, they have a moment before going on to the field.

I guess we'll be seeing Chris Wingert when RSL plays here in June. Maybe if there's a video of away games we'll see Ned in Portland in two weeks.

You're actually kidding right?? If it wasn't for Saunders last season I'm not sure we would have won a game. He keeps it close in every game we play in while our defense is such trash it's hard to watch. He's reflexes are amazing, and he does a fairly good job of positioning as well. Yes, he gave up a stupid, shitty goal this weekend, but he is still by far one of the best keepers in the MLS. That's not even a question. I honestly don't know what games you guys are watching when you hate on Saunders so much.... smh.
You think his positioning is good? Wow. Have you seen him flapping at crosses and caught in no man's land pretty much every game?

He's a bad keeper. He was out of the game. If we dropped him from the club entirely, name the team that picks him up and makes him a starter.

Watching LA @ KC on DVR right now.

So much more enjoyable to watch these matches played away from the New York City Pinball Machine.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
You think his positioning is good? Wow. Have you seen him flapping at crosses and caught in no man's land pretty much every game?

He's a bad keeper. He was out of the game. If we dropped him from the club entirely, name the team that picks him up and makes him a starter.
We could have had Zach mcmath who is playing very well for Colorado now

Reactions: Ulrich and Tony L
We could have had Zach mcmath who is playing very well for Colorado now

maybe for next year? also what about johnson from Chicago...is he still on the bench ? i always thought he was ok just on a crap team like chiago...dont know why he was benched.

EDIT: Colorado in first place? lol what?

maybe for next year? also what about johnson from Chicago...is he still on the bench ? i always thought he was ok just on a crap team like chiago...dont know why he was benched.

EDIT: Colorado in first place? lol what?

I watched Johnson for two years when I lived in Chicago. He would be a good an upgrade over Saunders but I don't know if he's the best fit. Great shot stopper, very vocal with the defense and accurate with his long kicks. If he has one weakness it's playing the ball out of the back with his feet. With PV wanting to play from the back we would be forcing him into the weaker part of his game while rarely using his long kick ability.

EJ is warming up the players who will play, building their confidence. It is his role to allow balls in. Saunders is practicing for being in the game. Thus the starter will (should) always put in more effort than the backup during pre-game shooting drills.
thats what i thought at first but i had also noticed it in the training videos they post which seemed strange

Puerto Rico FC in the NASL.

Reactions: BxLio91