Vancouver Postgame

I don't like this cheer. It's pathetic, crass and lacks any creativity. The "we're fucking shit" chant actually comes from a tradition, but the real chant is:

We always lose away
We always lose at home
You're nothing special
We lose every week

That's clever. Our supporters could learn to class themselves up a bit. Same with the "Fuck Chicago" (or insert other team) cheers. There are such better options.

Deep Dish Sucks
Poutine Sucks
Etc.

roxfontaine this might be your next project.
I think your expectations for improvement may be slightly unrealistic. I mean, someone posted on here yesterday how awesome it was that everyone in the supporters section got soaked in celebratory beer after one of our goals.

"I may not drink beer every day, my friends, but when I do, it goes in me, not on me."

I think it is consistent. I think he sits high talent, low performance when he perceives low effort. That fits the Pirlo/Mix benchings. The prevailing belief here is Saunders is low talent, low performance, but certainly high effort. That only gets benched if you have an alternative with better talent. Clearly PV doesn't believe he has that.
My issue with that theory is what the hell is the team then doing with two backup keepers that the coach has no faith in? If Lurch was deemed a liability, then why bring in Rawls if he is lower on the depth chart? I would've brought in a guy that I wouldn't be afraid to play - it's like what Men in Blazers tweeted, there's no way Saunders in the 20th best Keeper in a country of 320million. There HAD to be somebody better than Saunders that could have been signed instead of Rawls. Sorry, I just don't buy the notion that the club feels more confident in Saunders because they're afraid of Lurch's limitations because the statistical probability of NYCFC having the three worst keepers in the league is like me correctly choosing the EPL winner three years in a row.

Maybe we pick up MacAlgebra when Timmy arrives? MacTrig has been pretty solid this year.

I think your expectations for improvement may be slightly unrealistic. I mean, someone posted on here yesterday how awesome it was that everyone in the supporters section got soaked in celebratory beer after one of our goals.
Hey, that WAS great!

And FWIW I was also chanting "deep dish sucks" when people were chanting Fuck Chicago.

Not sure if anyone saw this but on TV after the game they showed moments of coaching. Obviously Vierra is a very positive only kind of guy and that's his style of coaching. But what was interesting to me is they showed a clip of him singling out Villa to stay positive and stop having an attitude towards his teammates. So to all those annoyed with Villa pouting, it's not being ignored by the big man

I got the impression that was soon after the Saunders gift goal. So the attitude was probably directed at one particular teammate...

Maybe Villa can convince Casillas to sign for cheap.

PV always talks good about his players to build confidence I wouldn't take much into what he said. He isn't dumb he knows how shit Josh is. I tend to think they don't trust Eriks decision making yet and don't want to ruin his development.

No doubt PV is not the type to bash folks but I think he really means it when he says Josh is this that, speaking so glowingly about him, I think it will be to our detriment. I don't think EJs development is really in consideration, he is not under 20 and has been within the Man City system for a number of years. I really believe PV thinks Saunders is our best GK and frankly that is troublesome considering how poor of a GK he really is.

Regardless, both PV and JK have seen a ton of both keepers and are sticking with Josh. Sometimes the devil you know is safer than the devil you don't know. There's gotta be something about Eirik that's causing him stuck to the bench. If I'm venturing a guess, I think EJ has a hard time getting down for low shots, even though he has good reach. This was evident in last year's shootout vs. the Cosmos. I also wonder if he's having a hard time thinking on his feet with regards to leaving his line. The only example I really have of this is the preseason game where he came out and missed the ball and gave up the late winner vs. Cincy. He might just not be as good as Josh is in many aspects. Thankfully he's young.

Thats all fine and good but why not give EJ a game or two to see how he can do, and what we have in regular season play. Especially considering the form that Saunders is and has been most of his career?

What I don't understand is why aren't we trying to get Sean Johnson from Chicago? Send them Patrick Mullins or someone else but I think Sean Johnson can be our long term solution in net. He would be one of those young keepers that for some reason didn't work out at his first club (like Remando, like Jon Busch when he was younger, like Pat Onstad when he played etc) there are many examples, and when they have that next new team they tend to be a cornerstone for a long time.

A few points after watching the game back at home...

• Our wingers are getting better and better each game.
  • Pushing Pirlo up has really helped with the possession game. Maybe with the dimensions of YS they found his sweet spot.
  • White had a decent game, not better or worse than Iraola or RJ though.
  • I am not convinced on "Yellow-Card Mikey" being a starter yet, but the guy does hustle. Him and Bravo provide the physicality that we lacked last year.
  • Where the hell does Fat Frank fit in with this team now. I don't know where you realistically can play him.
  • As much as I love Mix & Poku, I think they both shine coming off the bench for now, while spot starting.
  • I am going to give Villa the benefit of "mounting pressure" before the first goal. Dude was pouting big time before, to be fair though, he was also pouting his own mistakes too. We need him to be & act like the leader ALL the time.
  • Ref sucked 2nd half.
  • Crowd was silenced after the Saunders screw up, but really were great for a Saturday afternoon game. Loud and boisterous. We need to get some easy full stadium chants going though. Even the N-Y-C one falters after a few.
  • As bad as Saunders is, I don't think Eirik is the answer either, though I'd like to see him start. I think we need to upgrade next year regardless.
  • My seats are right at the right field flag and my kid was calling Techera "Dora the Explorer" on a corner kick and Techera locked eyes with him and started laughing. It was a fun moment.

By the way, lets give credit to Mendoza. He has been improving steadily after his second game where he was really off. The key for him, and the key for our attack moving forward is for him to continue to get the ball on the flanks and have him cut it to the middle. This opens up guys like Mac, Mix, Pirlo etc. His first touch moving forward is so explosive and he passes people by so easily, when they block the flank he has been turning towards the middle and it does wonders for us. I just wish his passing was a bit better and he can be a tremendous threat.

A few points after watching the game back at home...

• Our wingers are getting better and better each game.
  • Pushing Pirlo up has really helped with the possession game. Maybe with the dimensions of YS they found his sweet spot.
  • White had a decent game, not better or worse than Iraola or RJ though.
  • I am not convinced on "Yellow-Card Mikey" being a starter yet, but the guy does hustle. Him and Bravo provide the physicality that we lacked last year.
  • Where the hell does Fat Frank fit in with this team now. I don't know where you realistically can play him.
  • As much as I love Mix & Poku, I think they both shine coming off the bench for now, while spot starting.
  • I am going to give Villa the benefit of "mounting pressure" before the first goal. Dude was pouting big time before, to be fair though, he was also pouting his own mistakes too. We need him to be & act like the leader ALL the time.
  • Ref sucked 2nd half.
  • Crowd was silenced after the Saunders screw up, but really were great for a Saturday afternoon game. Loud and boisterous. We need to get some easy full stadium chants going though. Even the N-Y-C one falters after a few.
  • As bad as Saunders is, I don't think Eirik is the answer either, though I'd like to see him start. I think we need to upgrade next year regardless.
  • My seats are right at the right field flag and my kid was calling Techera "Dora the Explorer" on a corner kick and Techera locked eyes with him and started laughing. It was a fun moment.

The upgrade in Net should be Sean Johnson. Absolutely right, not saying EJ is the answer either, but the thing is, we DONT KNOW, give him a game or two. But yes next year I think we need a legit number 1 keeper, and frankly I was surprised Reyna didn't go out there this past off season and obtained one for this year.

New Yorkers are crass, I think that expecting high brow in the Bronx is probably not going to work for you.
The Bronx been classy
tumblr_inline_o5i75x68el1u6544d_540.gif

that salsa music (Eddie Santiago) playing in the background of PV #asknycfc interview ;)

Nobody has yet noticed, especially our resident stat guru mgarbowski mgarbowski , but Vancouver must really hate playing us - we own them having won each time we've played (2-0-0) with a two year win streak against them. They won't get a chance to turn it around until 2017 at the earliest unless we meet them in the playoffs or the Open Cup this season, and even then we'll still lead the series.
I did think of it as soon as the game ended, but by the time I had a chance to post I kind of forgot about it and never did mention it, so thanks for filling in what I neglected.
I can still note that last year we did not manage a win against the West until our 9th try against San Jose on September 19. That was a notable game for multiple reasons: (1) the only time we wore the black kit at home, (2) grabavoy brace (3) last home win until yesterday. So there are 2 teams against whom we have a perfect unbeaten and untied record. It would be nice to keep that up and by beating SJ this year.
Overall last year NYCFC was 2-6-2 against the West for 8 points in 10 games which was poor, even by the team standards of the season overall.

My issue with that theory is what the hell is the team then doing with two backup keepers that the coach has no faith in? If Lurch was deemed a liability, then why bring in Rawls if he is lower on the depth chart? I would've brought in a guy that I wouldn't be afraid to play - it's like what Men in Blazers tweeted, there's no way Saunders in the 20th best Keeper in a country of 320million. There HAD to be somebody better than Saunders that could have been signed instead of Rawls. Sorry, I just don't buy the notion that the club feels more confident in Saunders because they're afraid of Lurch's limitations because the statistical probability of NYCFC having the three worst keepers in the league is like me correctly choosing the EPL winner three years in a row.
I agree with all of this as far as acquisitions go. And PV should have a hand in making requests. But now he has the roster he has. And so his actions and words are consistent with a coach who believes in rewarding effort and focusing on the positive. I have to believe he does not trust EJ.

I also suspect that while he views field positions as tinkerable, he sees GK as a role you want to maintain highest levels of consistency. Probably CBs are second on that list. I suspect he doesn't ever want to "try Lurch for a game or two." He only wants to make that move if he believes he is making it permanently (barring suspension/injury).

Back