mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
I wrote this in the shoutbox last night.* At least one person PVieira21 scoffed. I understand. It's counterintuitive. I bet the reaction to this thread title is incredulity. That first touch, his runs, those crosses!

* Not the whole post, just the thread title.

Before I prove it. Let me be clear. I am not saying Angelino is not good. I am also not saying this is his fault. Nor am I saying we could not be good next year if his loan is extended. I am simply saying that when he played (s0 far) this year we have been significantly worse than when he does not. It could be he is good but does not mesh with this team; it could be the coach's fault; it could be luck or the schedule; it could be our back line is not good enough to make up for his offensive focus; it could be he is a luxury good we cannot afford. Or maybe he should have adjusted his game. I'm literally not suggesting any of these is the case. I just want to prove the fact that we have been much better without him so far this year.

Record As A Starter
He has started 7 games and the team has Won 2, lost 6 and drew 1. PPG 0.78
When he does not start the record is 7-8-6 for a PPG of 1.29. If we played at that rate all year to date we would have 5 more points (39).
Now I am aware that he played 3 games where he did not start, and our record is 2-0-1. Am I shortchanging him by not giving him credit for that? No.
In the two wins the score when he was on the bench is NYCFC 3 Opponents 0. When he played in those two wins (a total of 39 minutes) the score was 2-2. He can get no credit for those wins. You want to make an issue of the tie? Fine. It's a draw. Let him have it. Then the remaining game PPG goes up to 1.3 and his is 0.80.
Also, the record when he does not start includes the 11-game winless streak early in the season. Remember when our PPG was 0.58 after 13 games? All before he showed up. Counting those games we have played better without him. This is a very fair measurement.

Average Goals For And Against
For this analysis I counted all the minutes. Starting, subbing, etc.
When Angelino has not been on the field we average 1.23 goals per 90 minutes. When he does play that rises to 1.96. So when he plays our average goals per 90 goes up by an immense (I think) 0.72 goals.

But then there is defense. He is technically a defender, remember?
When he does not play our goals against per 90 is 1.28, slightly higher than the 1.23 we score. Not great. On the low side of mediocre.
But when he does play our goals against per 90 is a ridiculous 2.47. When he plays our goals against rises by 1.19 goals per 90 So when he has played he our offense improves by 0.72 G/90 and our defense suffers by 1.19 G/90.

I think those are extraordinary high numbers that cannot possibly be put down to one player. His arrival also coincided with the arrival of other new players. But it is also impossible for me to ignore that our latest 2-game winning streak (the first time we won 2-straight home games) came when he was benched, and that we have been better during those games when he is sitting than when he plays. In the totality of his playing time our offense is much better when he plays but our defense gets even far, far worse.

Again, this is not all on him. It is chemistry, luck, a short data set, etc. I'm not inclined to say he actually is responsible for dropping 5 points in the standings. But it is pretty much indisputable that he has not helped us. I do not see how you can make that case. He's fun to watch, but his loan has not otherwise been an advantage to date.

One final note. His playing time includes the 5 goals against fiasco in LA. But it also includes the 5 goal explosion we had against Orlando. You want to toss out one you toss out the other.

Last edited:
(I hope my concise response isn't taken as a sign or rudeness given your lengthy, well considered initial post)

(I hope my concise response isn't taken as a sign or rudeness given your lengthy, well considered initial post)
I'm no stats guy but what do the significance tests look like for your figures?
No offense taken. I'm not enough of a stats guy to answer that, honestly, but I expect the 7-10 game sample is insufficient, and there too many uncontrolled variables, for it to be meaningfully predictive. Which is why I stress I'm only describing what happened. I don't think this can explain why it happened or predict future results.

Its so hard to really tell anything about our roster right now. Too many new players in the middle of the season and the constant changes that came with them. I've seen some quick footwork from Angelino and seen some mistakes. The only thing I do know is that he has potential and we won't know what that is until we have less variables and more constants.

it could be our back line is not good enough to make up for his offensive focus
I think this bit could be a huge part of his year. (And actually the same could be said of Mix, for that matter.) If we had a rock solid back line that would let our other players run forward without killing us. So yes, perhaps Angelino needs to learn how to work with this, but if we were better defensively his same play would be an asset rather than a liability.

So not disagreeing with anything you said, just hoping the general situation improves.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Being 18 years old and weighing 155 lbs (give or take) means he's going to get manhandled in the defensive end more times than not.

I'm not too sure how much he could add to his frame, but perhaps a little upper body strength training in the off season could turn the trick.

Reactions: Mario
Being 18 years old and weighing 155 lbs (give or take) means he's going to get manhandled in the defensive end more times than not.

I'm not too sure how much he could add to his frame, but perhaps a little upper body strength training in the off season could turn the trick.

I'm no expert but I think the way he plays is a bigger problem than his size - he seems to make too many high risk attempts to win the ball rather than simply staying between his man and the goal.

No debate there. Hopefully his stint in MLS can be a learning experience and a stepping stone for next season.

He gets handled like a red headed step child out there ....

Reactions: Christopher Jee
No offense taken. I'm not enough of a stats guy to answer that, honestly, but I expect the 7-10 game sample is insufficient, and there too many uncontrolled variables, for it to be meaningfully predictive. Which is why I stress I'm only describing what happened. I don't think this can explain why it happened or predict future results.
Fair-dos. I just worry about what kind of conclusions we might jump to, or that we end up rationalizing our intuition with false precision.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
It's no coincidence that the last two games when neither Angelino or Iraola were on the pitch bombing down the flanks we've allowed 0 goals. Angelino just goes forward too often and Iraola hasn't given adequate effort IMO. Plus I really don't think Angelino is a fullback in any top league in the world -- or MLS for that matter. Hopefully when the squad is retooled this offseason we will be able to utilize one or both of them better. But right now I think both are best left on the bench if possible considering injuries, suspensions, etc. with Allen and, dare I say, Wingert playing well. The back 4 of Allen, Facey, Hernandez and Wingert have played over 400 minutes together now and have only allowed 1 goal.

I'm no expert but I think the way he plays is a bigger problem than his size - he seems to make too many high risk attempts to win the ball rather than simply staying between his man and the goal.
Agree. Wingert knows he doesn't have pace and is content to contain.

It's no coincidence that the last two games when neither Angelino or Iraola were on the pitch bombing down the flanks we've allowed 0 goals. Angelino just goes forward too often and Iraola hasn't given adequate effort IMO. Plus I really don't think Angelino is a fullback in any top league in the world -- or MLS for that matter. Hopefully when the squad is retooled this offseason we will be able to utilize one or both of them better. But right now I think both are best left on the bench if possible considering injuries, suspensions, etc. with Allen and, dare I say, Wingert playing well. The back 4 of Allen, Facey, Hernandez and Wingert have played over 400 minutes together now and have only allowed 1 goal.
I'm a fan of adding width by pushing our fullbacks forward, but we don't keep the ball well enough or work hard enough to get it back high up the pitch. I still think that that's the eventual goal but both take time to build fluency.

Reactions: Paul

Angelino could be the faster, more athletic TMac is used properly. The game against Dallas was a good example of that, except that's probably the first time in his academy/professional career ever playing up the field. He should be on the wing in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1.

---------------Saunders----------------
-RJ--Hernandez-Facey--Wingert---
---------Jacobson-Pirlo---------------
Mix---------Lampard-------Angelino
----------------Villa---------------------

I'm really surprised someone so talented with the maths would write something like this. Correlation doesn't imply causation, as they say. Small sample size and soccer doesn't lend itself to plus/minus stats. How many goals were caused by his mistakes directly? How many did he stop? Those might be more instructive answers to have, and still wouldn't paint the whole picture.

Finding a way to say wingert is better than Angelino is truly a way to make statistics tell you whatever you want to find.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Jack
I'm really surprised someone so talented with the maths would write something like this. Correlation doesn't imply causation, as they say. Small sample size and soccer doesn't lend itself to plus/minus stats. How many goals were caused by his mistakes directly? How many did he stop? Those might be more instructive answers to have, and still wouldn't paint the whole picture.

Finding a way to say wingert is better than Angelino is truly a way to make statistics tell you whatever you want to find.
I'm surprised someone who has shown an ability to read would write this given the careful writing above with numerous disclaimers. I made none of the assertions or mistakes you decry.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I should have mentioned Iraola whose playing time has roughly matched Angelino's. I have no particular desire to pick on Angelino instead of him or anyone else.

Sometimes talent alone does not equal team success. Angelino is fun, he's exciting and he's new. These things will always cloud judgment.

And while I do think stats can be interrupted however you want them to be, there might be something to this. Watch how many times he got wrong-sided on Saturday night after he came in. Those are the nuances of the position that he is still struggling with. It's not about effort, or speed, or passing, it's about knowing where your mark is and. Not letting them get position.

All that being said there are extenuating circumstances with him. New league, new country, new to the pro game (playing other academy teams is not even close), a new team around him that is also learning, a new RB, etc.

I feel the reality falls somewhere in the middle, he's not great, though he could be, he's not the reason goals are given up either. It's all shades of grey.

Reactions: joe and Tony L
And sort of combining themes of my responses immediately above to Paul Paul and T Tom in Fairfield CT, I think the reason for the post, and a reason I focused on Angelino and not Iraola, is that I think there is a consensus that Iraola has been a disappointment, which is not the case for Angelino. Angelino works hard, is fun to watch and has obvious talent. Therefore, people seem to conclude, his presence here has been positive. I agree those are all good things, and if we're not making the playoffs then letting us watch a talented young player develop is a good reason to have him here. But I have also noted that his presence in the lineup has not corresponded with good results. And so I am comfortable restating my conclusion above:
I'm not inclined to say he actually is responsible for dropping 5 points in the standings. But it is pretty much indisputable that he has not helped us.