We Have Been Much, Much Worse When Angelino Plays

Yes! But is he the winger we need? Could we do better with that international spot?

Good question. I think so. Just look at that cross to Villa that led to our 3rd goal last game. The kid is dynamic. He can run, he can pass, he can shoot. Just gotta get him to bring the flash down more often. He likes "pretty football" and can get caught doing too much too often.

The international roster slot is enticing but honestly it's a huge crapshoot. I say continue to develop Angelino if we can keep him another season.

Good question. I think so. Just look at that cross to Villa that led to our 3rd goal last game. The kid is dynamic. He can run, he can pass, he can shoot. Just gotta get him to bring the flash down more often. He likes "pretty football" and can get caught doing too much too often.

The international roster slot is enticing but honestly it's a huge crapshoot. I say continue to develop Angelino if we can keep him another season.
We are wasting int'l roster spots on our third keeper and our seventh string midfielder.

Before I prove it.

You have to control for the opponents in such a small sample size. I haven't looked at the data, is the sample representative of a wide range in opponent quality?

You have to control for the opponents in such a small sample size. I haven't looked at the data, is the sample representative of a wide range in opponent quality?

No. I specifically disavowed that. As previously disclaimed:
I am simply saying that when he played (s0 far) this year we have been significantly worse than when he does not. It could be he is good but does not mesh with this team; it could be the coach's fault; it could be luck or the schedule;
I expect the 7-10 game sample is insufficient, and there too many uncontrolled variables, for it to be meaningfully predictive. Which is why I stress I'm only describing what happened. I don't think this can explain why it happened or predict future results.
As I said in response to another post, I think this is far too small for any predictive purposes. And I specifically disavow any causation. It's just correlation. OTOH, as of right now he's not coming back next year. This might be all we have, plus whatever he plays in the last 4 games. The question of whether this half season loan helped the team is valid and the answer, right now, is no, and next season won't help answer that. I still hope the loan is extended to change things and make this a better experience both for him and for NYC. But if not this makes me very wary of future half-season loanees.

It's simple really - no matter the sample size. We just don't have the luxury of letting fullbacks take the ball to the other corner of the field and send in crosses, no matter how good he is at it. It leaves us too exposed to counter attacks, which will be on full display against Vancouver. If we had a Jermaine Jones to cover his ass we could send him up for days.

Jones was never a favorite of mine, but he ramped it up prior to the world cup and his goal against Portugal was his absolute peak. Then he has slowly declined. Played well for revs last year and stunk this year.

Reactions: Jack
Yeah not saying I'd want him in particular or anything, he's just an example of a CDM that's generally more threatening to an attack than the guy who looks like the skinny kid who gets picked last in gym.

Jones was never a favorite of mine, but he ramped it up prior to the world cup and his goal against Portugal was his absolute peak. Then he has slowly declined. Played well for revs last year and stunk this year.
Agreed. He was a walking yellow card, then got it together in the run up to the 2014 World Cup.