World Cup NIT

adam

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 30, 2014
LBNY
This will probably never happen. But it sure makes sense and would be cool AF. If it did, how many teams, what format and who’s in?

We for sure need:

Top Seeds
1. USA
2. Italy
3. Netherlands
4. Chile

Then:

Pot 2
5. Ghana
6. Cameroon
7. Wales
8. Greece

Pot 3
9. Ecuador
10. Ivory Coast
11. Ireland/Denmark
12. Australia/Honduras

Pot 4
13. Northern Ireland
14. Scotland
15. Ukraine
16. China

I made sure to have Scotland in there with Northern Ireland, Wales & possibly Ireland to garner UK interest.

I also added China to gain their viewership.

The rest of the teams all came close to qualifying and probably could hold their own in the real World Cup if they were in there.

Figure top 2 from each of the 4 groups move to knockout stage.

Venues I’d like to see in the summer:

Meadowlands (NY/NJ)
Mercedes Benz (Atlanta)
LA Colosium (LA)
Hard Rock (Miami)
AT&T (Dallas)
Soldier Field (Chicago)
Century Link (Seattle)

Maybe mix in some MLS stadiums for games that won’t draw so well.

Or... do you also use college venues and make it a regional event that only takes place in the Northeast or Southwest? That way you cut down on travel for teams and fans who want to attend.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFC_JD
For it. Was for it before Italy went out, even more so now.

It would be a massive money maker, with or without the very top veteran stars.

And dareisay, it would have some prestige attached just by virtue of the teams in it.

I'd love for this to be played outside the USA. We play too much of our tournaments on home soil, I think it makes us less prepared than other nations who play many competitive matches away from home.

I'd say give it to China, but the smog factor ruins that. I would gladly take a vacation to Europe next summer now that Russia is out for me. Perhaps joint hosting between several of the Euro nations involved. Dream scenario for a summer soccer related vacation!

This would be ridiculous and would be massive because so many of those teams' countries travel well and their (non-traveling) fans would be glued to the TV. More compact schedule with some very choice possible match ups.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
I’d love to see a selection comitee. Who’s on the bubble???
I was actually thinking about this. How would teams be selected? If we do 16 teams, then maybe the following:
  • OFC/CONMEBOL Playoff Loser
  • CONCACAF/AFC Playoff Loser
  • 4 UEFA Playoff Losers
  • Next CONMEBOL team
  • Next CONCACAF team
  • AFC Playoff Loser (This would be Syria this year)
  • Top 2 Second Place Teams in CAF (or could do some kind of playoff)
That gets us to 11. Then perhaps just take the next top 5 teams by FIFA ranking?

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
I was actually thinking about this. How would teams be selected? If we do 16 teams, then maybe the following:
  • OFC/CONMEBOL Playoff Loser
  • CONCACAF/AFC Playoff Loser
  • 4 UEFA Playoff Losers
  • Next CONMEBOL team
  • Next CONCACAF team
  • AFC Playoff Loser (This would be Syria this year)
  • Top 2 Second Place Teams in CAF (or could do some kind of playoff)
That gets us to 10. Then perhaps just take the next top 6 teams by FIFA ranking?
So for this cycle that would leave us with:
  • New Zealand/Peru (playoff loser auto)
  • Australia/Honduras (playoff loser auto)
  • Northern Ireland (playoff loser auto)
  • Italy (playoff loser auto)
  • Greece (playoff loser auto)
  • Ireland/Denmark (playoff loser auto)
  • Chile (CONMEBOL auto)
  • USA (CONCACAF auto)
  • DR Congo (CAF auto)
  • Uganda (CAF auto)
  • Syria (AFC auto)
  • Wales (at large)
  • Slovakia (at large)
  • Scotland (at large)
  • Netherlands (at large)
  • Ukraine (at large)

Reactions: Paul and adam
So for this cycle that would leave us with:
  • New Zealand/Peru (playoff loser auto)
  • Australia/Honduras (playoff loser auto)
  • Northern Ireland (playoff loser auto)
  • Italy (playoff loser auto)
  • Greece (playoff loser auto)
  • Ireland/Denmark (playoff loser auto)
  • Chile (CONMEBOL auto)
  • USA (CONCACAF auto)
  • DR Congo (CAF auto)
  • Uganda (CAF auto)
  • Syria (AFC auto)
  • Wales (at large)
  • Slovakia (at large)
  • Scotland (at large)
  • Netherlands (at large)
  • Ukraine (at large)
Can we please just leave out Northern Ireland? The way they play is dire and makes me question why it is ever called the beautiful game or how I could love a game that could be played anywhere in such a negative way.

Last edited:
Can we please just leave our Northern Ireland? The way they play is dire and makes me doubt why it is ever called the beautiful game or how I could love a game that could be played anywhere in such a negative way.
Hey man, they're taking an auto-qualifier spot, there's nothing I can do.

They're like the University of Wisconsin basketball team. They're talented and deserve the spot, but the most boring and awful to watch.

This will probably never happen. But it sure makes sense and would be cool AF. If it did, how many teams, what format and who’s in?

We for sure need:

Top Seeds
1. USA
2. Italy
3. Netherlands
4. Chile

Then:

Pot 2
5. Ghana
6. Cameroon
7. Wales
8. Greece

Pot 3
9. Ecuador
10. Ivory Coast
11. Ireland/Denmark
12. Australia/Honduras

Pot 4
13. Northern Ireland
14. Scotland
15. Ukraine
16. China

I made sure to have Scotland in there with Northern Ireland, Wales & possibly Ireland to garner UK interest.

I also added China to gain their viewership.

The rest of the teams all came close to qualifying and probably could hold their own in the real World Cup if they were in there.

Figure top 2 from each of the 4 groups move to knockout stage.

Venues I’d like to see in the summer:

Meadowlands (NY/NJ)
Mercedes Benz (Atlanta)
LA Colosium (LA)
Hard Rock (Miami)
AT&T (Dallas)
Soldier Field (Chicago)
Century Link (Seattle)

Maybe mix in some MLS stadiums for games that won’t draw so well.

Or... do you also use college venues and make it a regional event that only takes place in the Northeast or Southwest? That way you cut down on travel for teams and fans who want to attend.

are you the guy that posted this in reddit and it got taken down? i thought of this as a joke ( done by the MIB dudes) and not a serious thing.

feels like those tourneys i did on FIFA

are you the guy that posted this in reddit and it got taken down? i thought of this as a joke ( done by the MIB dudes) and not a serious thing.

feels like those tourneys i did on FIFA

I don't reddit. Don't even snap. I once insta'd for a little, but got bored. I'm on FB, but don't really post anything.

And for the record, it is a bit of a joke right now. But it kind of actually makes sense and Scott Van Pelt suggested ESPN do it on Sportcenter last night. I know I'd watch. Would you?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I don't reddit. Don't even snap. I once insta'd for a little, but got bored. I'm on FB, but don't really post anything.

And for the record, it is a bit of a joke right now. But it kind of actually makes sense and Scott Van Pelt suggested ESPN do it on Sportcenter last night. I know I'd watch. Would you?

not really...considering that main players most likely wont be let go of their clubs.....maybe youth players at best....i mean you could get retired NT players if they are not tied to a club ( ie Pirlo)

I think 16 teams is right size-wise. There will probably be 2-4 crap teams a given cycle, but it's a lot cleaner/easier than 12.

Can we please just leave out Northern Ireland? The way they play is dire and makes me question why it is ever called the beautiful game or how I could love a game that could be played anywhere in such a negative way.

Hey man, they're taking an auto-qualifier spot, there's nothing I can do.

You're alright after all. Scotland want to hire Northern Ireland's manager for themselves, so now you can keep the Irish and just ditch Scotland.

If there’s money in it, it will happen. FIFA will even sanction it, as long as they get their cut.

I just dont understand why do it before the WC. Bc of the time zones, these matches can be played at night US time and not interfere with any live broadcasts of WC matches. Then star players can be released during a FIFA international window. Otherwise, Fantazma Fantazma might not watch.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
If there’s money in it, it will happen. FIFA will even sanction it, as long as they get their cut.

I just dont understand why do it before the WC. Bc of the time zones, these matches can be played at night US time and not interfere with any live broadcasts of WC matches. Then star players can be released during a FIFA international window. Otherwise, Fantazma Fantazma might not watch.

I'm pretty sure that FIFA imposes a general blackout of all broadcasting of international games during FIFA events. They simply don't want to encourage any sort of action which might result in someone who otherwise would have tuned into their main event choosing instead to watch something else. Even if the game would've been played in a different time zone, I'm sure they would argue it on the basis of someone staying up to watch that game probably would be less willing to get up early to view the WC matches played in Russian locations, regardless of whether the matches actually collide in and of themselves.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

There is no coach and a potentially important election occurring in us soccer presidency and we are concerned for a consolation cup

Why would FIFA want to let it happen during its biggest tournament? Though to be fair only the US market is the target here not the world. No way clubs let their star players go and risk injury for this. Also, are the likes of Italy , Netherlands really going to go for this? They have stuff to figure out and these two three games isint changing much

Everyone says money, from who? ESPN? They are not giving millions to FIFA for this. US soccer? using that 100 million for this rather than its programs youth and coaching ?

But I can't act surprised though with SUM involved they want to get some money back. If if it does happen I just hope no nycfc player gets called up ( if applicable) since I don't want any of them to get injured for nothing