World Cup Qualifying - 2018 Russia

Iran now up 2-1.

Doesn't Syria need Korea to lose today, not just draw? Korea has a win and a draw against Syria, surely that is the tiebreaker?

I assumed the tiebreker is goal differential, but not entirely sure.

EDIT: Wikipedia says the first tiebreaker is goal differential.

Candidly, I tend to take a utilitarian approach to the US v Italy matches. I support whichever outcome will increase the likelihood that both teams advance. All other things being equal, I support the US over Italy but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'd still cringe at an Italy loss.

This varies a bit by sport also as soccer is the only sport where I really feel conflicted. In all others, I support the US over everyone and Italy over everyone except the US. Maybe it's because of Italy's history in the sport and because it's tied so closely to the the Italian identity in some ways. Like baseball in America.

Do I plan to move to Italy? I've tried and am trying. At least for a few years. Moreso to preserve the language, customs and culture for myself and my family. Unfortunately, even as a dual citizen, making the leap there is extremely difficult.

I don't think many people understand or appreciate the point of view of first and even some second generation Italians possibly because they are now far removed from their ancestral origins.

Some are probably saying "well I'm first generation (insert something here) but I don't say/feel/think that way."

I'm not sure why, but it's been my observation that families from certain countries or cultures tend to feel or act more connected to their ancestral homelands than others. I don't know why and I don't want to speculate. But Italians largely are a very proud people and for good reason. If you haven't actually been to Italy, it's not possible to fully appreciate what "being Italian" means to an Italian or more precisely what being calabrese, apuglian, abbruzese, etc means to our families.

It's not just where we come from. It's what we are. In a manner of speaking, these regions and the country as a whole, ARE our family.

If you have an Italian surname and speak
even minimal Italian, when you travel to Italy, you are treated differently. If you've never had a similar experience, it's hard to appreciate.

Hmm, very similar to the way Jews feel with Israel, except for the regional part. In fact, a common greeting there is "achi" or "my brother" to almost any Jew you meet. I'd probably be in the same boat as you, rooting wise, if Israel was actually any good at team sports. I think it's the underdog mentality I have from being a Jets/Nets/Islanders/Spurs fan that would have me rooting for Israel over the US, if they ever meet in team sports. In the olympics there are like at most 10 Israeli athletes, and maybe one medals, so again the underdog. Point being, I don't think my current predicament of rooting for Israel over the US is as much loyalty, as it is cheering on the little guy. And when I eventually do move to Israel, I'll still alway cheer on the red, white and blue.

21272646_10155299014334821_4685666404314524806_n.jpg

ESPN.com is showing Uzbekistan up 1-0 in the 85', but when I googled "AFC World Cup Qualifying", its showing FT game ending in a 0-0 draw.

Can't believe I was caring about the Korea Uzbekistan and Iran-Syria games. Given USAs form I really did not want South Korea to be the Asian playoff team. (Korea qualified, Syria in Asian playoff for CONCACAF playoff, Uzbekistan out).

Korea holds on for a draw, Syria levels it in stoppage time to draw Iran and makes the playoff with the 3rd place team from the other group (Australia or Saudi Arabia). Korea qualifies and Uzbekistan eliminated.

S. Korea and Uzbekistan end scoreless.

AND - minutes later, Syria equalizes at the death. Syria will finish ahead of Uzbekistan and play in the Asia playoff.

Would USA have to play a home-home match IN SYRIA???

Would USA have to play a home-home match IN SYRIA???

Well, theoretically yes, but there is no way that is where the match would be held. I think Syria has been playing their matches in Tehran and Astana, though I may have that mixed up with another squad.

Reactions: adam
Well, theoretically yes, but there is no way that is where the match would be held. I think Syria has been playing their matches in Tehran and Astana, though I may have that mixed up with another squad.

Tehran isn't much better of an option :) Might as well just play in Pyongyang; that will sure boost ratings.

If we pull a Mexico 2013 I would rather have USA play Syria in Teheran than Australia in Perth or Melbourne

Syria's opponent in the Asia playoffs will be the 3rd place team in Group B. There is one game left in that group, and it is between Japan, who has clinched first place, and Saudi Arabia, who can slide past Australia into 2nd place with a win.

So, Syria will play either Saudi Arabia - if they fail to beat Japan - or Australia - if Saudi wins.

Game is in Jeddah, and it is scoreless at 26'.

Reactions: ferrarinycfc
Saudi score on the Japan B Team.

Saudi Arabia will advance to the World Cup if the result holds, with Australia relegated to the playoffs.