Yangel Herrera to NYCFC

I seem to recall the following. Under normal circumstances, a player on loan only counts against the salary cap to the extent of the salary paid by the MLS club. However, if the loan is from an affiliate, then the MLS club has to recognize the full compensation for that year as if it owns the player. I think this would include at least an amortization of the acquisition cost.

So, no idea if we will have to count this guy as a DP. If we do, he would only be a Young DP, and at 19, that means he would only count $150K against the salary cap.

This could also be one of those situations where he counts as a DP for the first half of the season and then is a TAM player once we get a summer transfer.

Maybe a half year loan. Who the hell knows anymore

Well, City need him to be somewhere other than Manchester until he qualifies for a work permit, and that's going to require he get substantial minutes with Venezuela's national team.
Much shorter trip from NYC than Melbourne.

Reactions: Kjbert
I seem to recall the following. Under normal circumstances, a player on loan only counts against the salary cap to the extent of the salary paid by the MLS club. However, if the loan is from an affiliate, then the MLS club has to recognize the full compensation for that year as if it owns the player. I think this would include at least an amortization of the acquisition cost.

So, no idea if we will have to count this guy as a DP. If we do, he would only be a Young DP, and at 19, that means he would only count $150K against the salary cap.

This could also be one of those situations where he counts as a DP for the first half of the season and then is a TAM player once we get a summer transfer.
So it would actually be in our best interest to make him a DP player as the cost to cap would be minimal?

So it would actually be in our best interest to make him a DP player as the cost to cap would be minimal?
I mean, if we don't, you know, want to sign a real DP who has played real 1st team football.

I mean, I'm all for going younger with DP signings, but we shouldn't use our DP signings to give the first ever minutes to CFG's lotto tickets. That's the other end of the spectrum, and arguably far worse.

I mean, if we don't, you know, want to sign a real DP who has played real 1st team football.

I mean, I'm all for going younger with DP signings, but we shouldn't use our DP signings to give the first ever minutes to CFG's lotto tickets. That's the other end of the spectrum, and arguably far worse.
Even if it means that come summer we can transfer him to a TAM contract and sign another DP? IF that is the plan would you be okay with it?

Even if it means that come summer we can transfer him to a TAM contract and sign another DP? IF that is the plan would you be okay with it?
How can we? They paid a couple of million for him, and yes, even if. If we are dropping that kind of TAM money, I want it spent on someone who's at least minimally proven himself as a pro.

ETA: All of that to say, I'll believe he comes here as a DP when the club announces it. I don't buy it yet.

He would be capped at $150K as a young DP under the age of 20 for salary cap purposes.
Ok so i understand that this being the MLS that no one might know the answer. With that being said, if we signed him to a DP contract to only change him to a DP lite in the summer using TAM, would that mean that we would have to buy down his contract to under $450,000 or to his level of salary cap hit of $150,000? #mlssmoke&mirros

Ok so i understand that this being the MLS that no one might know the answer. With that being said, if we signed him to a DP contract to only change him to a DP lite in the summer using TAM, would that mean that we would have to buy down his contract to under $450,000 or to his level of salary cap hit of $150,000? #mlssmoke&mirros

It's going to depend on MLS. I have a feeling if he is a DP, we are not going to be able to buy him down because of how big the transfer fee is. CFG also did shady moves like this in the A-League, so MLS is not going to be surprised that we might try to circumvent transfer fee/cap rules.

The one way that this would actually work is if he went to the EDS. Our charter allows us to get 4 EDS players on loan.

It's going to depend on MLS. I have a feeling if he is a DP, we are not going to be able to buy him down because of how big the transfer fee is. CFG also did shady moves like this in the A-League, so MLS is not going to be surprised that we might try to circumvent transfer fee/cap rules.

The one way that this would actually work is if he went to the EDS. Our charter allows us to get 4 EDS players on loan.

How long would he have to be an EDS member in order for that clause to take effect?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Just thinking that if he can't an English work permit, he probably won't be able to join EDS.

Yes, unless he has a European parent I can already tell you he does not qualify for a WP. Unless in the next couple years Venezuela becomes a top 10 team and he gets 30+ caps, he will not play in England.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I'm just sitting here waiting for some announcements on trades regarding international spots.

I'm just sitting here waiting for some announcements on trades regarding international spots.
My guess is the team won't make deals for INT spots until they're done assembling the team. Sounds like they're still going after players and busy negotiating with their agents/current clubs.