Alex From Hull, England!

Alex Manning

Registered
May 7, 2014
Hey everybody! I am a huge fan of MLS and have struggled to chose a team to support in this league, however when the announcement was made that the MLS will get a new franchise being, NYCFC I decided that is the team I would support. It is a dream of mine to one day visit New York City and to also work there. Feel free to check out my blog in which I cover the MLS http://rowzftb.wordpress.com/category/mls/ and I have also written many articles for FTB Pro including http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/alex.ma...-city-backing-new-york-city-fc-success-awaits also check out some of my other articles, there are a few more on the MLS.

Thanks!

Reactions: NYJoe and BxLio91
There he is! Thanks for joining, again! When I get some free time at work later I'll be checking out some of your work.

Since you are an out-of-towner I'd like to get your perspective on a hot-topic here:

What is your EPL team of choice? How does it effect your interest in NYC FC/does it effect your interest...?

As an MLS writer in UK; what is the general concensus of American soccer amongst your readers - in your opinion, how can you, I, we change that?

edit: tagging you A Alex Manning just in case you miss the responses!

Last edited:
Hi Alex,welcome!

I'll be sure to check out your blog!

Good questions, Ein, I'm looking forward to Alex's take on those.

Welcome Alex!

I am glad you've joined us. Be sure to let us know whenever you have a chance to come to NYC.

In your opinion, what makes the MLS so interesting?

There he is! Thanks for joining, again! When I get some free time at work later I'll be checking out some of your work.

Since you are an out-of-towner I'd like to get your perspective on a hot-topic here:

What is your EPL team of choice? How does it effect your interest in NYC FC/does it effect your interest...?

As an MLS writer in UK; what is the general concensus of American soccer amongst your readers - in your opinion, how can you, I, we change that?

edit: tagging you A Alex Manning just in case you miss the responses!
Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I support Hull City, who will be in the Europa League next season, and FA Cup final this season!!! please cheer us on!!! I support Hull City because they are my local team, and I don't understand when people have a big dislike towards their home team?!?! (That is sometimes the case in England). I love the idea of supporting the club from my origin's, it gives you a better connection to the team. I suppose there is no direct link between Hull City and NYCFC, but I struggles to choose a team in the MLS I wanted to support, when the announcement came about NYCFC I knew I would choose this team even before they step foot on the field. I'm guessing it's everyone's dream to go to New York plus, the fact that this club was created by an English team only attracted me in even more. Going back to local clubs topic, I also thought that the most famous city in the world, surely, deserved to have its own team, combining all these points...I chose to follow NYCFC #5boroughs1city

It's sad to say, there is nobody I know, apart from myself that likes/follows MLS. When I have spoken to my friends about it, these are the type of answers I got, some points I can argue, however in my opinion, being an Englishman I agree with them. I've had things like, 'its boring, standard of football isn't great'. I have to disagree with this, as I think it is an entertaining league, obviously not up to Premier League standards and has it's boring games, but doesn't every league?... another thing was that they don't like the American mentality towards the game, the way they glamorise it all. This I'm sorry to say, I do agree with this point in a way and I can see why it would put people off, but I just look past it. The fact that it is an 'American' sports league, I think put's people off because the majority of English people and European people don't like American sports in general, therefore just tend to stay away from that scene altogether. The only American sports I watch, is American Football and I watch the NFL every year, but because the games last too long, there are too many breaks just deters people from watching these sports.

NYCFC's introduction is only going to help the league out a great deal. Due to Manchester City being co-owner, it is only going to be publicised around the world, and because a big club like Man City have shown interest in the MLS more people are going to see what the league is all about. Broadcasting is another thing they should try to improve on outside of the USA. The only way I am able to view the MLS is by watching highlights on YouTube or MLS.com, because they are not shown on Sky, but sometimes on BT but I don't have either so... There is no real place to watch MLS other than the internet. If the US MNT perform well at the World Cup, this will help as well. The MLS is growing in popularity rapidly so I have heard from interviews with Nick Chavez, Christian Dean and Mike Chabala, before they can reach out to the world, they need to get the U.S. gripped on the beautiful game!

Thanks. Hope these answered your questions :D

Welcome Alex!

I am glad you've joined us. Be sure to let us know whenever you have a chance to come to NYC.

In your opinion, what makes the MLS so interesting?

A few years ago, the league may not have been as interesting as it is now, but the standards has raised and provided everyone with much more exciting games and more international stars to watch. I also like the idea of the MLS draft, not that it would work in Europe (major european leagues), but the way the teams that didn't do so well gets the first pick from the best youth players. The way that nobody knows how each team will finish, every season is different, it gives the fans great optimism. On a personal note, I have always been fascinated by the U.S. and always wanted to go. I used to watch clips of all the American sports on YouTube and I could see how popular they was, and always wondered why football was not as big. If football was the no.1 sport in the U.S. where would the national team be ranked. Before David Beckham moved to LA Galaxy I knew nothing about the league, and over recent years I started watching highlights more often and up until last season I watched it frequently and now it's something I look forward to watching every week, along with Match of the Day (Premier League highlights) and Bundesliga highlights (which is also another league I love).

Thanks for the question, and I doubt I will get to go to New York any time soon haha

Alex, My grandmother was born in Hull and Ihad the distinct pleasure of traveling with her throughout England and Hull. Being with her to see her former home, that she shortly after WWI when she was a tyke was amazing. Hull has a very soft spot in my heart. I will have to look at photos to remember the names of pubs we drank at with cousins.

Have never been closer to Hull than Bridlington I´m afraid.. ;)