Allegiances

Christian

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 21, 2014
I see a lot of talk on the board and Facebook about leaving your previous allegiances at the door. This seems to come from non-MCFC supporters. While originally I didn't understand how non City fans could back this team I came around and saw other viewpoints and agreed at how everyone can be under the one umbrella of NYCFC regardless.

However, I think there's something lost in that. MCFC supporters shouldn't have to put our pride and passion down just to accommodate others. Let's just accept our differences. You want to shout about how much you love Liverpool (which there seems to be a lot of) I've got no issue with it. Be proud. Enjoy it. It makes no difference to me. I'm going to be exactly the same way about MCFC.

The last few days have been full of a lot of ups and downs in England for the title race. City have a shot at winning the title as still does Liverpool. For anyone to want to tone that down just to not offend other NYCFC supporters makes no sense to me. Sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' all you want. Wear your red with pride. I'm going to sing 'Blue Moon' all day and wear that sky blue with the same pride.

You're going to have a lot of Mancs coming over during the summer to see NYCFC play and there's no doubts you'll hear 'Blue Moon' sung in the stadium by some. There will be segments of NYCFC supporters who are going to fuse their passions for both clubs into each other. There is zero wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Let's be fair to all supporters is what I keep reading but I keep getting a very anti-MCFC sentiment and that's just as big of an issue.

Nobody here has a problem with MCFC per se. We have a problem with MCFC fans claiming NYCFC is secondary to MCFC. We have a problem with members questioning our fandom for supporting NYCFC despite not supporting MCFC in the EPL. We have a problem with the identity of MCFC being fused into NYCFC instead of the latter creating its own unique identity.

I doubt anyone cares if you post pro-MCFC sentiments on an EPL thread.

MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity pretty much summed up our (Forums) take on the issue. We don't care one way or the other who you support in EPL. While I can't speak on behalf of all our users I'll go as far to say we don't even care about your MLS allegiances. There are plenty of RB supporters here as well. As long as you come here and treat our members (and non-members) with dignity and respect, all is fair. Z zl10 made a beautiful statement in one of the (unnecessarily deleted) posts on the FB group "we are nycfc, come as you are".

Well that's the thing. There's a degree of heat when you talk about MCFC from people. Like it or not it's always going to be there. It would be good to know that people can handle it without the amount of heat there has been over the past 24 hours.

A lot of the argument has been that people don't want the MCFC connection to turn other people away which I'm all for. The other side of that coin is you don't want to exclude City supporters or make them feel like that connection isn't important because of the supposed neutrality. MCFC supporters are going to be drawn to this club because of it. Let's be sure not to chase people away because of it as was seen on Facebook.

Well that's the thing. There's a degree of heat when you talk about MCFC from people. Like it or not it's always going to be there. It would be good to know that people can handle it without the amount of heat there has been over the past 24 hours.

A lot of the argument has been that people don't want the MCFC connection to turn other people away which I'm all for. The other side of that coin is you don't want to exclude City supporters or make them feel like that connection isn't important because of the supposed neutrality. MCFC supporters are going to be drawn to this club because of it. Let's be sure not to chase people away because of it as was seen on Facebook.
There is a level of maturity that needs to be maintained. Act like adults, be treated like adults.

You've also got to remember, the internet is filled with trolls: people who will do anything to get a [negative] response from others. Don't feed the trolls. Ever.

This whole bullshit seems like folks wanting start news because there is none. We have no players, no kits, no (new) merchandise. There's an information vacuum right now and this is what is bringing out some passion and debate when frankly we don't have much else.
I'm sure once player signings start happening, supporters groups names, songs are made official, we will coalesce as one family. Will we have some crazy uncles? Sure, but who doesn't.

You make some fair points. I could never in good faith tell MCFC fans not to root for their epl team. My concern is that since we're building a fan base and we're competing against NJ and LI fans, we should show undecided people that NYCFC comes first and that we won't be Man City USA. No one can ever take away the fact that our club exists because of Man City and the Yankees. Like it or not, those are 2 entities that get a lot of hate so the rival fan bases will play up and exaggerate that connection. We're the newcomers and we have a lot of work to do. I just feel like we can't give them ammo to paint NYCFC as a club for MCFC fans only which we know is not true.

Nobody should be chased away or feel like they don't belong. That's the underlying issue. Unfortunately there are trolls and people who want to pick fights unnecessarily. The beauty of this club and the supporter's group has to be that we can all come together as one because at the end of the day it's all about NYCFC and nothing else.

What I saw on the Facebook page was completely despicable. Why anyone would try and turn away any potential fans and supporters of this new club is beyond me. Who cares who you support in Europe or elsewhere? Ribbing here and there is going to occur and is natural based on how many different people (strangers at this point) are coming together. But, to purposely provoke another person and, frankly, just be an asshole is pointless and immature.

I wrote this earlier today and I stand by it. What I think is happening is that some fervent Man City fans are trying to make the culture of the SC Man City based and are having a go at anyone who disagrees. That is what is really disgraceful. It is ultimately deterring people from wanting to be a part of the Club:

Hey, so I just got back from my offline session for the weekend. How I will put it is as follows: I grew up here, played at a very high level as a kid, and always felt that the Metrostars/Red Bulls were over there. There really wasn't a professional team in New York and hasn't been. What I think people are missing is that. Regardless of the ownership group, they are willing to bring something, at a substantial cost to them might I add (up to $500 million is the number), to make something that was lacking for me as a child, a reality. I will always appreciate the City Football Group for that, and as long as they allow this club to be NYCFC, I have no issue with who the owner is. They are letting us create our own culture, our own brand, and that is something that is beyond appreciated by me. Any club that is supported by anyone here that they weren't born into, is a culture that is adopted. NYCFC is a culture that we can create, mold, and shape, as people from New York, not Manchester. It's the first time ever since the demise of the NASL that this can happen, and in no way, shape, or form, does the culture or ethos of Man City need to resonate in the supporters group of NYCFC. Just because the executive and some of the field product are, does not mean the culture of the club's supporters has to as well.

Yeah, if you think MCFC supporters aren't going to bring some degree of influence to NYCFC then I'd have to disagree.

While I respect everyone's affiliations I would expect the same in return. Our supporters couldn't be more excited about that and will support NYCFC as their American club. New York Blues are as excited about this as anyone. Here is our club with a presence in our hometown. What more could we ask for?

There will be plenty of space for all sorts of influences so there's room for all. Denying us a place at the table just because you don't want Manchester influences here for this team won't work. We're not saying we're the loudest and it's our club and you better fall in line. No one is saying that. Making an issue of our club loyalty is the same as us doing it to you and that's where the issue lies.

You want to support whoever then do it. I will do the same. I will bring all my passion and football culture to this club just like you can. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't. I don't understand why that same sentiment isn't returned.

It's like SOME people don't see that if it's ONLY city fans who support NYCFC those whole thing will fail. You'll have less than 1 k fans. It makes no sense to not be all inclusive in a city that prides itself on its diversity. If you want MCFC New York, you'll feel really dumb when it's just the same people you see at Mad Hatters that go to games. Even Man City itself understands that it's in their own best interest for NYCFC to have its own identity.
I didn't really see anything on the fb page so I assume whoever runs it deleted those comments.
We should move forward and our part growing NYCFC as a club. Things like that are only holding us back.

Reactions: Capt.Tsubasa
Yeah, if you think MCFC supporters aren't going to bring some degree of influence to NYCFC then I'd have to disagree.

While I respect everyone's affiliations I would expect the same in return. Our supporters couldn't be more excited about that and will support NYCFC as their American club. New York Blues are as excited about this as anyone. Here is our club with a presence in our hometown. What more could we ask for?

There will be plenty of space for all sorts of influences so there's room for all. Denying us a place at the table just because you don't want Manchester influences here for this team won't work. We're not saying we're the loudest and it's our club and you better fall in line. No one is saying that. Making an issue of our club loyalty is the same as us doing it to you and that's where the issue lies.

You want to support whoever then do it. I will do the same. I will bring all my passion and football culture to this club just like you can. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't. I don't understand why that same sentiment isn't returned.
I think you slightly missed my point. My point is that, for instance, I'm not going around yelling, "We have to sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' because that's what I know." I want you to bring your experience, as should every Man City supporter, but there is a need to realize that NYCFC will have it's own unique blend of culture. It surely incorporates Man City. Shit, the color of the team is going to be Sky Blue. We're going to sing songs with 'blues' in it, just like City does, but that doesn't mean that our anthem has to be "Blue Moon" or the songs be the same. No one is saying "choose Man City or New York City" although I can see how it can come off that way, I don't think that is the intention. I think people are trying to say that we want to build something New York, together. Saying that there HAS to be Man City influence because of the affiliation is an alienation of everyone that comes in supporting another side. Take what you know about your love for MC and apply it in a productive manner to the operation of NYCFC.

The truth is, it's coming from both angles. MCFC fans shouldn't be questioning why non-MCFC fans will be supporting the club just as non-MCFC fans shouldn't be saying we want nothing to do with Man City and their supporters. We need to coexist if we want this to work and if the infighting continues and puts us at each other's throats then this is going to be a messy operation and, ultimately, a failed club. And trust me, our rivals are loving every second of this.

Reactions: BxLio91
This all came about yesterday because of one guy (a non-New Yorker) spouting off about Manchester City and purposely being negative. He also started to talk about how women don't belong at soccer games. He needed to be banned and deleted. That went on so long that it became a free for all.

I'm about NYCFC. I'm new enough to not have a passion for any of the EPL clubs, so my stance has NOTHING to do with with anti-MCFC feelings. In fact, maybe MCFC will be my EPL team because of the connection.

My only point is that the Facebook group (in my understanding) is going to be members of the NYCFC supporters club/group. Dues paid, etc. That doesn't mean season ticket holder, or day-to-day attendance, but based on what I know about supporters groups, being a member means being a super fan.

If MCFC is the reason you became an NYCFC fan, that's cool. Why can't you check that at the door though? Do you want to talk MCFC with other MCFC fans who are NYCFC fans? Come to the forums and talk about it. No one is saying you can't be a fan of both or even be a vocal fan of both, but the unofficial official SG/SC is going to be for NYCFC fans first, or at lease those will to check everything else at the door.

I'm a nobody. Just another random supporter, but the Facebook group blasts the phone with notifications all day every day. I'm cool with that... When it's NYCFC. Take everything else here.

For the record, there wasn't one single person that condemned anyone for being an MCFC fan. Only MCFC fans condemning others for being a fan of NYCFC. You can kiss the club good bye if you think that's a recipe for success.

I think MCFC will and should be an influence for the supporters here; but I think the problem if it becomes that MCFC is the only or even disproportionally the influence. Obviously the similarities will make many of their traditions attractive and useful for NYCFC. But the supporters should not hesitate to utilize other traditions from other clubs, including MCFC's hated rivals if it would benefit NYCFC. As long as that's the case, I think it'll be ok.

Personally, I'm not sure why there needs to be any adoption of any traditions from any other clubs whatsoever. There's plenty enough to go on without needing to dip into the pools of what already exists. There are plenty of songs which are currently sung but which are not specific to one team and can be adopted by anyone. There are plenty of nicknames to go around. Plenty of hashtags still available to be taken on twitter.

That said, my stance is and always will be that I am not from the USA, and will not therefore be able to have an active part in the creation of the fan culture of this club, which I believe will be more formed by what happens at games and meet-ups than what is said on this forum anyway. Therefore I intend to simply sit back and allow whatever will be to be.

That said, my stance is and always will be that I am not from the USA, and will not therefore be able to have an active part in the creation of the fan culture of this club, which I believe will be more formed by what happens at games and meet-ups than what is said on this forum anyway. Therefore I intend to simply sit back and allow whatever will be to be.

I think you're wrong. Just by being here and engaging in conversation you are a part of the culture. You, and a lot of our users, set the standard which everyone else will follow.

I'm not convinced, but I remain committed to my "we shall see" policy.

We shall see...

NYCFC will, to a large extent, be it's own club. It will attract fans and non-fans alike of other PL clubs.

But you need to remember how it is in England. One does not be, say a Liverpool fan, and become a fan of a new club set up by Manchester City and get away with it. It is just not done. Especially if it is one set up by Manchester United or one closely associated with them (*ahem* Beckham).

This is what is the major problem is in England - you will find no right-minded City fan following or supporting the new team down in Florida.

The problem stems from years of abuse and pity from others. One cannot simply ignore it nor forget it.

I would not bother yourselves with "who supports someone else" just accept the fan, and this is coming from someone who has just typed the above.

Now put yourselves in Melbourne's shoes. They have been going for four years, and have a somewhat established base. They have no idea about next year let alone the future. You have a clean slate - enjoy it.

P.S. Facebook is shit.