Amazon's Original: The Man In The High Castle?

MagnusPax

Registered
May 3, 2014
Anyone watching this pilot? Super well made. I was very impressed. For those that don't know, its based on a book from Phillip Dick, same guy who wrote the stories behind Blade Runner and Total Recall. Very cool about an alternate world where Japan and Germany won WW2. Fascinating stuff, and again very very well made. I would highly recommend it.

Anyone watching this pilot? Super well made. I was very impressed. For those that don't know, its based on a book from Phillip Dick, same guy who wrote the stories behind Blade Runner and Total Recall. Very cool about an alternate world where Japan and Germany won WW2. Fascinating stuff, and again very very well made. I would highly recommend it.

This sounds right up my alley. I need to stay up late one of these nights and plow through all the pilots on Amazon.

nice, i definitely want to read the original book. interesting premise.

The book is alright. Surprisingly short and not the kind to get your pulse racing. Like most of Dick's books, I think it was probably written more to get you thinking than to give you a storming good read. I'm kind of surprised that it's been turned into a series, tbh, because the book really doesn't have the feel of something that would translate that well into TV.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
The book is alright. Surprisingly short and not the kind to get your pulse racing. Like most of Dick's books, I think it was probably written more to get you thinking than to give you a storming good read. I'm kind of surprised that it's been turned into a series, tbh, because the book really doesn't have the feel of something that would translate that well into TV.
If you remotely liked the premise of the book, I think you would love this series. Of course its only a pilot, so Amazon won't order a season of the show unless it gets enough votes and watches.

I am curious about what some of you thought after watching it. I would like to discuss but I don't want to ruin anything. Let me know in this thread when you have seen it.

I can't get that creepy edelweiss intro song out of my head!

Reactions: LostAnvil
If you remotely liked the premise of the book, I think you would love this series. Of course its only a pilot, so Amazon won't order a season of the show unless it gets enough votes and watches.

I am curious about what some of you thought after watching it. I would like to discuss but I don't want to ruin anything. Let me know in this thread when you have seen it.

I can't get that creepy edelweiss intro song out of my head!

Give me a little time to watch it - I might not get around to watching a full-hour episode for a couple of days. I'm surprised that the video isn't region-locked though. Usually, stuff like this would have a lovely message on the screen when you try to play it, saying "This content is unavailable in your region".

As for Edelweiss, I grew up having to watch The Sound of Music every Christmas, so that song will never be creepy to me.

Give me a little time to watch it - I might not get around to watching a full-hour episode for a couple of days. I'm surprised that the video isn't region-locked though. Usually, stuff like this would have a lovely message on the screen when you try to play it, saying "This content is unavailable in your region".

As for Edelweiss, I grew up having to watch The Sound of Music every Christmas, so that song will never be creepy to me.
Oh you'll change your mind. My wife is a German-speaking connoisseur of German culture. Even she was creeped out.

I watched it with my daughter this morning because of this thread. She didn't care much for it. I thought it was great. I haven't read the book so I went in knowing only what was presented here. My only complaint is that it's only the pilot episode.

I'm not a member of Amazon Prime, so if the show does get picked up please let me/us know in this thread.

Reactions: MagnusPax
I watched it with my daughter this morning because of this thread. She didn't care much for it. I thought it was great. I haven't read the book so I went in knowing only what was presented here. My only complaint is that it's only the pilot episode.

I'm not a member of Amazon Prime, so if the show does get picked up please let me/us know in this thread.
I thought it was amazing. The acting, script and the scenery were top notch. It really looked like a 60's in a Nazi/Imperial Japan controlled USA. Since the characters had been changed from the book, did the ending surprise you? I am glad they toned down the hole I,Ching and Americana parts that Dick seemed to love in his book. I think I would like to know more about what is happening in the midwest and this Free Rocky mountain neutral zone. I also wonder when the series would show the death of Hitler.

I watched it last night and loved it. Hope it gets picked up because I need to watch more. I love anything about WW2, so the idea of the allies losing the war is so interesting to me. So many great things to think about, like is baseball still around? Why are there American vets that are now nazi police? What happened to the president and the government? All executed? So many little things that were shown that were spin-tingling like seeing the swastika on the Times Square TV. I assume there are no courts or justice system.

It's also beautifully shot and the music is creepy. Love it all.

So good.

I liked a few of the Amazon Prime shows this season but this was definitely on a different level than the rest.

It was probably the best of the Amazon Pilots this year. Point of Honor was terrible.

I'd like to see MitHC go to series.

It was probably the best of the Amazon Pilots this year. Point of Honor was terrible.

I'd like to see MitHC go to series.
Glad you liked it.
Have any of you read the book? Is he really a double agent?

Are any of the other Amazon pilots any good? My kids like a few of them. I thought the After had some promise (that one is from the group of originals from 2014).