Andres Mendoza Will Be Waived

Don't get this at all. This guy was touted as a started from day one of signing.
We were all wondering about him the last two weeks, hoping he'd get the call for our next game. Now this?
I mean you sign a guy off the street and start him after week 2 and Mendoza, someone you scouted, can't even break into your lineup.
Does anyone with this club know what the fuck they're doing? Serious question.

It's one thing when @Midas Mulligan or I say something negative. Very telling for you to say this. Speaks volumes.

I'm all for culling dead weight and all, but we've got such a slim squad as is. Was the guy touted as the future of our back line not even good enough to keep as coverage until the transfer window opened up? Also, how does putting a player on waivers work with the salary cap? Are we still on the hook space-wise for him after he leaves? If so, makes this even sillier.

My only logical conclusion is they waived him to make room for someone else. I think NYCFC maybe over the new 28 man roster limit. Especially with recent Allen signing.

Reactions: adam
My only logical conclusion is they waived him to make room for someone else. I think NYCFC maybe over the new 28 man roster limit. Especially with recent Allen signing.
Saunders
Meara
Johansen
Fitzgerald (4)

KWS
Hernandez
Facey
Wingert
Brovsky
Calle
Brandt
Allen
Williams
John (10)

Mix
Poku
Jacobson
Grabavoy
Ballouchy
Mcnamara
Velasquez
Alvarez (8)

Mullins
Villa
Nemec
Shelton (4)

26, who am I missing?

EDIT: Dunn and Taylor, there is 28

Reactions: Paul and sbrylski
This was a quote a couple of weeks back. Sometimes you can't teach stupid.

Basically Kries thinks he's a talented idiot and if you watched him in the preseason he was a destroyer but he also was out of control. He has a lot of athletic ability but isn't smart enough to play well and contribute. He just isn't quality enough for this team and that is tough to say considering there isn't much quality at the moment.

idiot-2.gif

From today's NY Post:
“He, like a lot of players that come here from South America and from relatively obscure places, needs time to adjust. And he’s showing he really needs time to adjust,’’ Kreis had admitted earlier in the season.
He wouldn't be the first athlete to come to New York and get overwhelmed by the city. Being away from friends and family plus being in a foreign country and culture probably makes it that much tougher on a young guy.
http://nypost.com/2015/05/13/new-york-city-fc-waives-young-defender-andres-mendoza/

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
From today's NY Post:

He wouldn't be the first athlete to come to New York and get overwhelmed by the city. Being away from friends and family plus being in a foreign country and culture probably makes it that much tougher on a young guy.
http://nypost.com/2015/05/13/new-york-city-fc-waives-young-defender-andres-mendoza/

I really don't agree with that point of view. It's difficult, yes, but this guys are professionals. They spend a lot of their time traveling (playing away games). There are cities in Latin America. He has plenty of Spanish speaking teammates. Adaptation can take a toll in his current form, but it's something that could be solved with time.

What I think is that a) He wasn't properly scouted by NYCFC (maybe, he was scouted by CFG) and he doesn't fit Kreis particular needs at this time. b)He was hyped by the front office (specially during Lampardgate), creating expectations above his playing level.

Heres the rule:
(K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)

A club with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured

player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the club has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

(L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)

A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the club has budget space). The club will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player is not permitted to play a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.

An international player with a season-ending or short-term injury may be replaced with an international player.

NOTE: No changes may be made to a club's roster during the period beginning on September 16, 2015 (day after Roster Freeze Date) through the day after MLS Cup. Nevertheless, a team may obtain players in accordance with the Extreme Hardship Rules and procedures to replace players who are injured or otherwise legitimately unavailable after the Roster Freeze Date.

Reactions: Lasker
Heres the rule:
(K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)

A club with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured

player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the club has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

(L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)

A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the club has budget space). The club will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player is not permitted to play a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.

An international player with a season-ending or short-term injury may be replaced with an international player.

NOTE: No changes may be made to a club's roster during the period beginning on September 16, 2015 (day after Roster Freeze Date) through the day after MLS Cup. Nevertheless, a team may obtain players in accordance with the Extreme Hardship Rules and procedures to replace players who are injured or otherwise legitimately unavailable after the Roster Freeze Date.

so, the tl;dr is that Tony Taylor and George John don't count for the roster, but they do count towards the salary cap. And some kind of decision needs to be made about whether to put John back on the roster or not by September 16. Is that right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
so, the tl;dr is that they don't count for the roster, but they do count towards the salary cap. And some kind of decision needs to be made about whether to put George John back on the roster or not by September 16. Is that right?
Sounds about right, but also says that Mendoza was not a roster size casualty, since we could have put Taylor or John on the injury list and kept him. I wonder i fhe has to go through waivers before an outright transfer to Wilmington?

so, the tl;dr is that they don't count for the roster, but they do count towards the salary cap. And some kind of decision needs to be made about whether to put George John back on the roster or not by September 16. Is that right?

Damn, there goes the theory that we were clearing cap room for a signing as well. Looks like we are really just giving up on him. Another bust. Thanks CFG.

I'm Ecuadorian and I was following his team for the last 3 years. While Andres Mendoza was playing, his team was in the top 5 in the Ecuadorian league for 3 consecutive years. He was one of the brightest players and if he had not gone to NYCFC, he probably would have at least one call into the National team. He had quality, more than enough to be in the starting 11 of an MLS team. This adaptation thing, it's BS. I feel like the coach just did not like him for some reason. He's much better than the defenders that are playing right now.

I'm Ecuadorian and I was following his team for the last 3 years. While Andres Mendoza was playing, his team was in the top 5 in the Ecuadorian league for 3 consecutive years. He was one of the brightest players and if he had not gone to NYCFC, he probably would have at least one call into the National team. He had quality, more than enough to be in the starting 11 of an MLS team. This adaptation thing, it's BS. I feel like the coach just did not like him for some reason. He's much better than the defenders that are playing right now.

Thanks for your insight, but there has to be more to it than just "the coach didn't like him." If he's as good as you say, and everyone around here was really excited after watching his game tape, they would surely work around minor issues. There must be some relatively serious reason why Mendoza just didn't fit in New York.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
Ouch, this makes me feel worse.

Reactions: Gavin23