Away - 09/30 Houston

We have a Mix thread for a reason guys and gals.
Well, I don't think this was a Mix convo. It was a Vieira one, started by a guy who pretty much only posts in matchday, then FootyLovin crawled his ass for it (eta: probably because he knows we're on to him as the cause for it) , and I provided a counterpoint with an actual objective basis. Not a big deal. Does it really fuck up your life for people to post about it here?

Reactions: Angela Miller
I'd love to hear more about Vieira's reputation from eds. Any more info you can give would be appreciated. I think he started out strong here, and has gotten worse as the season has gone on. Mendoza at center mid is one of the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Oh, what's his rep in evaluating goal keeper talent?

Is Tom in Fairfield CT actually Pall Diskerud?

Mendoza played CAM, LW and RW on Friday night. He played well. He plays better centrally than he does as a wide player. You yourself have stated multiple times that Frank Lampard really doesn't play as a CAM here. He plays as a CF. If that's the case, and if Mendoza was the direct sub for Lampard, doesn't that mean Mendoza played as a CF on Friday night too?

The SAP does not work at all on Verizon. God damnit I'm going to have to learn Spanish.
I like the Spanish announcers more than the English unimas ones, even if I don't understand anything, it sounds more exciting, and when I do pay attention they talk about more interesting things than the English guys. (also the Goal call is WAYY better in Spanish). Just my opinion

Reactions: adam
I like the Spanish announcers more than the English unimas ones, even if I don't understand anything, it sounds more exciting, and when I do pay attention they talk about more interesting things than the English guys. (also the Goal call is WAYY better in Spanish). Just my opinion
Anyone is better than Ramses.

Okay, any changes in the lineup from last week? Start RJ? Do we rest anyone in that heat?

Assuming Mendoza is hurt I'd like to see RJ and Bravo start. Let RJ and Mata attack with extra defensive coverage from Bravo to compensate. Another option would be Shelton/TMac/Harrison in some configuration of wings and CAM. My fear with that is PV will convince himself we need Hernandez at RB to provide defensive coverage. Regardless of what we go with we will need speed. Houston is young and fast.

Assuming Mendoza is out, I'd like Jack in at the other CAM spot and continue to start TMac out on the wing. They have the flexibility to change during the match as we saw out of Mendoza and TMac on Friday, so we can expect that to continue.

I'd like to see RJ at RB, but not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: Ulrich
Assuming Mendoza is hurt I'd like to see RJ and Bravo start. Let RJ and Mata attack with extra defensive coverage from Bravo to compensate. Another option would be Shelton/TMac/Harrison in some configuration of wings and CAM. My fear with that is PV will convince himself we need Hernandez at RB to provide defensive coverage. Regardless of what we go with we will need speed. Houston is young and fast.

----Matarrita----Villa----Shelton----
---------McNamara--Pirlo-------------
-------------------Iraola------------------
--RJ--Brillant--Mena--Hernandez--
-----------You Know Who--------------

----Matarrita----Villa----Shelton----
---------McNamara--Pirlo-------------
-------------------Iraola------------------
--RJ--Brillant--Mena--Hernandez--
-----------You Know Who--------------
Leaving Harrison on the bench and moving RJ & Mata out of position?? Why not use TT at left wing *or* Harrison, and play the defenders where they're supposed to be?

Leaving Harrison on the bench and moving RJ & Mata out of position?? Why not use TT at left wing *or* Harrison, and play the defenders where they're supposed to be?

I want to be innovative. A more rest heavy lineup would be:

-----Taylor---Villa----Shelton-------
-------McNamara--Pirlo--------------
-----------------Bravo-------------------
--Mata---Brillant--Mena-------RJ--

I think Mata needs a rest though

And NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan Please change the date!

No keeper is definitely being innovative.

Houston Dynamo v New York City
BBVA Compass Stadium (8:00pm ET)
REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
AR1: Kevin Klinger
AR2: Logan Brown
4TH: Ismail Elfath

Sibiga was the fourth official for out last match against Chicago.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not sure lineup matters anymore, we play so fluid. But McNamara ended up playing the most in the middle last week, despite Mendoza technically starting there, according to the heatmaps on whoscored.com.

By the way, if it wasn't obvious before (there's been a lot of bickering about Lampard shirking his midfield duties), it's pretty certain that Vieira has quietly shifted us to a 3-3-4 system that he hinted at trying way back in ~May.

nA9g4vI.png

Two things to notice here. (1) McNamara played even with Villa over the course of the game. It is clear that there are four players up top that, at best, only occasionally drop back into midfield duties. (2) Matarrita played higher than Iraola and Pirlo. He's a midfielder that tracks back a little extra to shift us to a 4-man backline when needed. This also makes clear why Hernandez is playing over Allen. His spot is as much or more RCB as it is RFB.

My lineup for Houston:

F: Harrison, Villa, Shelton
M: Pirlo, Iraola, ^McNamara
D: ^Matarrita, Mena, Brillant, Hernandez

^Indicates the player is often playing up a line.

I'm not sure lineup matters anymore, we play so fluid. But McNamara ended up playing the most in the middle last week, despite Mendoza technically starting there, according to the heatmaps on whoscored.com.

By the way, if it wasn't obvious before (there's been a lot of bickering about Lampard shirking his midfield duties), it's pretty certain that Vieira has quietly shifted us to a 3-3-4 system that he hinted at trying way back in ~May.

nA9g4vI.png

Two things to notice here. (1) McNamara played even with Villa over the course of the game. It is clear that there are four players up top that, at best, only occasionally drop back into midfield duties. (2) Matarrita played higher than Iraola and Pirlo. He's a midfielder that tracks back a little extra to shift us to a 4-man backline when needed. This also makes clear why Hernandez is playing over Allen. His spot is as much or more RCB as it is RFB.

My lineup for Houston:

F: Harrison, Villa, Shelton
M: Pirlo, Iraola, ^McNamara
D: ^Matarrita, Mena, Brillant, Hernandez

^Indicates the player is often playing up a line.
If RJ was starting at RB, we could play a 2-4-4. Now that would be ballsy! Probably make Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan all warm inside.

Yeah IDK how i missed that.