Away - 3/4 Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in control 65-70% possession and Khiry scores on a ball hoofed over the top and NYCFC loses 1-0 even outshooting SKC 17-2

Funny you say that, guess the teams and scoreline based on these stats from a game last season.

Team A - Team B
Shots | 7 - 14
Shots on Target | 1 - 7
Possession | 31% - 69%
Fouls | 10 - 12
Yellow Cards | 1 - 2
Red Cards | 0 - 0
Offside | 4 - 5
Corners | 1 - 9

Funny you say that, guess the teams and scoreline based on these stats from a game last season.

Team A - Team B
Shots | 7 - 14
Shots on Target | 1 - 7
Possession | 31% - 69%
Fouls | 10 - 12
Yellow Cards | 1 - 2
Red Cards | 0 - 0
Offside | 4 - 5
Corners | 1 - 9

I don’t think it’s the 1-0 win at home in Sept (in the rain) against SKC, so I’ll wager that it was a 1-0 loss to Orlando last year (ORL being team A and NYCFC being team B)?

I don’t think it’s the 1-0 win at home in Sept (in the rain) against SKC, so I’ll wager that it was a 1-0 loss to Orlando last year (ORL being team A and NYCFC being team B)?

Yeah, 1st game of the 2017 season. 1-0 loss to Orlando. Out shot them 14-7, out shot them on goal 7-1 with 38% more possession and we lose.

Reactions: canchon
We always played him on the wing so we rarely saw it but it does scare me that Khiry's most useful deployment is out running backlines to balls played over the top. He can take as heavy a touch as he wants when he's got nothing but 30 yards of daylight between him and the keeper with our highline CBs chasing from behind. Assuming SKC plays a pack it in then counter approach Khiry may be a bit more dangerous than we are giving him credit for.
I thought the one thing that Khiry was actually decent at was winning long balls and nodding them down as a target man.

Everything after that though.....:confused:

Reactions: FootyLovin
I thought the one thing that Khiry was actually decent at was winning long balls and nodding them down as a target man.

Everything after that though.....:confused:

I think he can do this pretty consistently:

As long as he's in the middle of the field and running at goal he's decent, if he's along the sideline pointed towards the corner with his head down, that's another story...

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I think he can do this pretty consistently:

As long as he's in the middle of the field and running at goal he's decent, if he's along the sideline pointed towards the corner with his head down, that's another story...

Patrick Mullins is a good MLS center forward. Maybe Khiry Shelton can become a good MLS center forward himself.

David Villa. A blessing, not a curse.

Not sure how I feel about this game. Our last preseason game wasn’t the best showing. I think we start the season a bit rough before the guys figure each other out.

Reactions: Goodfella
Honestly barring any goals given up straight from our defense I do not see why this will not be a 2-1 / 2-0 win for the good guys.

As for the starting line-up does anyone else feel like considering we will be on the front foot early with them presumably sitting back on D think Wallace should come off the bench in this one. I feel like Lewis might be a better start to provide more going forward before bringing in Wallace as a more defensive mid/wing to wrap things up.

Honestly barring any goals given up straight from our defense I do not see why this will not be a 2-1 / 2-0 win for the good guys.

As for the starting line-up does anyone else feel like considering we will be on the front foot early with them presumably sitting back on D think Wallace should come off the bench in this one. I feel like Lewis might be a better start to provide more going forward before bringing in Wallace as a more defensive mid/wing to wrap things up.
Stop with the logic. We haven’t even started the season. Based on what I saw in preseason I’d like to see someone else fight for that spot. We just got very little down the wings. Idk if it’s PV not wanting to give away too much or if we’re taking a different approach this year. Need to see more from Medina and Wallace. When we did see Tajouri out there he was very good at taking on defenders and aggressive with moving the ball up.
But again, enough with the logic. Let PV do what he does best.

Stop with the logic. We haven’t even started the season. Based on what I saw in preseason I’d like to see someone else fight for that spot. We just got very little down the wings. Idk if it’s PV not wanting to give away too much or if we’re taking a different approach this year. Need to see more from Medina and Wallace. When we did see Tajouri out there he was very good at taking on defenders and aggressive with moving the ball up.
I have a feeling Wallace starts the first few games but then gets taken over by Tajouri after 2-3 games, after seeing Tajouri come on as a sub and create some chances at the end of the game. Or maybe he comes on for Medina on the other side. I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling Tajouri replaces the productivity of Jack and then adds some more down one of the wings.

Still don't feel Lewis gets a starting spot, definitely not in the beginning of the season (first ten games).

To be honest I am not to sure what your getting at with the "logic" stuff. I fully trust what decisions are made by PV compared to most people on this forum who bash him after every late sub/no sub etc. Also I would like to think that preseason is preseason and there is not much to worry about a handful of meaningless fitness games where guys aren't going at 100%. Our wings will sort themselves out as time goes by but my comment was purely for this game as this is a thread for the SKC game ya know...

Also have no problem with switching out Lewis in my comment for Tajouri as he is quality

Reactions: Schwallacus
To be honest I am not to sure what your getting at with the "logic" stuff. I fully trust what decisions are made by PV compared to most people on this forum who bash him after every late sub/no sub etc. Also I would like to think that preseason is preseason and there is not much to worry about a handful of meaningless fitness games where guys aren't going at 100%. Our wings will sort themselves out as time goes by but my comment was purely for this game as this is a thread for the SKC game ya know...

Also have no problem with switching out Lewis in my comment for Tajouri as he is quality
It was in regard to Lewis. PV picked Shelton and Tmac and even Mikey as subs/18 over him last year countless times. We all knew he was a better player but for some reason he is not viewed in high regard by his manager. Lewis would be the logical choice based on what we see but he hasn’t been in Patrick’s eyes.

Not sure how I feel about this game. Our last preseason game wasn’t the best showing. I think we start the season a bit rough before the guys figure each other out.

With 10/12 starters returning one would think the needed figuring out would be minimal but I agree it didn't look that way in preseason. The sad part is we clearly prioritized continuity across our starting 11 over upgrades, the primary benefit for us should be familiarity yet the last preseason game looked more like a bunch of brand new guys playing a brand new system.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
With 10/12 starters returning one would think the needed figuring out would be minimal but I agree it didn't look that way in preseason. The sad part is we clearly prioritized continuity across our starting 11 over upgrades, the primary benefit for us should be familiarity yet the last preseason game looked more like a bunch of brand new guys playing a brand new system.
It’s really strange. The only thing I can attribute it to is players not being of necessary quality to play the system. The majority of the game I heard PV yelling ‘faster faster, move the ball faster INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE’

Status
Not open for further replies.