Away - August 20 - Red Bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what's the deal with ESPN+? Does it put NYCFC matches in our local market or it has to be YES? If it has to be YES the only option is HULU.

in my past experience, ESPN+ will blackout games in local markets. so it will not let you watch since it will be on YES.

I might have to re-subscribe to ESPN+ for the remainder of the season and VPN my way to watching games...

Reactions: Marito
Does anybody know what's the deal with ESPN+? Does it put NYCFC matches in our local market or it has to be YES? If it has to be YES the only option is HULU.

Has to be YES or streaming on FOX Sports GO if you're in NY.

I made the switch to the shit that is Hulu back in March, with no sports until a couple weeks ago.
Is Hulu really not good? I like YoutubeTV a lot. But dropping YES really hurts. I'm trying to decide if I should make a switch, or for those NYCFC games on YES, find VPN options and deal with it.

Can't you watch YES on FSGO? I was annoyed SLING dropped YES too. And now they dropped the NFL. These streaming services are really dropping the ball on sports networks. (pun intended)

ive tried VPN with espn+ before and never got it to work. Which is the one you guys use?

Just find a friend with traditional cable service that's willing to share a username and password. I love YouTube TV and was annoyed when they dropped YES. Haven't really had to worry about local sports until recently. Luckily a friend helped me out. Now I just use the FoxSportsGo app.

Reactions: Jock
ive tried VPN with espn+ before and never got it to work. Which is the one you guys use?

I've tried multiple VPN services. Was never able to find a free VPN service that worked. I settled on ExpressVPN cause they have a lot of servers and change their IPs enough so they don't get blocked easily and even if they do, you can switch servers until you get one that works. That was last year though.. who knows if it will work this time around.

Can't you watch YES on FSGO? I was annoyed SLING dropped YES too. And now they dropped the NFL. These streaming services are really dropping the ball on sports networks. (pun intended)

FSGO requires a TV service login. So, if you have YTTV, you'd have to log into FSGO using YTTV. FSGO will recognize YTTV doesn't have YES and it won't let you watch.

Just find a friend with traditional cable service that's willing to share a username and password. I love YouTube TV and was annoyed when they dropped YES. Haven't really had to worry about local sports until recently. Luckily a friend helped me out. Now I just use the FoxSportsGo app.

share :)

A lot of these streaming services launch with an unsustainable business model with the sole objective of gaining market share. Over time, in order to be get to profitability, they have to either a.) Raise prices or b.) Cut costs (content) or most commonly, a bit of both. Usually, the value proposition diminishes at least slightly.
I'm more optimistic that the cable companies will survive than most.

Reactions: adam
I’ve used ESPN+ in the past but I’m also not in a restricted market. It’s a shame that with all this going on it’s easier to watch foreign leagues than our own domestic one.

Reactions: gbservis
I’ve used ESPN+ in the past but I’m also not in a restricted market. It’s a shame that with all this going on it’s easier to watch foreign leagues than our own domestic one.

i feel the blackout kinda "makes sense" with the likes of NFL/ MLB/ NBA since they bring bigger ratings shown locally. but for MLS it needs more eyeballs for those games not on national TV.

There's nothing hard about watching this. If you live in New York, you have to subscribe to YES in order to get their programming. It's super simple. If you live around the country, you have to subscribe to ESPN+.

I haven't had to try one yet, so I'm not sure.

I'm likely going to try with my work computer and corporate vpn to start since we are a Virginia-based company and I think it uses my location as the DC-area. So hopefully that'll work. Otherwise, I'll definitely be looking to use some VPN service on my personal computer.

There's nothing hard about watching this. If you live in New York, you have to subscribe to YES in order to get their programming. It's super simple. If you live around the country, you have to subscribe to ESPN+.
At least where I live there isn’t a single sport that requires you to subscribe to watch the team.

Ronnie said Maxi is a "game time decision" cause he's still dealing with lingering calf issues.

Gideon still out with his knee (yeesh)
Isi is doing individual training but still out with this hamstring.

At least where I live there isn’t a single sport that requires you to subscribe to watch the team.

That's not true. Almost every sports team in the country is on a regional sports network -- and you have to be a subscriber to that channel to watch those games.

That's not true. Almost every sports team in the country is on a regional sports network -- and you have to be a subscriber to that channel to watch those games.
What I mean by that is I have a basic cable package (no hbo/showtime) and all the games are televised. Baseball and hockey on Sun sports (our version of Yes) and magic games (100 miles away) are on regional fox sports channel. Football is on on the local affiliate as well. Different market than NY the with a lot less competition which would explain things.

Is Hulu really not good? I like YoutubeTV a lot. But dropping YES really hurts. I'm trying to decide if I should make a switch, or for those NYCFC games on YES, find VPN options and deal with it.
Hulu is okay. I can't speak for Gator, but I think it's functional to a point but not great. I originally had Sling but stopped after they dropped Fox Sports, essentially my only reason to watch it was for BuLi (Bayern) games. Hulu had it and was cheaper at the time than Youtube TV so I signed up for Hulu Live around a year ago. Now the price has gone up and Fox lost the BuLi rights to ESPN+, so I'm starting to think there's really no reason for me to keep spending $60+ a month on it. Sporting wise I really only watch BuLi, PL, MLS, CL, and the NHL. Don't follow baseball or basketball. Follow NFL but mostly for fantasy football reasons, no specific team. May downgrade to the regular commercial free option just for streaming older shows/movies. My only minor concern now is how to watch PL since Hulu also has NBCSN. May just sign up for peacock (is that NBC's app?) or find another method.

In short, Hulu is not terrible but not great. Depends what you're looking for your streaming service to do. It is nice that it has multiple levels of payment depending on what you want, be it just streaming shows/movies or wanting live TV as well.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Status
Not open for further replies.