Books. For the literati among us.

Finishing up 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'. It was laying around the house and I had nothing else to read. Not the easiest read given the dialect but some parts are laugh out loud funny.

I once made the mistake of recommending Huck Finn to a foreign student who was looking for books that "most american students would have read in high school". I didn't even think about the the dialect makes it near-unreadable for a non-native speaker. I don't think they made it ten pages.

I once made the mistake of recommending Huck Finn to a foreign student who was looking for books that "most american students would have read in high school". I didn't even think about the the dialect makes it near-unreadable for a non-native speaker. I don't think they made it ten pages.

I really had to focus when reading it and sometimes re-read sections

Recently finished Angels of Music by Kim Newman. It's essentially Charlie's Angels in the 1870's- to early 1900's. Wherein the Phantom of the Opera runs a non governmental spy/detective agency using only female agents mostly composed of characters drawn from other classic literature of the time period. I liked it a lot.

I just finished The Hike by Drew Magary (Deadspin). It was very absurd in a very fun way.

After finally finishing A Brief History of Seven Killings, I've read

Fidel Castro: A Biography, by Volker Skierka. Good and informative. The writing gets lost sometimes, but not sure if that's the original or the translation.

Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern. The book based on the twitter feed that eventually became a tv show (what a world). Quick time-waster.

Perdido Street Station, by China Mielville. SciFi/Fantasy/Steampunky. While reading it, it seemed like there was an awful lot of world building for a one off novel, but I guess it actually is the first book in a series. Not sure I'd invest the effort to read book 2, unless I come across it free on the kindle down the road. It was fine.

After finally finishing A Brief History of Seven Killings, I've read

Fidel Castro: A Biography, by Volker Skierka. Good and informative. The writing gets lost sometimes, but not sure if that's the original or the translation.

Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern. The book based on the twitter feed that eventually became a tv show (what a world). Quick time-waster.

Perdido Street Station, by China Mielville. SciFi/Fantasy/Steampunky. While reading it, it seemed like there was an awful lot of world building for a one off novel, but I guess it actually is the first book in a series. Not sure I'd invest the effort to read book 2, unless I come across it free on the kindle down the road. It was fine.
Seven Killings has been on my list for a while. How was it?

Also, I find Mielville frustrating. It's like his books are nearly really good but somehow fall short. Felt that way about The City & The City and Railsea.

Reactions: joe
Seven Killings has been on my list for a while. How was it?

Also, I find Mielville frustrating. It's like his books are nearly really good but somehow fall short. Felt that way about The City & The City and Railsea.
It's good. Well executed and a lot to like about it, but it's also really violent so I rarely felt like reading more than 2-3 chapters at a go.

Those are pretty much my feelings on Mielville as well.

Reactions: FootyLovin
BUMPING myself here

Just started reading "Angels With Dirty Faces: How Argentinian soccer Defined A Nation And Changed The Game Forever" by Jonathan Wilson Who gets a mention right in the prologue for his title winning goal for Velez in 09? But our very own Maxi Moralez !

BUMPING myself here

Just started reading "Angels With Dirty Faces: How Argentinian soccer Defined A Nation And Changed The Game Forever" by Jonathan Wilson Who gets a mention right in the prologue for his title winning goal for Velez in 09? But our very own Maxi Moralez !

You're probably also aware of these already, but Wilson's other volumes are also excellent - particulary 'The Outsider' about Goalkeepers.

Also a fictional / book that I always go back to is : The Damned United - by David Peace. - an account of Brian Clough's ill fated spell at Leeds.

Reactions: LostAnvil
has anyone read any of Haruki Murakami's books? I read 'Norwegian Wood' last year and am halfway through 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' - I think most have tried IQ84. I'm really digging his writing.

I've just started tucking into Gorky Park. It's been a while since I've read a classic of literature - I spend most of my time reading historical factual books.

how are most of you guys reading . . . physical book or kindle / nook / online?

I'm still an old fashioned, knuckle-dragging page turner, but I'm thinking of getting a kindle / kindle paperwhite . . .
iPhone. Used to buy paperback, but got tired of either carrying it around, or getting frustrated not having it with me when wiring someplace. Always have my phone, so problem solved.