Breaking: Altidore To Toronto Fc

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014
Move is a trade for Defoe

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-completes-swap-deal-altidore-to-toronto-defoe-to-sunderland-1.181889

TSN has learned Toronto FC has agreed to swap striker Jermain Defoe to Sunderland AFC of the Barclays Premier League with US Men's National team striker Jozy Altidore and cash heading to Toronto. The cash amount received by Toronto FC has not been disclosed at this time but is believed to be significant.
It comes as no surprise Defoe heads back to England after just one season in Major League Soccer. Defoe, 32, preferred to be in England for personal and professional reasons. The striker joined Toronto FC last January from Tottenham Hotspur for a reported $10 million transfer fee on a four year deal. Reports out of England indicate Defoe has signed a 3 and a half year deal worth £80,000 per week ($129,000) with Sunderland.
Defoe had a dream start to his Major League Soccer career scoring eight goals in his first nine games. Toronto FC established themselves as an early playoff threat. Defoe seemingly became unsettled after being left out of England's World Cup squad. A nagging groin injury and shift in focus ruined his second half of the season. Returning for treatment in England and continual questions about his future were unneeded distractions. Toronto FC didn't win a game Defoe played in after July 12th.
Defoe's first and only MLS season reads 11 goals in 19 games. His two-goal opening day performance in a win in Seattle and a crucial missed late-season penalty in a home loss to 10-man Houston Dynamo will serve as the high and low points of his tenure. Sunderland win the Defoe sweepstakes with four other Premier League teams interested. The Black Cats have only scored 18 goals in 21 league games played, the second worst tally in the Premier League. Defoe joins a Sunderland team 16th place in the Premier League table, just one point out of the relegation zone.
In Altidore, Toronto FC gets a player seven years Defoe's junior and a motivated striker to resurrect his club career. It is believed Altidore has signed a four year contract with Toronto FC (financial details have not been disclosed) and will be a Designated Player. Toronto FC see Altidore as a young player (25) suited to MLS having significant value in the North American game. Altidore failed to settle at Sunderland after a $10 million move from AZ Alkmaar of the Eredivisie in the summer of 2013. In 2012-13, Altidore helped AZ to their first Dutch Cup title in 31 years, scoring 23 goals in league play. Altidore is a mainstay with the US Men's National team having scored 25 goals in 76 appearances. The striker suffered a hamstring injury in the United States opening match against Ghana in the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, ruining his competition. Altidore is good friend's with Toronto FC star midfielder Michael Bradley, who is said to be "very, very happy" with the acquisition of the striker. Altidore returns to MLS after scoring 15 goals in 37 appearances for the New York Red Bulls between 2006-08. It was reported the Portland Timbers and New York Red Bulls were in pursuit of Altidore before Toronto FC emerged as favourites. A swap move for Defoe was always in the cards with Sunderland's need for reinforcements up top. TSN reported talks between the two clubs were progressing last Friday. The deal fell into place after additional financial considerations were agreed upon.
TSN can also confirm negotiations to bring Juventus attacking midfielder/striker Sebastian Giovinco to Toronto FC continue to advance. The Italian's contract with his current club runs until July 1st. A fourth designated player spot is needed for any deal to be consummated or current Toronto FC striker Gilberto would have to be dealt to open another Designated Player spot. Any potential move for Giovinco is far from completed, but there is belief the signature of the player and a requisite deal are attainable. Giovinco, 27, has seen limited first team chances with Juventus this season, starting only two Serie A games. He has featured for country 20 times and would represent the type of elite playmaker required at Toronto FC. Giovinco has a superior work rate and talent to help Toronto FC bolster an attack lacking a creative spark in the attacking third. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Board of Directors would have to approve any move with salary demands said to be in the $7 million range per season.

This is great for TFC. It will take a world of weight off of Bradley's shoulders knowing he'll have someone who is talented, motivated and eager to make an impression.

T Tom in Fairfield CT I think Jozy will do fine. He is a great player who just couldn't cut it in England.

I'm also probably foolishly optimistic.
I just don't see a great player being THAT overwhelmingly bad in England

I just don't see a great player being THAT overwhelmingly bad in England
Plenty of good players have been bad in England. Not as bad as Jozy I guess, but I think he will be a hit on his return. I think its a completely different gig playing with the pressures of the English game after a bad start compared to playing in your home league.

I honestly think we should have went for him as I think he will be a big hit next season. Although, I'm probably wrong.

Don't forget Landon bombed in Germany.
Dempsey bombed in his first season back in MLS.

Unfortunately for Jozy, there was no patience for him at Sunderland because Sunderland sucks right now.

Jozy has done great things with the USMNT against good competition, which to me suggests its just the team.

envelopes.gif

?

Impact might be getting ready to make some paper trading their allocation spot. I don't know y but I want to see him at DCU

Reactions: Kjbert
Impact might be getting ready to make some paper trading their allocation spot. I don't know y but I want to see him at DCU
Gilberto to Montreal. Gets TFC the allocation spot and unloads Gilberto for Giovinco signing. Possible?

Reactions: Paul
Apologies as I am not well-versed in MLS rules yet but putting aside the exceptions to the purported rule (Demsey and Bradley), how would allocation order work in this case? (Here's the most current allocation order). Would TFC have to make deals with the five teams ahead of it in order to secure Altidore? Or if the other teams were not interested, it would just go down the line until there's a taker?

Apologies as I am not well-versed in MLS rules yet but putting aside the exceptions to the purported rule (Demsey and Bradley), how would allocation order work in this case? (Here's the most current allocation order). Would TFC have to make deals with the five teams ahead of it in order to secure Altidore? Or if the other teams were not interested, it would just go down the line until there's a taker?
Make a deal with the five teams ahead of them or make a deal with the Impact, who is now number one on the list. But that goes for anybody and if anyone want Jozy they have to make a deal with Montreal Impact.

Reactions: danger
Make a deal with the five teams ahead of them or make a deal with the Impact, who is now number one on the list. But that goes for anybody and if anyone want Jozy they have to make a deal with Montreal Impact.
Only if montreal want him instead.