Breaking: Altidore To Toronto Fc

Still think Toronto will be mediocre at best. You don't win anything based on DP's alone. Ask our coach.
They seem to be ignoring the rather HUGE problem of defense. A rather average goalie, rookie and below-par defenders (and Caldwell, their best defender) and then you have Bradley playing essentially as a attacking mid. Not very intelligent.

Reactions: whill4
Altidore looks thrilled to be in Toronto
10303799_10152527407371805_6784537056292108964_n.jpg

Reactions: adam
Notice that TFC drafted like 4 defenders today. Sure, bulking up your defensive squad is good, but its quality over quantity here. Will they ever learn up there?

Reactions: Kjbert
Notice that TFC drafted like 4 defenders today. Sure, bulking up your defensive squad is good, but its quality over quantity here. Will they ever learn up there?

The commentators were also saying that someone from the Toronto FO said they had noticed that teams that had success in the past have done so with a core of players from the draft so they wanted to move in that direction. I guess they didn't notice that none of those successful teams was built around a core of players that were all drafted in the same year.

Jozy is getting 5 years/$30m (what the fuck?)
Their willing to spend money. For all their chest-thumping by our ManCity friends on here, we have yet to see ManCity or Yankees dish out big dough except for the expansion fees. I'm still waiting for Villa to be making more than $60k like it says on the players union site.

This is great for the league. Who cares what he makes he's worth it. It has zero effect on the salary cap. Toronto is flipping the bill and it's good for the league. The casual USMNT fan knows Jozy its great for the league. I don't understand why people care what he's getting back. They can pay him whatever they want as long as they are around the salary cap and paying other players GREAT! He's on ESPN he's in all the national newspapers. This is a huge win and it's exciting to have players in their 20's getting paid and playing domestically.

This is great for the league. Who cares what he makes he's worth it. It has zero effect on the salary cap. Toronto is flipping the bill and it's good for the league. The casual USMNT fan knows Jozy its great for the league. I don't understand why people care what he's getting back. They can pay him whatever they want as long as they are around the salary cap and paying other players GREAT! He's on ESPN he's in all the national newspapers. This is a huge win and it's exciting to have players in their 20's getting paid and playing domestically.
I'm amazed by the number and MLS need to rise the cap and can't claim pour now.

It is great for someone like Jozy who tried the prem and failed miserably. He's not a prem league player, would two years in france make him one? probably not. So he brings his name recognition home and bangs in goals against people making 40k per year. big deal.

Other players, however, it is damaging to try and lure them back with big money. Do we know Ale Bedoya's ceiling? If he has another good year in France next year, wouldn't you like to see him try the EPL? If he is lured back with a 5mil/year contract that is bad for the mens team. If rubin, John brooks, bobby wood follow the money and come to MLS, will they ever get the big league promotion? Doubtful since they would need to take a significant pay cut to go over there if we keep overpaying.

I feel differently about Mix since MLS is a step up from tippeligaen. Ill be happy for him if he moves up after a few years here.

Michael Bradley is a perfect example, the guy was challenging for minutes in Italy, and now is in MLS. I'll be stunned if he moves abroad, for a paycut, ever again. He could have been playing in the big leagues, but hes not. Not good for MNT

Reactions: Paul
It is great for someone like Jozy who tried the prem and failed miserably. He's not a prem league player, would two years in france make him one? probably not. So he brings his name recognition home and bangs in goals against people making 40k per year. big deal.

Other players, however, it is damaging to try and lure them back with big money. Do we know Ale Bedoya's ceiling? If he has another good year in France next year, wouldn't you like to see him try the EPL? If he is lured back with a 5mil/year contract that is bad for the mens team. If rubin, John brooks, bobby wood follow the money and come to MLS, will they ever get the big league promotion? Doubtful since they would need to take a significant pay cut to go over there if we keep overpaying.

I feel differently about Mix since MLS is a step up from tippeligaen. Ill be happy for him if he moves up after a few years here.

Michael Bradley is a perfect example, the guy was challenging for minutes in Italy, and now is in MLS. I'll be stunned if he moves abroad, for a paycut, ever again. He could have been playing in the big leagues, but hes not. Not good for MNT

The difference between Jozy and those mentioned is notoriety. The casual fan knows Jozy so this is great for the growth. Not many people outside of the MLS/USMNT die hards know Bedoya certainly not any of the others. This is why they should have over paid for him. Get those casual fans to tune in and see the product and see the atmosphere. I can't say it enough this is great for the league.

The difference between Jozy and those mentioned is notoriety. The casual fan knows Jozy so this is great for the growth. Not many people outside of the MLS/USMNT die hards know Bedoya certainly not any of the others. This is why they should have over paid for him. Get those casual fans to tune in and see the product and see the atmosphere. I can't say it enough this is great for the league.
It is great only if he brings in enough money to pay better average players to get up level with Liga MX. I don;t know if him playing in TO does that, but we will see.

It is great only if he brings in enough money to pay better average players to get up level with Liga MX. I don;t know if him playing in TO does that, but we will see.

It has nothing to do with it. That's the new CBA not Jozy. His salary cap will be what every other DP gets. Toronto is flipping the bill on the rest. Do you think Toronto will be far below the salary cap on the rest of the roster now? No shot. Of course the salary cap in 2015 will go up a lot and players will get paid more. That does and will have no effect of this deal. It's their ownership group who is paying his salary. They will have plenty of money to pay whatever the MLS allows them to pay the rest of their players. Garber needs to raise the salary cap a HUGE amount that issue is with the players union not Jozy they need to bring the fight.

Why is it not good for MNT?

To have bradley playing in MLS rather than a top 4 league? He could be playing against national team quality players. whole teams of players who could all play for their national teams. Now he is playing against teams that really can't challenge him. The goldfish doesn't grow in a small bowl.

To have bradley playing in MLS rather than a top 4 league? He could be playing against national team quality players. whole teams of players who could all play for their national teams. Now he is playing against teams that really can't challenge him. The goldfish doesn't grow in a small bowl.
But in the view of making us a bigger "bowl" we do need players like Bradley and Altidor to come back. It is also why this CBA is so big.

Their willing to spend money. For all their chest-thumping by our ManCity friends on here, we have yet to see ManCity or Yankees dish out big dough except for the expansion fees. I'm still waiting for Villa to be making more than $60k like it says on the players union site.
Didn't we give Villa something like 3 years 24 million? He is obviously making a lot more than 60k...

But in the view of making us a bigger "bowl" we do need players like Bradley and Altidor to come back. It is also why this CBA is so big.
I disagree there. I think only raising the salary cap and competing with Liga Mx for that talent will increase bowl size. I don't think the DPs have that much impact on that. The casual fan might tune into watch Bradley etal play, but the quality of soccer can be pretty poor sometimes in MLS, and that, i think, can push them away.