• I don't have an opinion but wanted to vote anyways

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
What do you all make of CFG's investment into the club so far? I'm asking this because currently MCFC are preparing to face Real Madrid in the Champions League Semi-Final while NYCFC are last in their division again.

It wasn't overnight success for what is now known as CFG, and MCFC in England, they slowly moved up the table over the years. My question is how long will it be until we start seeing NYCFC move up the table? Here's MCFC's record under CFG:
  • 10th 2008-09
  • 5th in 2009-10
  • 3rd in 2010-11
  • 1st in 2011-2012
  • 2nd in 2012-2013
  • 1st in 2013-14
  • 2nd in 2014-2015
  • 3rd in 2015-2016 (currently)
Obviously MLS is a different beast with its salary cap structure but it's also much more competitive among teams which lets a team like Philly go from worst to first in a year. So with all that in mind, how long do you guys think it will take CFG to bring NYCFC from opening day 2015 to MLS supporters shield or MLS cup winners? Will it also take 4 years? Will it take more or less time due to the parity in the league?

What do you all make of CFG's investment into the club so far? I'm asking this because currently MCFC are preparing to face Real Madrid in the Champions League Semi-Final while NYCFC are last in their division again.

It wasn't overnight success for what is now known as CFG, and MCFC in England, they slowly moved up the table over the years. My question is how long will it be until we start seeing NYCFC move up the table? Here's MCFC's record under CFG:
  • 10th 2008-09
  • 5th in 2009-10
  • 3rd in 2010-11
  • 1st in 2011-2012
  • 2nd in 2012-2013
  • 1st in 2013-14
  • 2nd in 2014-2015
Obviously MLS is a different beast with its salary cap structure but it's also much more competitive among teams which lets a team like Philly go from worst to first in a year. So with all that in mind, how long do you guys think it will take CFG to bring NYCFC from opening day 2015 to MLS supporters shield or MLS cup winners? Will it also take 4 years? Will it take more or less time due to the parity in the league?
I may be hopelessly optimistic but I think we're really close. We have a world class striker in Villa. If we can get him on the field we have a world class leader of the offense in Lampard. We have a world class play starter in Pirlo. I think if we had a Kompany-like leader of the defense we'd be looking pretty good. We have a number of good players besides the DPs, and we also have a number of potentially good young players as well. I think we're a lot better than we've looked so far this year, and hopefully I'll be proven right.

So a few more pieces and a bunch of good bounces going our way instead of off the woodwork and the whole mood of the board might be totally different.

Also note that Man City at one point fell all the way to the bottom tier for a bit, not just down to the middle of the table in the years you listed.

This topic could make my head spin, because there's so many different ways to answer both pro and con. And in all honesty, I don't think anyone who takes a pro or con approach would necessarily be wrong!

Rather than waste everyone's time with drivel, I'll sum it up in what I believe to be the most important factor of all.

Let's see what they do with the roster when both Pirlo and Lampard are gone.

Also note that Man City at one point fell all the way to the bottom tier for a bit, not just down to the middle of the table in the years you listed.
Well I just wanted to include the time under CFG's ownership for comparison. But I'm hoping your right and it's sooner rather than later.

This topic could make my head spin, because there's so many different ways to answer both pro and con. And in all honesty, I don't think anyone who takes a pro or con approach would necessarily be wrong!

Rather than waste everyone's time with drivel, I'll sum it up in what I believe to be the most important factor of all.

Let's see what they do with the roster when both Pirlo and Lampard are gone.
Can someone whip up stats to let us know how NYCFC performed with all three DPs in the lineup?

too early for this...plus money cant be splashed just like that here. ( funny how one philly guy i heard talking saying he hates NYCFC because the money that can be easily spend on players, yet somehow forget about the whole cap thing).

ill reserve judgement until i see how the training facilities come out when they are built and how the academy develops, even the first class how they do. and still waiting to see how this year turns out. so ill say 5 years and say...yay or nay.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

• 10th 2008-09
  • 5th in 2009-10
  • 3rd in 2010-11
  • 1st in 2011-2012
  • 2nd in 2012-2013
  • 1st in 2013-14
  • 2nd in 2014-2015
I wouldn't call that slowly moving up the table. Granted it's not a Leicester level of improvement but that's what makes the Foxes so amazing. Tenth to fifth to third to first is plenty fast I think.
I can't possibly say how that translates here. Leicester again notwithstanding, MLS sees a lot more table repositioning than the PL due to salary restrictions that make it harder to keep your core together, and a handful of top-spending teams cannot just keep acquiring whoever they want to stay on top [yes I know insert LAG joke here]. Playoffs add a further variable, even though the league had a run of a small handful of teams winning most of the Cups [repeat Galaxy jokes].
But I have seen little evidence yet that the CFG management knows how to handle the specific challenge of our cap-limited league. Certainly they cannot do what they did with MCFC to succeed here. Yet they have improved Melbourne who had their most successful season ever this year in a similarly cap-constrained league. I do credit CFG for emphasizing the academies but that payoff is years away and even then I worry that if we're too successful we just end up developing players we have to sell overseas. I guess I think they can figure it out here, but they made a complete hash of the start with 3 mismatched DPs, one of whom they pulled away after building the rest of the team around him and Villa in the expansion draft, and then he got hurt and never plays. We haven't been able to overcome that and I don't know when we will. That's why so many plans for team improvement here start with the completely unrealistic "start by dropping Pirlo and Lampard..."

Last edited:
Can someone whip up stats to let us know how NYCFC performed with all three DPs in the lineup?
Lampard played in 10 games, all last season. I believe Villa and Pirlo also played in all of those 10 but haven't double-checked. Our record in those 10 was 3-7-0 for a 0.9 PPG average that is below our average for last season. You can be generous and throw away his first game when Lampy only played 21 minutes and the record is still only 3-6-0 for a 1.0 PPG which is also below our average for the season. Not by much, and it is only 9-10 games, but it is fair to say there is no evidence we were better with all of them than without them.

Lampard played in 10 games, all last season. I believe Villa and Pirlo also played in all of those 10 but haven't double-checked. Our record in those 10 was 3-7-0 for a 0.9 PPG average that is below our average for last season. You can be generous and throw away his first game when Lampy only played 21 minutes and the record is still only 3-6-0 for a 1.0 PPG which is also below our average for the season. Not by much, and it is only 9-10 games, but it is fair to say there is no evidence we were better with all of them than without them.
Can you cross-reference that with games that Grabavoy also played in, because with the exception of his 2-goal career game that included a flying header, he would be a very unfair handicap to success?

Can you cross-reference that with games that Grabavoy also played in, because with the exception of his 2-goal career game that included a flying header, he would be a very unfair handicap to success?
I expect you're joking but it's hard to overestimate how obsessive I was last year. Of the 9 Lampard games (ie excluding the 21 minute appearance) Grabavoy played in 6 and the team record was 3-3-0 for a PPG of 1.5.

This absolutely and indisputably proves that the Lampard/Grabavoy combination was the cornerstone of our first year plans, and if Kreis only had Lampard from Day One we would have earned 51 points and made the playoffs.

Last edited:
I expect you're joking but it's hard to overestimate how obsessive I was last year. Of the 9 Lampard games (ie excluding the 21 minute appearance) Grabavoy played in 6 and the team record was 3-3-0 for a PPG of 1.5.

This absolutely and indisputably proves that the Lampard/Grabavou combination was the cornerstone of our first year plans, and if Kreis only had Lampard from Day One we would have earned 51 points and made the playoffs.
And can you cross reference that with games that Kreis had a scoured facial expression?

I think it's going to take a few full seasons, and the expiration of all three of our Founding DPs' contracts, for CFG to learn how to consistently win in MLS.

They need to scout talent differently than they do for the PL, and they need to factor in immense travel loads on their squads (which means adding the challenge of signing a deep bench under the salary cap [which gets back to scouting]).

In my view it will be a few years before we can be confident of making solid runs at the Cup or the SS.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Somehow i get the feeling NYCFC will have a NJRB level of never winning anything......
Nah, RB wrote the book on that and have perfected it to an art form. I'm not sure a team try to could ever match their futility. Not that we couldn't be a bad version of an imposter, but RB is the mad genius of a futile organization.

We have a world class striker in Villa. If we can get him on the field we have a world class leader of the offense in Lampard. We have a world class play starter in Pirlo.

34 year old Villa is in year 2 of his 3 year contract.

37 year old Lampard's 1.5 year contract is up at the end of the year.

36 year old Pirlo's 1.5 year contract is also up at the end of the year.

IF we resign these guys to new contracts, how many years do you think they have left in tank?

Granted Villa looks like he can score 50 goals in the next 3 years, but where's Lampard? and Pirlo moves like old-man-of-desert-Obi-Wan-Kenobi.

I think it's going to take a few full seasons, and the expiration of all three of our Founding DPs' contracts, for CFG to learn how to consistently win in MLS.

They need to scout talent differently than they do for the PL, and they need to factor in immense travel loads on their squads (which means adding the challenge of signing a deep bench under the salary cap [which gets back to scouting]).

In my view it will be a few years before we can be confident of making solid runs at the Cup or the SS.
Has anyone other than LA really won consistently in MLS?

Even I'm not THAT cynical. Remember both Chicago and Colorado have won the cup in the past.

i wasnt following back then...but wasnt chicago not that much of a surprise as there were less teams and in expansion draft they were able to get good players?

as for colorado...seeing how they are now...maybe it was a fluke?