Are you happy with CFG so far?

• Yes

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • I don't have an opinion but wanted to vote anyways

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
34 year old Villa is in year 2 of his 3 year contract.

37 year old Lampard's 1.5 year contract is up at the end of the year.

36 year old Pirlo's 1.5 year contract is also up at the end of the year.

IF we resign these guys to new contracts, how many years do you think they have left in tank?

Granted Villa looks like he can score 50 goals in the next 3 years, but where's Lampard? and Pirlo moves like old-man-of-desert-Obi-Wan-Kenobi.
Don't know, and I mostly agree with what you're (not exactly) saying. I'm perhaps the #1 I-want-to-have-Lampard-play person here maybe. Assuming he is able to start playing and does great I'd certainly consider re-signing him to a one year deal. That's a big if though. If you asked me right now today I'd definitely not sign him for an extension. Still hoping his calf can get fully recovered and that he can contribute but I'm not sure I'd put good money on that yet. A few weeks ago I heard Keith Hernandez talk about his last year, when he also picked up a calf injury. If he was 10 years younger he could've just healed it right up and gone on playing. It never really healed though and that was his last year. So we'll see. We could have Lampard or we might not, and I hope we get to have him play for us.

As to Pirlo, well, it's sort of the same situation as with Lampard. He's not hurt, but he's also not young. We would have been a horrible and utterly boring team without him though, and he adds a touch of class and of genius to every game. I might sign him for another year but maybe not. Tough call.

Villa I would definitely keep at this point. He's still just *that* good. Not sure I'd do a huge multi-year deal for him either though.

I'm glad we had Villa/Pirlo/Lampard for our starting year. Just like Orlando with Kaka (and Larin) we've been way more interesting to watch from the beginning than we would've been without them.

I don't think CFG has anywhere near the ability to drive improvement on the field by investing in us the way they could with Man City based on league rules. However, I do think they can make a major investment in our quality by investing in a field. I don't see any chance of a cup or shield while we're stuck playing as a two-faced team at and away from Yankee Stadium

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
I'm glad we had Villa/Pirlo/Lampard for our starting year.
I know having Villa / Pirlo / Lampard in the locker room and practice will be invaluable to the team (almost like assistant coaches), but can that justify $6 million a year? If we're winning, it's worth it, but . . . ?

34 year old Villa is in year 2 of his 3 year contract.

37 year old Lampard's 1.5 year contract is up at the end of the year.

36 year old Pirlo's 1.5 year contract is also up at the end of the year.

IF we resign these guys to new contracts, how many years do you think they have left in tank?

Granted Villa looks like he can score 50 goals in the next 3 years, but where's Lampard? and Pirlo moves like old-man-of-desert-Obi-Wan-Kenobi.
My understanding is that Pirlo's contract didn't expire until next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/23/andrea-pirlo-nycfc-mls-new-york-city-fc

"Pirlo’s two-and-a-half year contract was announced on July 6"

I know having Villa / Pirlo / Lampard in the locker room and practice will be invaluable to the team (almost like assistant coaches), but can that justify $6 million a year? If we're winning, it's worth it, but . . . ?
Well for me the money isn't a problem as it doesn't count against the cap. If you're talking about counting against our limited number of DP slots I'm more inclined to agree with you. The only thing is that we've only played our first year and barely started our second. I'm almost not so worried about winning the league yet as one can hardly expect us to. That's why I'm really happy we have these great players on our team (although I'd be happier if Lampard could actually play, of course).

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Real Salt Lake
This one I have a harder time agreeing with. I'm counting six good seasons and five bad. They've been better recently though, apart from 2015.

Granted Villa looks like he can score 50 goals in the next 3 years,
I think this is one of our biggest fallacies. Last year Villa scored 9 not counting PKs. This year he's projecting to 10. So he is on track to make 30 without PKs and just barely make 50 assuming he continues to take all of our PKs. I don't think any team makes a run at anything when your primary striker is barely squeaking in double digit scores from the run of play.

I became a huge Villa fan during his Barca and WC years. I love seeing him play for us. But I also think we can and should set higher expectations for what he delivers.

(And yes, cue the excuses about quality of service, partnership, coaching, etc.)

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Ulrich
As has been pointed out, Pirlo's contract has an option for next season. Not clear if that's the Club's option or his. Either way, we will be switching to one new DP after this season, and maybe two.

I don't think CFG has anywhere near the ability to drive improvement on the field by investing in us the way they could with Man City based on league rules. However, I do think they can make a major investment in our quality by investing in a field. I don't see any chance of a cup or shield while we're stuck playing as a two-faced team at and away from Yankee Stadium

It's an interesting question about where an owner can throw money to make a difference in MLS. One answer is to pay a lot for DPs, since there is no limit to how much you can spend once you get to 3 DPs. We are doing that, but arguably haven't chosen them very wisely.

Another opportunity is to invest heavily in the development program. This gives a team preferred access to young talent, allows the team to pay that talent outside the salary cap for some period, and also allows the team to sell that talent overseas in return for GAM - effectively getting a raise in the salary cap. It is not clear that we are devoting ourselves fully in this area, but it takes years before spending here makes a difference.

Reactions: Paul and Taurus