CITC - City in the Community

Got the call. Sadly cannot attend. It's a community iniative which has been mentioned. It's NYCFC, the Mayors Office, and US Soccer which has been mentioned.

Emily couldn't say since it's not public info but she explicitly said it's not a stadium announcement.

Glad to be on the caller list, it shows I care.

Hit the stop button on the hype machine.

I don't think anyone actually suggested it probably was stadium-related, except indirectly as evidence of nice cooperation between the club and city government. This has been a comparatively rational discussion for the forums.

Reactions: adam
It's at a small park, Nick Chavez said it's about 50 mini pitches they're building in the communities. Makes sense.

Hit the stop button on the hype machine.

In fairness I was ready to fire up the hype machine all the way.

It's a community iniative press conference. It's not a stadium announcement press conference. That means there a chance it would be a community iniative and stadium announcement press conference.

It's a community iniative press conference. It's not a stadium announcement press conference. That means there a chance it would be a community iniative and stadium announcement press conference.
Isn't there a rule that states if you take a city park over you have to add the equal amount of city park in return? Is this greasing the wheel?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Isn't there a rule that states if you take a city park over you have to add the equal amount of city park in return? Is this greasing the wheel?

Yes, but it's preferred that the parkland be as close to the alienated site as possible. When Flushing Meadows was proposed, Bloomberg suggested using the disused Flushing Airport as replacement parkland - and was promptly shot down by the local electeds and parks advocates.

Reactions: Andy and adam
Yes, but it's preferred that the parkland be as close to the alienated site as possible. When Flushing Meadows was proposed, Bloomberg suggested using the disused Flushing Airport as replacement parkland - and was promptly shot down by the local electeds and parks advocates.
Also the club is probably paying for improvements, not donating the land.

Reactions: Kjbert

There shouldn't be a stadium announcement tomorrow, but the good news... the guy who gave me the information to allow me to break that bit of news/details above was right!

If you guys have been paying attention to what I've been saying on twitter about Mayor de Blasio's attitude towards NYCFC/soccer, and the inevitability of the New York City-located soccer stadium, then we have a pretty good reason to believe that as well, if you put 2 and 2 together.

Anyways, NYT Soccer put this out (link below) confirming my tweet above at 10:11pm. My tweet from above was from 6:37pm. Yes, we do have reason to be excited, even if an announcement tomorrow about the future SSS is highly unlikely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/s...foundation.html?smid=tw-nytimesgoal&smtyp=cur

Last edited:

There shouldn't be a stadium announcement tomorrow, but the good news... the guy who gave me the information to allow me to break that bit of news/details above was right!

If you guys have been paying attention to what I've been saying on twitter about Mayor de Blasio's attitude towards NYCFC/soccer, and the inevitability of the New York City-located soccer stadium, then we have a pretty good reason to believe that as well, if you put 2 and 2 together.

Anyways, NYT Soccer put this out (link below) confirming my tweet above at 10:11pm. My tweet from above was from 7:37pm. Yes, we do have reason to be excited, even if an announcement tomorrow about the future SSS is highly unlikely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/s...foundation.html?smid=tw-nytimesgoal&smtyp=cur
All of you on this forum would be really bad at surprise parties. You gotta know before everyone else... Ruins the surprise :(

(But I also have to point the finger at myself because I also cling on to every piece of information that someone rumors or puts together on their own)

This is interesting news . Please to any one that attends this " Top Secret " meeting, remember that lots of curious minds of this forum do want to know. Do keep us posted . Do not sign secret waivers . One thing for sure Mayor Dia- Blasso has a rep. for being late or not showing up at the last minute. If he does not show up whatever the secret may not be that important. ;)

Reactions: Kjbert and CatNYC
Glad to see this happening. Seen a bunch of other teams doing it via MLS twitter and it's low hanging fruit.

Reactions: Goodfella
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/s...ew-york-fields-us-soccer-foundation.html?_r=0

"The new program is being unveiled as New York City F.C. — the city’s newest top-level pro team — has made little public progress in finding a site for its own soccer stadium. The team, which is partly owned by the Yankees, has played its home games at Yankee Stadium in its first two seasons. While the team draws well, the arrangement — which involves the installation and removal of a narrow field when the Yankees are on the road — is not ideal.

Jon Patricof, the president of New York City F.C., said the team was continuing its search for a location in the five boroughs. He added that the team’s participation in the partnership with the city was not about attracting new fans, but about a broader goal of having an impact on the community.

“For us, this is not about what happens on our match days,” Patricof said. “For us, this is about our commitment to the sport and all the positive things soccer can do for kids and their families.”"

Its not about attracting new fans. We just love burning 750k for no economic benefit to ourselves, just make sure our name is on a dedication plack at each one of the fields for, uh, no reason what so ever.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/s...ew-york-fields-us-soccer-foundation.html?_r=0

"The new program is being unveiled as New York City F.C. — the city’s newest top-level pro team — has made little public progress in finding a site for its own soccer stadium. The team, which is partly owned by the Yankees, has played its home games at Yankee Stadium in its first two seasons. While the team draws well, the arrangement — which involves the installation and removal of a narrow field when the Yankees are on the road — is not ideal.

Jon Patricof, the president of New York City F.C., said the team was continuing its search for a location in the five boroughs. He added that the team’s participation in the partnership with the city was not about attracting new fans, but about a broader goal of having an impact on the community.

“For us, this is not about what happens on our match days,” Patricof said. “For us, this is about our commitment to the sport and all the positive things soccer can do for kids and their families.”"

Its not about attracting new fans. We just love burning 750k for no economic benefit to ourselves, just make sure our name is on a dedication plack at each one of the fields for, uh, no reason what so ever.
That's the public statement when in reality it's something like this behind closed doors:

JP: hey Bill, when the Fck are you going to start putting pressure on the city council to approve our stadium at XYZ site?

BdB: now John, take it easy... These things take time.

JP: time?!? You realize we just made you look good with 750 Thousand reasons from us and 750 thousand reasons from Adidas, and 750 thousand reason from the USSoccer overlords and you're getting 50 new fields for the city... You can't even get developers to play ball with the stipulations you've placed on them and we've just delivered more recreational space to the city...

BdB: now John, take it easy, you don't understand the process....

JP: I don't understand? Have you heard of the Tribecca Film festival? That was me. These fields are me. You know what else is me - a mother fcking stadium and you're holding it up.

BdB: John, it's really not that simple....

JP: I'll tell you what's simple.... Start playing ball with us, or we're going to back your opponent in the next election and they can take credit for the world class stadium we want to build for the city. We're the golden ticket to promote grass roots soccer in the city and you just aren't on board....

BdB: ok, ok.... Let me see what I can do. Are you interested in adding some affordable housing to the stadium?

JP: dammit, stop with that crap... Just get us approved....

BdB: one more thing, can Donte have an internship?

That's the public statement when in reality it's something like this behind closed doors:

JP: hey Bill, when the Fck are you going to start putting pressure on the city council to approve our stadium at XYZ site?

BdB: now John, take it easy... These things take time.

JP: time?!? You realize we just made you look good with 750 Thousand reasons from us and 750 thousand reasons from Adidas, and 750 thousand reason from the USSoccer overlords and you're getting 50 new fields for the city... You can't even get developers to play ball with the stipulations you've placed on them and we've just delivered more recreational space to the city...

BdB: now John, take it easy, you don't understand the process....

JP: I don't understand? Have you heard of the Tribecca Film festival? That was me. These fields are me. You know what else is me - a mother fcking stadium and you're holding it up.

BdB: John, it's really not that simple....

JP: I'll tell you what's simple.... Start playing ball with us, or we're going to back your opponent in the next election and they can take credit for the world class stadium we want to build for the city. We're the golden ticket to promote grass roots soccer in the city and you just aren't on board....

BdB: ok, ok.... Let me see what I can do. Are you interested in adding some affordable housing to the stadium?

JP: dammit, stop with that crap... Just get us approved....

BdB: one more thing, can Donte have an internship?

Dante probably wants to the first homegrown player. That's why de Blasio is holding it all up.

I just can't wait to boo him again next home opener if NYCFC decide to invite him again...

Reactions: TabascoDiva