Dallas Postmatch

Pro: 1 point is more than I expected going into this game.

Con: Day didn't work out for me at make it to Goodfella Goodfella's meet up. I now owe him a beer.

Reactions: Goodfella
Loudest 'Puto' to date in the second half after the goal. Lot of work to be done, it seems.

I remember that, Seitz had the ball for a long time and the supporters section was screaming to build it up and then the 'Puto' chant came out. Come on guys.

The league has thrown down the gauntlet on this one, I don't care if you personally don't find it offensive (Nothin wrong with rocking out to Molotov when you want to), this is not the place for it. Enough.

Josh sucks, blah blah blah, we're 2 years into this guys... he's not the best, but what about the moments, point blank super early today, yeah, not bad huh??? Being a goalie sucks, obviously it'd be nice to have the best one in the world, but Josh Saunders is not the worst thing about this club. He's an easy target for post match bs. We just 2-2'd the top club in MLS, pretty awesome. I'm psyched for THAT PLAYOFF NYCFC SHIT. Stay pos
Slosh, you know that's not the best handle given your history.

Anybody but Mendoza at the end and we win that game.

Yup, I turned and said "if that's Villa, 3-2 final."

It was comical to watch Mendoza try to create centrally this game, take the ball and run up field looking flashy and then either lose the ball or pass it to a Dallas player. There was a black hole in offensive midfield. Great skill deeper with Iraola and Pirlo, speed on wings with Shelton and Harrison, Villa on a island and a big black hole in the middle.

Mendoza's the definition of a ten cent head. Somebody create a highlight reel of him and Mena losing the ball to the Benny Hill soundtrack.

I would take Ned Grabavoy back and play him at CB before i'd ever put Mena back on the pitch. It's official now, Mena is dogshit. Yes, he does have some great 1v1 skills....sometimes...but overall is such a shitty defender. JH should be the default CB until Chanot is back, don't even waste a spot in the 18 for Mena.

I kinda liked Ned

My issue with the Mendoza sub is that he subbed in to CM. It wasnt until shelton got subbed on that TMac moved to CM and mendoza went forward in the WM. Hopefully PV learns from that.

Got to love Shelton the last couple of games. Was he playing fullback until jason hernandez got subbed on? might not be a bad option.

Reactions: adam
Dallas sure knows how to clamp a team down. Made us look like a shitty team, but we got a point. I think physically, this was the toughest opponent to date. Seriously though...Mena is really bad, he's late on everything, he's indecisive with his passing...maybe it's mental, but the guy sucks. Everyone else was average for the most part, but a lot of that was Dallas being so quick to press/double and counter. Crowd seemed lighter than the 27k announced btw. Thought it would be filled a little more.

Dallas sure knows how to clamp a team down. Made us look like a shitty team, but we got a point. I think physically, this was the toughest opponent to date. Seriously though...Mena is really bad, he's late on everything, he's indecisive with his passing...maybe it's mental, but the guy sucks. Everyone else was average for the most part, but a lot of that was Dallas being so quick to press/double and counter. Crowd seemed lighter than the 27k announced btw. Thought it would be filled a little more.
announced at 25k

Reactions: NickA

announced at 25k

Reactions: NickA
Also, to all the people around section 234 who were screaming "puto" at the Dallas keeper, go fuck yourselves and get that bullshit out of our stadium.
As I stated on your other post on the topic, puto was not coming from 234. We have a very loud post goal kick routine and it ain't puto. Get your facts straight before disparaging an entire section

I'd like to see Khiry used a bit more he seems to have turned some kind of corner.

Pray for Frank. We need his scoring threat if we're going anywhere in the play offs. Takes the pressure off Villa etc.

As noted some really bad calls though I'm not enamored of MLS reffing in general

D that was comical if you were a neutral but sad if your us. Tried to gift them the winner with those couple chances late. Not very religious I must confess but we better Pray for Chanot while we're at it for Frank!

Just watched the replay having missed the game due to travel and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The switch to the 3-2-2-3 was initially a bit of a train wreck, but I thought we looked really good once our defenders adjusted to the shape. Playing out of a 4-3-3 is really different to playing out of a 3-2-2-3, so I understand the difficulty of that transition.

With Chanot out and Mena and Hernandez completely untrustworthy, I wouldn't mind seeing us start in the W-M. Maybe give Khiry a start too. I thought Mendoza and Tommy relished playing through the center in front of the double pivot of Iraola and Pirlo. Pirlo was immaculate all game, and although Mendoza's miss at the end was incredibly disappointing, I actually think he looked really good weaving in and out of traffic and shifting the ball to the wings. With 4 in the centre, we had a lot more of the ball and Pirlo had just a little bit more space to operate. Harrison looked partially revitalized and his second assist was nasty. The idea of Harrison, Tommy and maybe Mendoza (if Frank is gonna sit out a few games) shifting across the front line in a 3-2-2-3 is pretty tantalizing.

In the last 15-20 minutes we bossed the best team in the country. Sure, they had some chances they should have put away, but play Bravo or RJ in there instead of Mena (in a 3 man backline) and I think there is plenty to be excited about.

Ignoring that there may well be a vast gulf in actual God given talent, seeing Jack on the wing versus a kid like Pulisic highlights the difference of intelligence and craftiness between a kid who trains with a UCL first team since 16 and one who goes to Wake Forest.

Pulisic was that good before he was college age.

Ignoring that there may well be a vast gulf in actual God given talent, seeing Jack on the wing versus a kid like Pulisic highlights the difference of intelligence and craftiness between a kid who trains with a UCL first team since 16 and one who goes to Wake Forest.
I think that's misstated. It's a lot harder to look refined when playing with NYCFC teammates vs UCL caliber teammates. Move Jack to the same team and he'd show guile and skills we haven't seen. Hell, surround me with the UCL squad and I'd have a mini-renaissance as an over-40 player.

I think that's misstated. It's a lot harder to look refined when playing with NYCFC teammates vs UCL caliber teammates. Move Jack to the same team and he'd show guile and skills we haven't seen. Hell, surround me with the UCL squad and I'd have a mini-renaissance as an over-40 player.
I am saying watch in one v ones. Jack often has a hard time getting a ball off.
Eta
Pulisic was that good before he was college age.
Given he's still not that age, I agree. I do think they are fairly close skill wise though, but I see a good bit of difference in tactical awareness. I attribute at least some of that to where they've trained. But then again, it never comes for some kids.

Last edited: