• Backline/SJ

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Harrison

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ring

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We do a great job of breaking down games. Bravo, gang. One thing I wanted to point out is that, especially late in the game, the back line (Chanot and Callen, in particular) looked really composed for one still getting its footing. Very impressed with how well they cleared danger, even with some really awkward bounces in the box. Credit Vieira, credit Johnson, they just looked 100% ready for anything that could happen.

Not a whole ton to say that hasn't already been said. But I was highly critical of Ethan starting at RB.

Throughout the whole game, whenever he would touch the ball, I would just start yelling "Sub out Ethan!".

But honestly, he wasn't all that bad. I'm going to rewatch the game later tonight and get a better feel for it than my extremely drunk self in 237 yesterday, but he didn't disappoint me at least.
There was a funny moment when the guy next to me yelled at Norris a minute after he had a direct look at goal and launched that was-it-a-shot-or-pass thing (something along the lines of "Hey Ethan, you call that a cross?"). Norris picked up the ball on the sideline to throw it in and actually hesitated on his run-up to turn to the guy and give him a death stare. I was surprised that the heckle actually phased him and that he felt the need to address it essentially while he had ball-in-hand.

He played fine, basic ABC stuff which was probably PV's directive. With the rest of the roster out there, that's better than RJ getting out of line and playing with happy feet.

Anyone get pics of the tifo?
Partial tifo and magnet
9pntjl.jpg

1t6234.jpg

A couple of thoughts.

It was an excellent game by the midfield and forwards. We had only 1 more shot on goal than DC (5-4), but we were much more clinical in our finishing, and that is a big difference that hasn't been mentioned. Hamid is an excellent keeper, but there was nothing he could do on 3 of the 4 goals. Johnson on the other hand was given chances to make saves and came up big time.

Which leads to one soft spot for me, which is the back line. I liked their play, but they made a couple of mistakes and got bailed out by the goalie. One one play, Nyarko was bracketed by Chanot and Callens and made them look like chumps as he split them and ran in on goal. Chanot was nutmegged and Callens had positioned himself poorly to cover. White had a better game than we are used to but still had a couple of shaky moments, including getting nutmegged on the wide pass to Nyarko when Johnson got the kick save. These guys weren't awful, but it easily could have been 4-2 or even 4-3.

Villa to me is the man-of-the-match, in part because of how effectively he tracked back to support the midfield. This wasn't a striker starved of service and forced to retreat. This was a guy who chose the right moments to drift back and support the midfield. The best example was the third goal. Not only did Villa assist, he was the guy who ran back and took the ball from a DC player. The guy was receiving the ball with his back to Villa and never saw him coming. Villa kept moving as he looped around the player and headed back upfield to start the break and eventually send Maxi in on goal. Brilliant.

There was a funny moment when the guy next to me yelled at Norris a minute after he had a direct look at goal and launched that was-it-a-shot-or-pass thing (something along the lines of "Hey Ethan, you call that a cross?"). Norris picked up the ball on the sideline to throw it in and actually hesitated on his run-up to turn to the guy and give him a death stare. I was surprised that the heckle actually phased him and that he felt the need to address it essentially while he had ball-in-hand.

He played fine, basic ABC stuff which was probably PV's directive. With the rest of the roster out there, that's better than RJ getting out of line and playing with happy feet.
I wouldn't put it past White (or others) to read some of the criticism leveled against them and have it in the back of their heads. I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch, but in shitty conditions and winning the game, getting bashed by his own supporters was probably a little infuriating to him. I mean, why be critical during the game when we need his total focus (while still making errors), break that focus and the flood gate of mistakes will ensue.

Did get to watch the game not will I do to being out of the country, but what were the significance of the net colors? The highlight videos are so much fun when they are filled with winning goals!
whaaaaaaaaaat, I know it's a little hard to tell cause its slightly transparent, but that was an easy one. I'm gonna chalk that one up to a brain fart on your behalf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4

here's a video on vexillology that i found interesting, but im a dork.

Reactions: sundance
I fully expect to hear this week that a couple of players are sick. I cannot imagine running around in those temps/wind with no hat and few of them wore gloves. Hell, Harrison had on a short sleeve jersey?!?!

Harrison reminded me of Tony Sannah walking out onto the snowy field in columbus against Mexico in short sleeves, going on to physically bully the Mexican team's attackers in route to the 2-0 win.

Btw, were there 2-3 supporters going shirtless all game??? Expect them to have 102 fever today.

Reactions: Kjbert
I fully expect to hear this week that a couple of players are sick. I cannot imagine running around in those temps/wind with no hat and few of them wore gloves. Hell, Harrison had on a short sleeve jersey?!?!

Harrison reminded me of Tony Sannah walking out onto the snowy field in columbus against Mexico in short sleeves, going on to physically bully the Mexican team's attackers in route to the 2-0 win.

Btw, were there 2-3 supporters going shirtless all game??? Expect them to have 102 fever today.
Harrison will be fine, Viera looked to be trying to hide a shiver after each goal.
Whiskey and boiled lemons all round :p

I watched the game with a prominent grin throughout.
It's a joy watching us, and we'll only get better.

whaaaaaaaaaat, I know it's a little hard to tell cause its slightly transparent, but that was an easy one. I'm gonna chalk that one up to a brain fart on your behalf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4
here's a video on vexillology that i found interesting, but im a dork.

Lol I was on the forum last night on my phone and the night shade was on so it changed the colors to look more red/Orange. It made it look more like the French flag than the NYC flag. Yeah it's my bad for not thinking about that

Villa to me is the man-of-the-match, in part because of how effectively he tracked back to support the midfield. This wasn't a striker starved of service and forced to retreat. This was a guy who chose the right moments to drift back and support the midfield. The best example was the third goal. Not only did Villa assist, he was the guy who ran back and took the ball from a DC player. The guy was receiving the ball with his back to Villa and never saw him coming. Villa kept moving as he looped around the player and headed back upfield to start the break and eventually send Maxi in on goal. Brilliant.

Found a nice video of the Maxi goal that shows the work that Villa put in.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that in the two goals scored by other players, the goal scorer was unmarked because his defender had left to be the 2nd guy covering Villa.

Not a whole ton to say that hasn't already been said. But I was highly critical of Ethan starting at RB.

Throughout the whole game, whenever he would touch the ball, I would just start yelling "Sub out Ethan!".

But honestly, he wasn't all that bad. I'm going to rewatch the game later tonight and get a better feel for it than my extremely drunk self in 237 yesterday, but he didn't disappoint me at least.

I figured Wallace would sub out first yesterday because he just works so damn hard. I wish PV had run out JLew though.

Gonna have to rewatch to see how Herrera played. As noted above about the goggles I was wearing yesterday, I really do not recall.

White actually did pretty well on defense, but he still scares me in possession. There was a few times where he held onto the ball too long in one spot, and got dispossessed. Also, had a moment where he made a bad pass to Ring then pointed towards Ring like it was his fault he was not in the right position.

And PV has said that Wallace'a fitness is not 100%, which is why he has been getting subbed out first.

Much respect for braving the cold in that front row. Me and Falastur attended the innaugural season opening home game and it was freezing. Wind is a killer there too. I think it was even 10 degrees warmer then too.
At least you got to see 3 goals in front of you.
I love cold weather & never complain about it. I wore a light jacket , long sleeved jersey with a tee under it and a hat. I was fine, my friend had 4 layers on , 2 hats, thick gloves and a wool blanket lol. Now when it gets above 70, I start to complain !
Those seats are awesome, we bought seats in that row for this Sat. We'd move down there if I wasn't such a baby about hot weather. I hate sitting in the sun.

I think there's some confusion. On the sideline video boards, they are likely advertising the Gold Cup. The opening ceremony with the international flags are from countries of fans who have come to Etihad Pitch to see NYCFC.
Oh, yeah, it's definitely the Gold Cup, it had the website and everything. And the flags were described as the "top 20 countries of NYCFC supporters".

Reactions: Kjbert