Q & A With Ian Joy - Answers Now Received (plus Bonus Message)!

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
Success! Ian has now responded to our comments and has replied to pretty much every question we asked. If your question didn't get answered then we apologise but the answers are at Ian's discretion only.
Before I give you all the Q&A, NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan had these words he wanted to add in response to Ian and his immense willingness to work with us and answer all of these questions, plus the tireless efforts of Ian and also Joe Tolleson as NYCFC's inaugural matchday commentators:

I really appreciate Ian taking the time out to do this for us. I'm pretty sure he answered every question which is very good of him. I think we'd all agree that we're lucky to have him and Joe Tolleson as commentators. They've done an excellent job in their first year working together covering games and It'll only get better as they continue to build a rapport.
I would echo Dan's words and add that I think we owe Dan himself a debt of gratitude for his work in arranging this.

With that said, on to the questions!

Q. As an announcer, what kind of access do you get to the players? And what is your relationship like with them as a former player? Is it one of colleagues? Are you playing the role of journalist with them? Do you ever offer advice (especially to the younger players)?

A. The access we get near the players is normally pretty good. I always try to visit the practice the day before match day and usually spend 10-15 minutes with the guys after practice talking the game, getting some tactics or just catching up with friends. I know Chris Wingert very well as we played together at RSL in 2008 & 2009 and I have also played against 5-6 of the other guys so it's a god relationship we have.

On a game day the access is much tougher and I know all of us at the network get frustrated that we don't get quick access or even access at all to players or coaches following a game.

Q. Ian, you have the greatest voice in sports announcing. With that out of the way, what is your explanation for Poku's lack of starting time last year?

A. Thank you for the compliment. You wouldn't be able to guess that I was born in San Diego, CA with the accent I have!!! I am bless that I was raised in Scotland because there is no doubt having the accent has helped speed up my career in media.

As regards to the Poku situation it's a tough one. He is a very very talented player! He truly can go all the way to the top if he really dedicates himself to wanting to achieve that goal. Last season he was very frustrated because he always wants to play. I think his fitness for whatever reason held him back because at times in games he would just fade out of the match or not have the energy to track back but the true answer to that question Only Jason Kreis can answer because I would have played him every single game.

Q. What should we expect from YES network's NYCFC coverage, assuming it continues, this upcoming year? (Any improvements, especially with regards to pre/post match coverage?)

Last season was the first time that me & Joe had met each other let alone work with one another and also the team we have of Producers Carlos De Molina & Jim Daddona t were all hand picked by the bosses Woody Freiman & John Filippelli we had never worked together before so to see the performance from each one and the tremendous response we got from the viewers blew us all away. We are putting together plans for wha we can add to our match day experience for the viewers and hopefully it'll be something special. Regardless we will continue to bring it every single game for you all.

Q. What do you think MLS has to do to be one of top 5 world leagues, and what do you think of the proposed unified Americas Champions League?

MLS has a very long way to go to compete with European leagues. Until we stop signing players that are in their late 30's that are HUGE marketing names because of what they achieved in Europe while in their prime and start making HUGE names because of what they do in MLS during their prime we won't be able to compete! It will take time and a lot of money to make that happen. We are on the way to already seeing progress but in my honest opinion it will take 20, 30 years to create a history, name and financial stability to make sure that we can see that kind of world class product on our field week in and week out. Sure we can beat teams in a one off match but I am not sure may teams in MLS could pull it off week in week out in the top 5 euro leagues.

I Like the CONCACAF champions league very much and can't wait to see MLS teams dominate that competition. Still waiting.

Q. How do you think MLS stacks up against other leagues in Concacaf, specifically Liga MX?

LIGA MX and MLS are very different because of the styles. The type of player playing in Mexico is slightly more technical than what we see in the Average US player playing in MLS. I prefer MLS because to me it's easy on the eye, a style of Soccer that I enjoy watching and playing.

Q. Who do you think should be in the starting 11 for the USMNT going into 2018?

It is anyone's guess who will be playing in the US National team at that time. I must admit I was very impressed with the US U20 side that played recently in NZ. They took a Serbian side that went on to win it all the way to the wire. They had 4-5 real gems in the mix so hopefully we see a few players come through the ranks. MLS is doing a fine job of producing talent but I am frustrated that we don't have any World class players on the squad right now or even coming through the ranks.

Q. What are the major differences in style of play that you expect to see under Patrick as compared to Jason?

I feel like Jason struggled to get across to his players exactly the style he wanted in his first season and that's normal because he was just getting to understand his players and the tools he had to deal with. Defensively he did not have the players he needed to make sure his attacking team was covered however under Patrick I think we will see a much more aggressive defensive side first and foremost a very tough team to beat but when they get the ball in the opposition half I expect the money players to do the business. That's what we all want to see and that is what I expect will shoot us into the play-offs. Goals goals goals...

Q. What player/players for NYCFC do you think will have more minutes this season than last season and why? What are your thoughts on Patrick Vieira, Patrick Mullins, and Kwadwo Poku? If you had to buy an NYCFC jersey would it be the home or away jersey and who's name and number would you put on it?

Poku will play more! Without even trying he is a player that has it all.
Hopefully Khiry Shelton will find health because this year is really important for his development as a Soccer player, He has to be training and playing as much as he can. I see him living the professional soccer player's life on social media without actually doing anything in the game yet! It's time for him to come good and make it happen, he has the talent or at least what I have seen say she has some tools that could become something special. The rest is up to him.

I loved Patrick Vieira as a player, It'll be interesting to see if he can translate to the coaching ranks, I guess he has a year of time to have success otherwise he might be on his way back to Manchester. I think he will be a success.

Patrick Mullins is a solid player. Someone you can rely to give 100% and also come up with a goal when you really need it. Only time will tell if Patrick Vieira feels the same.

I would 100% go for the away Jersey! I'd have Wingert #17 to support my boy.

Q. As fans, we all have high hopes for the team going into the season. Hope aside, what reasonable expectations should we have for NYCFC in 2016?

Play offs. Anything less is an absolute failure! We have the best City in the USA, the most passionate fans, the most incredibly professional front office and the best broadcast coverage in the league... The team and their results must come!!!

Q. When you show up to each stadium before a game, are there certain other press boxes' food that just makes you cringe at the thought of eating (and what is it)? And if/when that happens, do you make a mad dash to the concourse for something else - if so, then what is the meal?

I am a very healthy and light eater before I go on air. Nothing is worse than needing to make a dash during a broadcast. However after the games the broadcast crew always go to Hard Rock Cafe at Yankee stadium for a beer and some good well earned food.

Q. What was it like to play for St. Pauli, particularly after playing for Hamburg? Do you ever see fan ownership being a thing in MLS? Who's your favorite ever soccer commentator / pundit?

Playing for FC St Pauli was one of the best things the ever happened to me in my life. The club, it's fans are simply incredible. It's not just a soccer thing it's a life experience to be at a club like St Pauli and enjoy a match day. I am very lucky that I played in a very good team that had a lot of success and now that team will go down as St Pauli legends forever.

I don't think we are too far away from having a team in MLS owned by fan's. Portland is a close as it gets to that. They pretty much run the club no matter who is in charge! They are a special club. Also one that I was lucky to have ever represented.

I grew up watching Andy Gray break down matches with Richard Keys on Sky Sports. They are the best duo I have ever head or watched on TV talking about Soccer. I learned something from them every single time I watched and still do now.
Since my switch to FOX Sports to fulfill my dream of becoming a host I have learned from some of the best in the game. Gary Lineker, Ed Chamberlin, Jim White and now day to day working so closely to Rob Stone! But I also love Jimmy Fallon, He is my idol and hopefully one day I can be half as good as he is as a talent.

Q. Hello Ian, do you plan on unretiring to wear our sky blue?

Since I retired in 2010 I have played soccer only 2 times. A legend game in Hamburg back in 2012 and then a testimonial for my St Pauli team mate Fabian Boll back in 2014. I couldn't move for 4 days afterwards.
I love fitness and keep myself in great shape but playing soccer requires the best fitness levels in any sport. I have no desire to put myself through that pain ever again.

I do miss the locker room laughter and game day experience of being on the field a place where nobody can touch you or playing in front of 30.000 fans. That is a feeling that you can never replace.

Q. What formation do you think is the best to have Pirlo, Villa and Lampard on the pitch at the same time?

I think that we have to go for 4 at the back first and foremost. 2 sold aggressive reliable center backs that can get us out of any mess. Full backs that love to push forward to can also do the tracking back.

I would like to see us have 4 in midfield with 3 up front. I'd even consider Pirlo as DM (even though I thought Jacobson was outstanding for us there) and Lampard as AM. Nothing better than watching Frank have a free role to bust into the box like he always does.

I would have to give Poku an opportunity to play where ever he wanted to because he is the key to success for me. He can make Magic happen and if we can find his best position then we could be in for a special season.

Q. In regards to competing and being considered a top level league...should MLS figure out a way to realign their season so it coincides with the worlds top leagues?

I don't think it's at all possible to play MLS through winter. Great example would be the crazy weather we just saw in NYC and the trouble that it brings. No place to train and matches cancelled. Not good for business at all. We all want to enjoy the best MLS product we can and I believe it's best played through the summer.

Q. Ian, first off, my girlfriend loves the way you say "progress". Second, who would you sign as NYCFC's next designated player, within reason/financial limits?

Well I know for sure that it's a work in "PROGRESS"... but I would like to see ZLATAN in NYC. I want to see the best in the world playing here and I just don't see Messi or Ronaldo coming now or next year however ZLATAN is a player who can still play at the highest level because his fitness levels are through the roof and I think he has the character to light up New York City. The best city in the world! Can you imagine all the aggressive, rude, opinionated journalists trying to break ZLATAN!!!

I all seriousness I think it's a possibility ZLATAN will be in MLS in 2016 or 2017 and I want him in NYC.

Q. Where do you see the relationship between MCFC and NYCFC going from here? What do you think the best usage of the EDS loanees are?

The most important thing for NYCFC is to be challenging for an MLS cup and giving our fans the best product we can on the field so that you can be entertained. I am not sure that bringing Kids from Manchester City's youth or reserve team is the right answer. Those kids are untested at the men's professional game week in and week out and on the same note I'm not sure it's best for City to be sending their players away to this type of league to improve! MLS is really tough!

MCFC and NYCFC have a terrific partnership I can tell you that first hand because I see it every time I am around the club but at the end of the day "The City Group" want results and who comes first in that pecking order..? MCFC for sure so they will always be the big cheese and we can only hope we get some TLC now and again so that we can win a trophy!

Q. How much do you get to actually enjoy the games you cover? And how has calling games as opposed to watching/playing in them changed your understanding of the game?

My passion in media is to be the host of a show a role which I am loving right now at FOX Sports but calling games is something that I am so very passionate about. I get into the game more than you could imagine! If there was a camera in the booth you would see exactly what I am talking about. Last season especially when we went through the spell of not being able to win a game it was very testing because I had no real answer, the guys were trying their best but we're simply not good enough. I do not hold back on my criticism as you know to well. I believe it is my job to tell it exactly how I feel and see.

Watching games is easy! I have never had a bad game while watching one!!!!!!! Playing is pressure... Not easy. You must be on your A game in everything you do before and during the game. When you win there is nothing better. Or maybe it's just relief.

Q. As someone who's played in various countries, how much of a role do language barriers play in the cohesion of a squad, and an individual player's happiness?

Great Question. This is huge! I can tell you from both sides. I played in Germany for 5 years and for the first 6 months I did learn the language, I was playing for HSV Hamburg's U23 side so all the guys were young, watched a lot of MTV and movies so therefore spoke perfect English and on top of that we were winning a lot of games. THEEEEEEEN we started losing games and our coach "German legend" Thomas Doll (who spoke not one word of English) started to yell at me in German during games... After realizing I understood nothing he was saying he sent me to German School 4 hours every single day. Within a month I was speaking almost fluent German.

So to answer your question as a foreign player I believe it shows a sign of respect to the club, players and fans that you are understanding the language and communication on the field is very important.

When I was playing at RSL we had a large Spanish speaking group of players which included Javier Morales, Fabian Espindola and Jamison Olave. Javi and Fabi spoke or understood English but Olave did not and at times he could not communicate with simple instructions which helps him when the coach is yelling at him to run more on the training field but doesn't help when I am telling him to move up, down, left, right or even man on... It's though.

If I were a coach in MLS every single player must speak English.

Q. Do you have a system you like to use to access notes/stats/info on the teams? I remember seeing some pretty cool examples of the note-taking that some commentators use for each game, but I'm sure everyone is different. This is the stuff I'm talking about btw:

http://8by8mag.com/nick-barnes-commentary-notes/

I have my system which I have used since I started working in the media 4 years ago. I always try to learn and improve in any way I can. ALL of my work is done on an iPad using notes so that I don't have to use papers and have all my files in one place. It's simple to find a stat from a game that took place 4 months ago because I have it will me everywhere I go. Try doing that with paper! And it's nice to have use of the Internet during a game as well.

Each game day I will have my team names and numbers down on paper using fluorescent colors but that's about it.

Every single person that works on TV for sports events has their own style and sometimes it's really cool to see how they do it. If I see someone do something I like I will try to integrate it with my work.

Q. Do you go into games with any idea of what you might say about a player or event (prepared phrases etc) or does it come naturally?

Everything I do during a game comes to me at the moment because we have no idea at all how a game is going to play out. Joe might have something planned out because he does most of the talking especially when the game is a quit one.

Nothing better than going with the flow of the Moment. My passion come out all the time and hopefully you all feel that. I love Soccer so much and I love being a part of this club since it began.

Q. If you had the opportunity to call a game with one commentator, who would it be and why?

Martin Tyler. He is the best in the world at what he does and is an absolute legend of our beautiful game.

I actually share the same agent as Martin and have communicated with him over text message a few times to pick his brain.

Q. How do you project the starting XI now that we got Harrison? Where do you think PV plays Mix and Poku?

It's too early forme to go into he first eleven but I will you that there is a great deal of completion for places now at the club. Some new, apparently better defenders have signed and hopefully that'll make it much more improved. It's needs to be!!!

Midfield is tough because of the formation. We don't know how Patric wants his team to play. I can't wait for the season to begin for this reason.

Mix has to improve! Simple as that. He is absolutely not guaranteed a starting role in the team. He did not have a good season as far as his performance was concerned.

Poku should in my opinion be given a free role! 1st question of the season. "Where would you like to play?"

Q. How is your passion for football rubbing of on your kids?

My 9 year old daughter Madison was Born in Hamburg and know's everything she needs to know about FC St Pauli. She loves watching soccer and has already been to an NYCFC game. She is very very passionate about life and her favorite city in the world is NYC.

My 1 year old Daughter Alessandra will sit with me and watch about 10 minutes before she gets fed up. She has my aggression so I can see her trying to follow in my footsteps as one of the most yellow carded players ever to play soccer.

Baby #3 will be arriving late July. Let's see if this one comes out with a penis this time because I am surrounded by girls.

Q. Thoughts on Jack Harrison joining the team and his possible future role?

I don't know anything about this kid except that he has a very good reputation. It means nothing to me because I like to judge a player with my own eyes and will do the same with Jack. This club needs youth, and needs to give youth a chance. Let's hope Jack is good enough to grab it with both hands.

Q. - What are your thoughts on Jason Kreis's tenure at NYCFC? From the day he was hired to fired, not just during the actual season.
- How many years do you think we can keep Poku on the roster?
- How bad is Yankee Stadium for the players to have to play on compared to the average MLS stadium?
- Do you think NYCFC/YES should send the announce team out to away games?
- When do you think that NYCFC will be able to win MLS Cup?

I am absolutely shocked and disappointed that Jason was fired after only 1 season. I know Jason personally having played for him at RSL but continue to have a good friendship with him and I can tell you he was the most disappointed man involved with NYCFC that the club did not reach the play offs in season 1 or get the results they wanted. Jason is a real talented coach and will be back coaching very soon that's for sure.

I think Poku can stay in MLS for at least 1 more Season. I know for sure that there has been offers on the table already for him. In Germany I know the tops teams are watching him very closely. Poku can play in any team in the world. He is that good! It's up to him how far he goes.
What I really believe will happen is that he lights it up this season and will be sold to a European club (possibly City) for a large fee and will transfer either in the summer or end of MLS season. I hope he goes to Germany because I think it's a great step but seriously this kid could play for Barcelona one day and fit in just fine.

Yankee stadium must be incredibly to play on. The stadium is great, the atmosphere is great and the grass is good. Size of the field is a little tight but not a bad thing for this team because they like to play good soccer. One day we will have our own stadium and it'll be a beautiful one. (Hopefully the commentary booth will be as well)

YES will one day send us to all away games but unfortunately it al comes down to money. Who pays for what... We all want to be on location and understand our viewers deserve that so its only a matter of time.

MLS cup can be won this season. Why not... The challenge is making the play offs and then anybody can win the MLS cup. WHY NOT US???

And finally...

- What would be your dream match to call? Any team ever, club or country, any venue.

I have a few dreams...

- NYCFC vs NYRB in the MLS cup final to be played in NEW YORK CITY.
- FC St Pauli's first ever Champions league game (In German)

- I want to host a soccer show at the World Cup. Pre-Post or highlights... I don't care. I did one already in 2014 and my studio was on the Copacabana in RIO. What an amazing feeling that was but I want to do it for FOX. My new family on the biggest stage in Soccer!!!

Also ---

Before I go I want to thank all NYCFC fans for the incredible support you have shown me since I arrived at the club and began working with YES Network. It really has meant so much to me.

Some fans (2 or 3) have been a little disgruntled as to why I tweet about RSL or Portland Timbers and as most of you know I played for both of those clubs and they both hold a special place in my heart. This doesn't mean that I support those clubs over NYCFC because I can tell you now that when I accepted the job to cover NYCFC I Fell in love with the club in a very very big way. NYC is the best city in the world and one day we will all celebrate success with our club.

I want to be working with NYCFC forever. It's a simple as that. I am here for the long run and I will continue to give you all my everything because I want to and because you the fans and this club deserves the best that I can give.

If you see me around the city or at Yankee stadium please feel free to come say hi. I appreciate each and every one of you for what you have done to make this club so special after only 1 season.

Best of luck for 2016 and let's hope it's a good one on the field.

IJ (Twitter - @JOYPAULIAN)

Last edited by a moderator:
He answered all my questions, what an awesome guy! Love having Ian in the booth, where it's at Yankee Stadium or in front of a green screen.

Reactions: Kjbert
He answered all my questions, what an awesome guy! Love having Ian in the booth, where it's at Yankee Stadium or in front of a green screen.

lol.....man cant they at least have a live feed in the background not just a freeze frame

It's interesting that he says on the one hand that MLS should stop signing players who are in their late 30s, but on the other hand that he wants Zlatan (who will be 35 on his next birthday) here at NYCFC this year or next year.

What this means to me is that it is pointless to say that MLS should stop signing players who are in their late 30s. Of course no one wants a team full of players that old. Still, at any given moment, it is likely that there are several players of that age who can make significant contributions to an MLS team.

I would hope that MLS teams will continue to be open to signing such players, as they have done with Drogba, Pirlo, and Lampard.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
It's interesting that he says on the one hand that MLS should stop signing players who are in their late 30s, but on the other hand that he wants Zlatan (who will be 35 on his next birthday) here at NYCFC this year or next year.

Yeah, I thought much the same thing when I read it. I guess that he meant Zlatan to be a guilty pleasure, though.

Dodged the tough question, I see.

Thanks Ian, and the mods for putting it together!

What I really believe will happen is that he lights it up this season and will be sold to a European club (possibly City) for a large fee and will transfer either in the summer or end of MLS season. I hope he goes to Germany because I think it's a great step but seriously this kid could play for Barcelona one day and fit in just fine.

If we trade Poku!!! during the summer window after getting through to the fourth stage of grief - I will circle right back around to anger and burn Yankee Stadium to the GROUND.

Good luck playing on our new pitch.
so-bronx-trash&doll483x394.gif

Good stuff. He brings something to the table with this team. Hope he stays around. Idk why, but I was thinking about that game that didn't air cause of that stupid Yankee rain delay. It cracked me. Anyways. Ibra, Ibra, Ibra. Lampard will be gone. We'll still have Pirlo & Villa. Made me think of the not so distant days of this...

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Success! Ian has now responded to our comments and has replied to pretty much every question we asked. If your question didn't get answered then we apologise but the answers are at Ian's discretion only.
Before I give you all the Q&A, NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan had these words he wanted to add in response to Ian and his immense willingness to work with us and answer all of these questions, plus the tireless efforts of Ian and also Joe Tolleson as NYCFC's inaugural matchday commentators:

I would echo Dan's words and add that I think we owe Dan himself a debt of gratitude for his work in arranging this.

With that said, on to the questions!

Q. As an announcer, what kind of access do you get to the players? And what is your relationship like with them as a former player? Is it one of colleagues? Are you playing the role of journalist with them? Do you ever offer advice (especially to the younger players)?

A. The access we get near the players is normally pretty good. I always try to visit the practice the day before match day and usually spend 10-15 minutes with the guys after practice talking the game, getting some tactics or just catching up with friends. I know Chris Wingert very well as we played together at RSL in 2008 & 2009 and I have also played against 5-6 of the other guys so it's a god relationship we have.

On a game day the access is much tougher and I know all of us at the network get frustrated that we don't get quick access or even access at all to players or coaches following a game.

Q. Ian, you have the greatest voice in sports announcing. With that out of the way, what is your explanation for Poku's lack of starting time last year?

A. Thank you for the compliment. You wouldn't be able to guess that I was born in San Diego, CA with the accent I have!!! I am bless that I was raised in Scotland because there is no doubt having the accent has helped speed up my career in media.

As regards to the Poku situation it's a tough one. He is a very very talented player! He truly can go all the way to the top if he really dedicates himself to wanting to achieve that goal. Last season he was very frustrated because he always wants to play. I think his fitness for whatever reason held him back because at times in games he would just fade out of the match or not have the energy to track back but the true answer to that question Only Jason Kreis can answer because I would have played him every single game.

Q. What should we expect from YES network's NYCFC coverage, assuming it continues, this upcoming year? (Any improvements, especially with regards to pre/post match coverage?)

Last season was the first time that me & Joe had met each other let alone work with one another and also the team we have of Producers Carlos De Molina & Jim Daddona t were all hand picked by the bosses Woody Freiman & John Filippelli we had never worked together before so to see the performance from each one and the tremendous response we got from the viewers blew us all away. We are putting together plans for wha we can add to our match day experience for the viewers and hopefully it'll be something special. Regardless we will continue to bring it every single game for you all.

Q. What do you think MLS has to do to be one of top 5 world leagues, and what do you think of the proposed unified Americas Champions League?

MLS has a very long way to go to compete with European leagues. Until we stop signing players that are in their late 30's that are HUGE marketing names because of what they achieved in Europe while in their prime and start making HUGE names because of what they do in MLS during their prime we won't be able to compete! It will take time and a lot of money to make that happen. We are on the way to already seeing progress but in my honest opinion it will take 20, 30 years to create a history, name and financial stability to make sure that we can see that kind of world class product on our field week in and week out. Sure we can beat teams in a one off match but I am not sure may teams in MLS could pull it off week in week out in the top 5 euro leagues.

I Like the CONCACAF champions league very much and can't wait to see MLS teams dominate that competition. Still waiting.

Q. How do you think MLS stacks up against other leagues in Concacaf, specifically Liga MX?

LIGA MX and MLS are very different because of the styles. The type of player playing in Mexico is slightly more technical than what we see in the Average US player playing in MLS. I prefer MLS because to me it's easy on the eye, a style of Soccer that I enjoy watching and playing.

Q. Who do you think should be in the starting 11 for the USMNT going into 2018?

It is anyone's guess who will be playing in the US National team at that time. I must admit I was very impressed with the US U20 side that played recently in NZ. They took a Serbian side that went on to win it all the way to the wire. They had 4-5 real gems in the mix so hopefully we see a few players come through the ranks. MLS is doing a fine job of producing talent but I am frustrated that we don't have any World class players on the squad right now or even coming through the ranks.

Q. What are the major differences in style of play that you expect to see under Patrick as compared to Jason?

I feel like Jason struggled to get across to his players exactly the style he wanted in his first season and that's normal because he was just getting to understand his players and the tools he had to deal with. Defensively he did not have the players he needed to make sure his attacking team was covered however under Patrick I think we will see a much more aggressive defensive side first and foremost a very tough team to beat but when they get the ball in the opposition half I expect the money players to do the business. That's what we all want to see and that is what I expect will shoot us into the play-offs. Goals goals goals...

Q. What player/players for NYCFC do you think will have more minutes this season than last season and why? What are your thoughts on Patrick Vieira, Patrick Mullins, and Kwadwo Poku? If you had to buy an NYCFC jersey would it be the home or away jersey and who's name and number would you put on it?

Poku will play more! Without even trying he is a player that has it all.
Hopefully Khiry Shelton will find health because this year is really important for his development as a Soccer player, He has to be training and playing as much as he can. I see him living the professional soccer player's life on social media without actually doing anything in the game yet! It's time for him to come good and make it happen, he has the talent or at least what I have seen say she has some tools that could become something special. The rest is up to him.

I loved Patrick Vieira as a player, It'll be interesting to see if he can translate to the coaching ranks, I guess he has a year of time to have success otherwise he might be on his way back to Manchester. I think he will be a success.

Patrick Mullins is a solid player. Someone you can rely to give 100% and also come up with a goal when you really need it. Only time will tell if Patrick Vieira feels the same.

I would 100% go for the away Jersey! I'd have Wingert #17 to support my boy.

Q. As fans, we all have high hopes for the team going into the season. Hope aside, what reasonable expectations should we have for NYCFC in 2016?

Play offs. Anything less is an absolute failure! We have the best City in the USA, the most passionate fans, the most incredibly professional front office and the best broadcast coverage in the league... The team and their results must come!!!

Q. When you show up to each stadium before a game, are there certain other press boxes' food that just makes you cringe at the thought of eating (and what is it)? And if/when that happens, do you make a mad dash to the concourse for something else - if so, then what is the meal?

I am a very healthy and light eater before I go on air. Nothing is worse than needing to make a dash during a broadcast. However after the games the broadcast crew always go to Hard Rock Cafe at Yankee stadium for a beer and some good well earned food.

Q. What was it like to play for St. Pauli, particularly after playing for Hamburg? Do you ever see fan ownership being a thing in MLS? Who's your favorite ever soccer commentator / pundit?

Playing for FC St Pauli was one of the best things the ever happened to me in my life. The club, it's fans are simply incredible. It's not just a soccer thing it's a life experience to be at a club like St Pauli and enjoy a match day. I am very lucky that I played in a very good team that had a lot of success and now that team will go down as St Pauli legends forever.

I don't think we are too far away from having a team in MLS owned by fan's. Portland is a close as it gets to that. They pretty much run the club no matter who is in charge! They are a special club. Also one that I was lucky to have ever represented.

I grew up watching Andy Gray break down matches with Richard Keys on Sky Sports. They are the best duo I have ever head or watched on TV talking about Soccer. I learned something from them every single time I watched and still do now.
Since my switch to FOX Sports to fulfill my dream of becoming a host I have learned from some of the best in the game. Gary Lineker, Ed Chamberlin, Jim White and now day to day working so closely to Rob Stone! But I also love Jimmy Fallon, He is my idol and hopefully one day I can be half as good as he is as a talent.

Q. Hello Ian, do you plan on unretiring to wear our sky blue?

Since I retired in 2010 I have played soccer only 2 times. A legend game in Hamburg back in 2012 and then a testimonial for my St Pauli team mate Fabian Boll back in 2014. I couldn't move for 4 days afterwards.
I love fitness and keep myself in great shape but playing soccer requires the best fitness levels in any sport. I have no desire to put myself through that pain ever again.

I do miss the locker room laughter and game day experience of being on the field a place where nobody can touch you or playing in front of 30.000 fans. That is a feeling that you can never replace.

Q. What formation do you think is the best to have Pirlo, Villa and Lampard on the pitch at the same time?

I think that we have to go for 4 at the back first and foremost. 2 sold aggressive reliable center backs that can get us out of any mess. Full backs that love to push forward to can also do the tracking back.

I would like to see us have 4 in midfield with 3 up front. I'd even consider Pirlo as DM (even though I thought Jacobson was outstanding for us there) and Lampard as AM. Nothing better than watching Frank have a free role to bust into the box like he always does.

I would have to give Poku an opportunity to play where ever he wanted to because he is the key to success for me. He can make Magic happen and if we can find his best position then we could be in for a special season.

Q. In regards to competing and being considered a top level league...should MLS figure out a way to realign their season so it coincides with the worlds top leagues?

I don't think it's at all possible to play MLS through winter. Great example would be the crazy weather we just saw in NYC and the trouble that it brings. No place to train and matches cancelled. Not good for business at all. We all want to enjoy the best MLS product we can and I believe it's best played through the summer.

Q. Ian, first off, my girlfriend loves the way you say "progress". Second, who would you sign as NYCFC's next designated player, within reason/financial limits?

Well I know for sure that it's a work in "PROGRESS"... but I would like to see ZLATAN in NYC. I want to see the best in the world playing here and I just don't see Messi or Ronaldo coming now or next year however ZLATAN is a player who can still play at the highest level because his fitness levels are through the roof and I think he has the character to light up New York City. The best city in the world! Can you imagine all the aggressive, rude, opinionated journalists trying to break ZLATAN!!!

I all seriousness I think it's a possibility ZLATAN will be in MLS in 2016 or 2017 and I want him in NYC.

Q. Where do you see the relationship between MCFC and NYCFC going from here? What do you think the best usage of the EDS loanees are?

The most important thing for NYCFC is to be challenging for an MLS cup and giving our fans the best product we can on the field so that you can be entertained. I am not sure that bringing Kids from Manchester City's youth or reserve team is the right answer. Those kids are untested at the men's professional game week in and week out and on the same note I'm not sure it's best for City to be sending their players away to this type of league to improve! MLS is really tough!

MCFC and NYCFC have a terrific partnership I can tell you that first hand because I see it every time I am around the club but at the end of the day "The City Group" want results and who comes first in that pecking order..? MCFC for sure so they will always be the big cheese and we can only hope we get some TLC now and again so that we can win a trophy!

Q. How much do you get to actually enjoy the games you cover? And how has calling games as opposed to watching/playing in them changed your understanding of the game?

My passion in media is to be the host of a show a role which I am loving right now at FOX Sports but calling games is something that I am so very passionate about. I get into the game more than you could imagine! If there was a camera in the booth you would see exactly what I am talking about. Last season especially when we went through the spell of not being able to win a game it was very testing because I had no real answer, the guys were trying their best but we're simply not good enough. I do not hold back on my criticism as you know to well. I believe it is my job to tell it exactly how I feel and see.

Watching games is easy! I have never had a bad game while watching one!!!!!!! Playing is pressure... Not easy. You must be on your A game in everything you do before and during the game. When you win there is nothing better. Or maybe it's just relief.

Q. As someone who's played in various countries, how much of a role do language barriers play in the cohesion of a squad, and an individual player's happiness?

Great Question. This is huge! I can tell you from both sides. I played in Germany for 5 years and for the first 6 months I did learn the language, I was playing for HSV Hamburg's U23 side so all the guys were young, watched a lot of MTV and movies so therefore spoke perfect English and on top of that we were winning a lot of games. THEEEEEEEN we started losing games and our coach "German legend" Thomas Doll (who spoke not one word of English) started to yell at me in German during games... After realizing I understood nothing he was saying he sent me to German School 4 hours every single day. Within a month I was speaking almost fluent German.

So to answer your question as a foreign player I believe it shows a sign of respect to the club, players and fans that you are understanding the language and communication on the field is very important.

When I was playing at RSL we had a large Spanish speaking group of players which included Javier Morales, Fabian Espindola and Jamison Olave. Javi and Fabi spoke or understood English but Olave did not and at times he could not communicate with simple instructions which helps him when the coach is yelling at him to run more on the training field but doesn't help when I am telling him to move up, down, left, right or even man on... It's though.

If I were a coach in MLS every single player must speak English.

Q. Do you have a system you like to use to access notes/stats/info on the teams? I remember seeing some pretty cool examples of the note-taking that some commentators use for each game, but I'm sure everyone is different. This is the stuff I'm talking about btw:

http://8by8mag.com/nick-barnes-commentary-notes/

I have my system which I have used since I started working in the media 4 years ago. I always try to learn and improve in any way I can. ALL of my work is done on an iPad using notes so that I don't have to use papers and have all my files in one place. It's simple to find a stat from a game that took place 4 months ago because I have it will me everywhere I go. Try doing that with paper! And it's nice to have use of the Internet during a game as well.

Each game day I will have my team names and numbers down on paper using fluorescent colors but that's about it.

Every single person that works on TV for sports events has their own style and sometimes it's really cool to see how they do it. If I see someone do something I like I will try to integrate it with my work.

Q. Do you go into games with any idea of what you might say about a player or event (prepared phrases etc) or does it come naturally?

Everything I do during a game comes to me at the moment because we have no idea at all how a game is going to play out. Joe might have something planned out because he does most of the talking especially when the game is a quit one.

Nothing better than going with the flow of the Moment. My passion come out all the time and hopefully you all feel that. I love Soccer so much and I love being a part of this club since it began.

Q. If you had the opportunity to call a game with one commentator, who would it be and why?

Martin Tyler. He is the best in the world at what he does and is an absolute legend of our beautiful game.

I actually share the same agent as Martin and have communicated with him over text message a few times to pick his brain.

Q. How do you project the starting XI now that we got Harrison? Where do you think PV plays Mix and Poku?

It's too early forme to go into he first eleven but I will you that there is a great deal of completion for places now at the club. Some new, apparently better defenders have signed and hopefully that'll make it much more improved. It's needs to be!!!

Midfield is tough because of the formation. We don't know how Patric wants his team to play. I can't wait for the season to begin for this reason.

Mix has to improve! Simple as that. He is absolutely not guaranteed a starting role in the team. He did not have a good season as far as his performance was concerned.

Poku should in my opinion be given a free role! 1st question of the season. "Where would you like to play?"

Q. How is your passion for football rubbing of on your kids?

My 9 year old daughter Madison was Born in Hamburg and know's everything she needs to know about FC St Pauli. She loves watching soccer and has already been to an NYCFC game. She is very very passionate about life and her favorite city in the world is NYC.

My 1 year old Daughter Alessandra will sit with me and watch about 10 minutes before she gets fed up. She has my aggression so I can see her trying to follow in my footsteps as one of the most yellow carded players ever to play soccer.

Baby #3 will be arriving late July. Let's see if this one comes out with a penis this time because I am surrounded by girls.

Q. Thoughts on Jack Harrison joining the team and his possible future role?

I don't know anything about this kid except that he has a very good reputation. It means nothing to me because I like to judge a player with my own eyes and will do the same with Jack. This club needs youth, and needs to give youth a chance. Let's hope Jack is good enough to grab it with both hands.

Q. - What are your thoughts on Jason Kreis's tenure at NYCFC? From the day he was hired to fired, not just during the actual season.
- How many years do you think we can keep Poku on the roster?
- How bad is Yankee Stadium for the players to have to play on compared to the average MLS stadium?
- Do you think NYCFC/YES should send the announce team out to away games?
- When do you think that NYCFC will be able to win MLS Cup?

I am absolutely shocked and disappointed that Jason was fired after only 1 season. I know Jason personally having played for him at RSL but continue to have a good friendship with him and I can tell you he was the most disappointed man involved with NYCFC that the club did not reach the play offs in season 1 or get the results they wanted. Jason is a real talented coach and will be back coaching very soon that's for sure.

I think Poku can stay in MLS for at least 1 more Season. I know for sure that there has been offers on the table already for him. In Germany I know the tops teams are watching him very closely. Poku can play in any team in the world. He is that good! It's up to him how far he goes.

Yankee stadium must be incredibly to play on. The stadium is great, the atmosphere is great and the grass is good. Size of the field is a little tight but not a bad thing for this team because they like to play good soccer. One day we will have our own stadium and it'll be a beautiful one. (Hopefully the commentary booth will be as well)

YES will one day send us to all away games but unfortunately it al comes down to money. Who pays for what... We all want to be on location and understand our viewers deserve that so its only a matter of time.

MLS cup can be won this season. Why not... The challenge is making the play offs and then anybody can win the MLS cup. WHY NOT US???

And finally...

- What would be your dream match to call? Any team ever, club or country, any venue.

I have a few dreams...

- NYCFC vs NJRB in the MLS cup final to be played in NEW YORK CITY.
- FC St Pauli's first ever Champions league game (In German)

- I want to host a soccer show at the World Cup. Pre-Post or highlights... I don't care. I did one already in 2014 and my studio was on the Copacabana in RIO. What an amazing feeling that was but I want to do it for FOX. My new family on the biggest stage in Soccer!!!

Also ---

Before I go I want to thank all NYCFC fans for the incredible support you have shown me since I arrived at the club and began working with YES Network. It really has meant so much to me.

Some fans (2 or 3) have been a little disgruntled as to why I tweet about RSL or Portland Timbers and as most of you know I played for both of those clubs and they both hold a special place in my heart. This doesn't mean that I support those clubs over NYCFC because I can tell you now that when I accepted the job to cover NYCFC I Fell in love with the club in a very very big way. NYC is the best city in the world and one day we will all celebrate success with our club.

I want to be working with NYCFC forever. It's a simple as that. I am here for the long run and I will continue to give you all my everything because I want to and because you the fans and this club deserves the best that I can give.

If you see me around the city or at Yankee stadium please feel free to come say hi. I appreciate each and every one of you for what you have done to make this club so special after only 1 season.

Best of luck for 2016 and let's hope it's a good one on the field.

IJ (Twitter - @JOYPAULIAN)

Amazing answers Ian. It's a real pleasure to have you call our games. I can't wait for the season to start.