Developing Players

MrE

Registered
Jun 1, 2014
Do you think NYCFC is a farm team?

I have seen this accusation several times.

I DON'T THINK SO and here I give my reasons why

1) The CFG know this will turn supporters off and damage the clubs reputation.
2) CFG want a strong NYC so that they are a "top" club in the MLS as it grows

In relation to point 2.
Chopping and changing a team will never let it flourish, develop and grow. Teams need freshening up every now and then, but regular wholesale changes caused by recalling or selling a player when he is ready (farming) will only harm the team.

What I foresee happening is
1) City Group, will develop the best American young talent (whether in England or the US) to ensure that there is a core of "local" players within the club in years to come.
2) NYCFC will purchase marquee players as necessary to complement and enhance the core group. As the MLS strengthens then so will the strength of the Marquee Signings

It is inevitable that some City Group young players will get to hone their skills at other City Group clubs. Some will make it and be recalled to the parent club, some wont. Without suggesting a pecking order what is to say that some NYC youngster wont hone his skills in (say) Japan.
Some players (wherever from)wont get the recall but may be able to do a job in the league they are playing in and continue there careers there.
This happens now when players go out on loan, some get called back, others move on with there new club.

But I only see perhaps two or three of the academy players in each SQUAD, and they will be the cream of the crop, the rest of the SQUAD will be core players, the ones to give the club the consistency it needs to grow.

The people pushing the farm team crap are New Jersey Red Bull fans which is hilarious because there's a red bull Salzburg, Leipzig, Brazil and Ghana. Ridiculously hypocritical. The others are bitter cosmos fans. No one cares, their team will fold in 2 years at most. And the rest are fans of other teams who feel threatened because we're backed by CFG.

In addition to your "What I foresee happening is "
3) As leagues overlap, it is possible some players will be loaned out for a short period to get upto match fitness
4) City Academy lads could be loaned out or sold to NYCFC or Melbourne City
5) If NYCFC came across a proper true World talent, I'd expect City to keep a very close eye on his performance, as I suspect they would get first refusal.
Note: this is not the same as being farmed out, as coming across a player at this level may only occur once every few years
6) City players coming to the end of their careers will potentially be offered places at either of the other two clubs, this will allow them to continue playing (if they want to of course), give them one last pay day, bring more prominence to another club, and allow that club to have someone with a hell of a lot of experience

In addition to your "What I foresee happening is "
3) As leagues overlap, it is possible some players will be loaned out for a short period to get upto match fitness
4) City Academy lads could be loaned out or sold to NYCFC or Melbourne City
5) If NYCFC came across a proper true World talent, I'd expect City to keep a very close eye on his performance, as I suspect they would get first refusal.
Note: this is not the same as being farmed out, as coming across a player at this level may only occur once every few years
6) City players coming to the end of their careers will potentially be offered places at either of the other two clubs, this will allow them to continue playing (if they want to of course), give them one last pay day, bring more prominence to another club, and allow that club to have someone with a hell of a lot of experience

Sorry Bluewolf, I think some of your points are short termism. As the MLS develops over the next few years the end of career paydays will dwindle.
The only way academy lads will be loaned out inter group in a few years is if the academy is a joint City group accademy.

Sorry Bluewolf, I think some of your points are short termism. As the MLS develops over the next few years the end of career paydays will dwindle.
The only way academy lads will be loaned out inter group in a few years is if the academy is a joint City group accademy.

Other than the "World class talent", I placed no timeframe for my post.
What I said is for the imminent future, not something that will happen in 20 years time.

Its completely illogical that a "farm team" would be started in New York of all places. Where's the sense in spending so much money just to waste the potential of such a colossal market. If the intention was to create a farm team then surely they would have chosen a less notable market. The location would have been absolutely irrelevant and infact they surely would have favored somewhere else. They didn't pick the media capital of the US (and indeed the World) for something so ridiculous. The people making the "farm team" argument will believe what they want to believe.

The owners of this club are not asinine imbeciles. Kreis isn't an idiot either.

Reactions: einwindir
Tell me more about Kreis, he is obviously a name in the MLS, but not well known in the UK (not decrying him), what is his track record, what do you expect from him.
In the EPL the average tenure for a manager is under two years, what is it like in the USA, if you didn't have Kries who would you want ?

Tell me more about Kreis, he is obviously a name in the MLS, but not well known in the UK (not decrying him), what is his track record, what do you expect from him.
In the EPL the average tenure for a manager is under two years, what is it like in the USA, if you didn't have Kries who would you want ?
Jason Kreis is a child of MLS. He was one of the very first college players chosen in MLS's very first year, now almost 20 years ago. He played for Dallas, from 1996 until 2005. While with Dallas he became of the most prolific scorers in league history (I believe he is still #5 on the list). He is the ultimate poacher, becoming an expert in being in the right place at the right time to score. He became Salt Lake's very first player in later 2005 and was their captain until 2007. Near the middle of the season in 2007 Salt Lake fired their coach and Kreis retired to become the new coach. It was a audacious move since Kreis had zero experience. Kreis is a perfectionist and demands excellence from his staff and players. He was like this as a player and is like this as a coach/manager. He is also a shrewed scout, finding players like Jamison Olave, Javi Morales and Alvaro Saborio (MLS greats). He also is a big believer in building a core to any team. Star youth players across the US have essentially demanded to be on Salt Lake (Luis Gil). He led the only MLS team to the North American equivalent to the Champions League final only to just lose out to a Mexican powerhouse. He won MLS in 2009, he led Salt Lake back to MLS Cup last year.

My opinion he will:
  1. Build a strong core of players
  2. Mix vets and youth
  3. scout for Non-USA talent (especially latin America) to compliment strong USA players
  4. A striker mentality
  5. Slow and steady win the race mentality.
  6. demanding on players and himself
  7. Super-serious

Here is a good video about why he left a great job in Salt Lake to come to NYCFC:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ing-leaving-real-salt-lake-taking-new-york-ci

And there is also this:
338469092_medium.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/7/5/2259635/animated-jason-kreis-stink-eye

:)

Reactions: NYCBlue
He was just the best man for the job.
Sidenote: I'd love nothing more than for us to acquire Hempstead's best players (Not Senna) just to have them rot in the dugout.